FANIME DANCE 2011: WHAT SHOULD WE DO WITH THE 2nd DANCEFLOOR THIS YEAR?

Started by eHash, January 23, 2011, 09:55:42 PM

WHAT SHOULD WE DO WITH THE 2nd DANCEFLOOR THIS YEAR?

18+
13 (40.6%)
Different Music Styles
16 (50%)
More of the same
1 (3.1%)
Get Rid of It
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: February 22, 2011, 09:55:42 PM

eHash

Many people have not known about the 2nd dancefloor in the Hilton for the past 3 years, but we hope to market it better this year.
Your feedback is valuable.

princesskitty18

i voted for 18+ but if ppl really dont kno about it
might as well just get rid of it
why pay the extra money for the dance floor
when that money can be used towards somethignh else in the first dance floor
or somethign else in general throughout fanime yea?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Arkham

Advertise it better.
I didn't even know there was a 2nd dance floor until seeing this thread.
--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

darkknightcecil

squarebubblex

I voted for different music styles :P It'd be so cool to have a special smaller dancefloor dedicated to just asian pop.. LOL -dreaaaams-

kookiekween99

Different music so people will stop complaining about electronic dance music in the main room.

Also, I didn't know about this until just now.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

lycheejelly

Eighteen plus, please, and maybe hip hop like it was in previous years.

I would love something with more of a mature feel to it, without having to worry about people conga-lining through the middle and all of that.  I mean that's fun and fits the idea of an anime convention, but sometimes I just want to dance and groove, not just simply wave glow sticks around.

I know there was a smaller population because of that, but I think with better advertising you'd bring the right people in.
Fanimaid 2014 Staff

Mango Bunny

There was a second dance floor?????

I kind of agree with scrapping it. Put the money somewhere else.

Different music would be the best non-scrapping it option to me, but even better would be different music blocks in the main dance.

What is good about 18+? I don't really understand why it makes a difference.

eHash

Points of clarification:
<1> If you vote for 18+, please state why
<2> There has not been a direct cost associated with this room in the past (may change this year).  In the past, the sound, lighting, djs were all volunteer.

darkknightcecil

Hey, Why was it 18+ I found it pretty annoying, Keep checking my ID even though they know i am over the age. (staffer)

kookiekween99

Personally, I don't quite understand the point of an 18+ dance. I would love it if someone explained to me the difference.

lycheejelly

I had hoped I explained enough with my previous post, but I'll try to explain more.

And mind, I am saying this at the very very high risk of seeming ageist.  I apologize for that.  xD  

To make the second dance floor eighteen plus is not as an offense to those under eighteen.  Instead, the idea is that this dance floor will have a mature feel to it simply by stating that it is eighteen and over.  It'll discourage things like conga-lining and running amok and bumping into other dancers (which as I said in my previous post is fun sometimes and really fits the idea of an anime convention, but is not always wanted when someone just wants to just have a normal dance venue.  There has been many times when I was trying to have fun with friends but I've gotten rudely shoved out of the way by someone going a little crazy.)  Also, having an eighteen plus room will allow there to be less restrictions and worries about things such as edited songs, a DJ making adult jokes, and more scandalous dancing (which I'm not into all the time, but whatever.)

And please, don't get me wrong!  I am in no way saying that someone under eighteen is incapable of contributing to a more mature dance floor.  And I am in no way saying that everyone over eighteen will be interested in something like this, or that they don't make up a good portion of the active dancers at the main dance floor.

With an eighteen plus dance floor, Fanime will have a space for adults to socialize.  There is a /big/ atmosphere difference in having something eighteen plus.  An example would be comparing Yaoi-con to Fanime.  It's not just that there's "adult material" everywhere, but people act different, whether that's a good thing or not.  Compare it to a high school dance, to a fraternity party that only lets kids with student IDs in, to a downtown club with older adults.

I know there's lots of points here with which you could argue against me.  For example, why have an eighteen plus dance floor at an anime convention?  Well, because it's an anime convention.  I would love to meet older people who like manga and anime as much as I do in a dance setting.  That's something one normally can't do.

Another one: Why not just change the music to hip-hop or Top 40s?  And this one I do agree with a lot, actually.  Yes, there can be very serious ravers and places that pump electronic music, but in my experience, the electronic music at the main Fanime dance floor make people become more silly.  And that's fun (sometimes)!  And I'm not saying Hip-Hop or Top 40s isn't silly either.  It just once more contributes to the overall feel of the room.  BUT if the room is eighteen plus and isn't just limited to one type of music, then it can be sexy and also sometimes play rave music if that's what people want.

And feel free to bring up arguments against me as long as you're polite about it. I know the things I said aren't quite solid.  I'm just hoping that I brought up some points for the staff to consider.

TLDR;

I'd go to the main Fanime dancefloor to be silly and active.  But I think an eighteen plus dance floor (rather than just a change of music  that allows all ages), could contribute more to a "chill, sexy, and intimate" floor that I would much rather go to, especially late at night.  If Fanime is able to have less hectic dance floor without having to make it eighteen plus, I'm all up for that.

What was the reason for the second dance floor to be eighteen plus originally?  I remember seeing it a couple years ago.  =O  I hope I'm not too far off as to why it was there in the first place.

By the way, I am very scared that me writing this long post might bring up drama.  So just a note: I'll probably take it down if it offends anyone, which will sadly make it so my opinion isn't heard, but I really hate forum drama.  xD
Fanimaid 2014 Staff

kookiekween99

I didn't think you were being rude. You handled it in probably the least offensive way. I only would have been upset if you said something like "All teenagers dance crazy and all adults dance civilized-like."

I get what you're saying, but if it's been 18+ in the past and it hasn't gotten very many people, then maybe it's time to approach it from a different angle. And it doesn't necessarily have to be limited to any one type of music. Just schedule it so whatever DJ is in there spins a different style than whatever's in the other room.

Suppose I'm in the main room and I'm really feeling the beat until the DJ goes and messes around with dubstep. I leave the floor, but I still wanna dance somewhere. So I walk over to the second dancefloor, and the DJ's playing hardcore. Suddenly, my evening is saved.

And if in the second room, the same DJ played a happy hardcore track. I would stay, because I'll admit, I actually like happy hardcore. (Go ahead, flame me, whatever, but I still say "Little Kandi Raver" is my favorite song.) But I'm sure a few people would leave to check out what's going on in the other room and still be able to enjoy themselves.

Just my two cents. :)