FANIME DANCE 2011: WHAT MUSIC STYLE DO YOU NOT WANT TO HEAR AT THE DANCE?

Started by eHash, January 23, 2011, 09:36:37 PM

WHAT MUSIC STYLE DO YOU NOT WANT TO HEAR AT THE DANCE?

Hip Hop/Top 40s
16 (43.2%)
Mashups
1 (2.7%)
Dub Step
3 (8.1%)
Asian Pop
1 (2.7%)
Breaks
0 (0%)
House (any)
1 (2.7%)
Trance
3 (8.1%)
Happy Hardcore
10 (27%)
Jungle/DnB
1 (2.7%)
Gabber
1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: February 22, 2011, 09:36:37 PM

eHash

This is the negative poll, be sure to also cast a vote on the positive poll.
Be aware, even if you vote hear, you might still hear it :)  It just gives the coordinators a little something extra to think about when selecting the DJs for this year.

haircurl

Oh whoops, I thought this was positive... Can I take back my vote for top 40's?

squarebubblex

Top 40s, I definitely dont want the most. I can get that anywhere, in any club.. I'm honestly only super excited for going because of the ASIAN POP, especially KPOP!!! I will drag all my friends there if you promise to play Shoujo Jidai  ;D ;D ;D It's like the one time that we can dance around to kpop and jpop, why waste valuable dancing time with Top 40s music? If I want Top 40s, I can go clubbing.. if I want Trance, I can go to a rave.. but kpop and jpop, I cant dance around to that anywhere else in America (except my livingroom) :P I'm not saying there should be NONE of these, because some people like it more than kpop/jpop, but please play lots of kpop/jpop ^^

Necara

Quote from: squarebubblex on February 06, 2011, 11:41:41 PM
Top 40s, I definitely dont want the most. I can get that anywhere, in any club.. I'm honestly only super excited for going because of the ASIAN POP, especially KPOP!!! I will drag all my friends there if you promise to play Shoujo Jidai  ;D ;D ;D It's like the one time that we can dance around to kpop and jpop, why waste valuable dancing time with Top 40s music? If I want Top 40s, I can go clubbing.. if I want Trance, I can go to a rave.. but kpop and jpop, I cant dance around to that anywhere else in America (except my livingroom) :P I'm not saying there should be NONE of these, because some people like it more than kpop/jpop, but please play lots of kpop/jpop ^^
I definitely agree with this. Even though I love and want to hear some pop, I think especially at a con, some good k/jpop remixes/msahups would be the way to go.

c2chaos

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

Junon

Aw poop, I WANTED Hip-hop TOP 40's.

For NOT WANT I woulda chosen Happy Hardcore.

Necara

Quote from: Junon on February 07, 2011, 02:01:24 PM

Soulmates~
I despise happy hardcore.

kookiekween99

ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

♔Apple♔

Honestly, I like all the genres of music presented in the poll, but I voted down Hip-hop/Top 40 because fanime is supposed to be strange and underground. I would like to steer clear from anything normal that weekend. ^^; If I had to vote down anything else, I'd say Happy Hardcore. >_>;

Dubstep and Mashups. Woo.
アップル♔

"You show the lights that stop me, turn to stone
You shine It when I'm alone." Beautiful song...

squarebubblex

Quote from: Necara on February 07, 2011, 04:55:59 PM

Soulmates~

What's happy hardcore? o_o It sounds like upbeat rock XD
Edit: -youtubed it- I like it! It sounds like music you can spaz around to ^^ I cant really tell the difference between the different sectors of electronic but lol it sounds so hyper~
Edit again: Ok... after 10 minutes of this I'm annoyed and my brain is melting. An dI really love hyper fast music but for some reason this... o_o Maybe only include this in small portions, like 3-5 mins at a time, and then divide it up with the other genres >__<" VARIETY!

And YEAH mashups would be awesome!! Dooooo it!

kookiekween99

I think happy hardcore is nice in small doses. You know, mixed in between other songs. But I can see how a constant stream of happy hardcore might get annoying.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

GoodAsianDriver

I think a couple of us may want to re-vote. is there a way to do that?
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

eHash

No revotes, I'm probably going to close the poll soon.  Your feedback/comments are the more important thing.

GoodAsianDriver

I think, as other commentors have noted, Fanime should play music that we can't hear anywhere else. And, based on past years it looks like there will be enough of a crowd that will want to dance to the big umbrella of EDM. Even though I spin top 40 and hip hop, I think these genres should be avoided because its available at so many other venues. What's special about anime cons should be the anime music, jpop, and other songs that may be affiliated with otaku culture.

If we're not going with a bloc of one musical genre per dj session, then, in my opinion, (and again this is just personally me) it should be possible to get five minutes of happy hardcore and five minutes of dubstep every hour. While not overbearing, it's something to satisfy the ones who like the two genres, and it's not too long for the people who hate the genres. Dub step tends to be in slow bpm range and happy hardcore the opposite (arguably the same ends of the 'horn' (180 bpm = 90 bpm)), but the moods of the two bpm ranges prevent dancers from completely exhausting themselves out while keeping them on the floor. Ideally dj's should know when to drop happy hardcore and dubstep based on crowd reaction. I don't really like too much of either, but I think they can be tactfully implemented.

--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

DaKree~

Damn, too late to vote. I really wanted HipHop/Top 40s there myself. Great grinding music haha. But seriously, it's the most danceable music to me.

100% against Happy Hardcore. By all means.

Danger

Quote from: Necara on February 07, 2011, 04:55:59 PM

Soulmates~

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whipits + happy hardcore = the most incredible fucking the mind can recieve

taki-desu

I really think we shouldn't play hip hop (which is my friends don't even attend the dance, we can do this at our high school) since Fanime is a one year event have something a bit more "fanime".
They don't have to play happy hardcore :|But er Hip Hop and top 20s? No.
I'm socially awkward I can't dance to that =A=

Mod edit: It's called a dance:)

eHash

The dance management team has taken all your feedback (positive and negative) into consideration.

For every person that hates a certain genre there will be one who wishes they heard it.  As a DJ, the skill is in keeping the continuity with the crowd's acceptance of what is played.  If in a situation you hear Justin Bebier it would most likely have been a request by a group of people who would equally dissent on another's choice.

We can't make everyone happy, but we can try to cater to as many as possible.

DJs that have been selected are given the freedom to perform a set of their choice, but the feedback presented
in this thread will be conveyed to all of them.

There will be a published schedule this year highlighting the genre's you are most likely to hear during each set.

Most of the DJs have a fixed format, especially the headliners from Japan, so don't be offended if they won't take your request.

As for the high school dance remarks.  Not everyone who attends Fanime is in high school and many people into Hip Hop/Top 40s may equally feel socially awkward in a non-fanime setting and would appreciate some music from that genre. 

Our goal this year is not to present a trance-a-thon, but present a better managed event with diversity.  We are hopeful, and so should everyone else.  If you have a request, you can post it on the positive forum to be considered.  Don't forget, the true destination for multi-genre requests is the Black and White Ball, where continuity and beatmatching is less of a priority.