Swap Meet 2011 Info SWAP MEET 5/25/11 *THURSDAY BADGES UPDATED*

Started by angeljibrille, February 15, 2011, 01:05:27 PM

angeljibrille

OK, I lied... one more update:

LIST OF BADGES FOR THURSDAY

http://www.anime-online.com/fanime-swapmeet/thursday.php

This list tells you if I will have your badge or not. Enjoy <3

SELLER FORM

All sellers need to fill this out! Thanks :)

http://anime-online.com/fanime-swapmeet/2011SwapMeetForm.pdf

SWAP MEET SPACE MAP

As promised:
http://anime-online.com/fanime-swapmeet/swapmeet_map_2011.pdf

As you can see, we were able to squeeze in 124 spaces, so some of you waiting list people are in luck. The rest of the room will be filled with Gaming stuff, so it's not empty like it looks on the map :)

We did make sure to put a "gap" between those two front rows this year, there will be a 10ft space, so people can walk down the middle of the "aisle".

OK, and with this, I am officially going *computer e-mail phone silent*. I've got a lot of stuff to do pre-convention!

I'm not sure where we are going to put the lines yet, but you can see the door you are going to be going into with this map. By 5pm on Thursday we will have it set up, which is why no one should get in line before 5pm! :)

See you all there!

BADGE INFORMATION UPDATED

***** NEW INFORMATION *****

To answer a few of common questions:

1. If you are the Group Leader: yes, I will have your *entire* group's badges.

2. You only need to have *one* badge to be able to sell and that badge needs to be the main person on the Swap Meet List. I don't need whomever your second person is to have a badge (though it is suggested), but they do need to check in at the Swap Meet desk with us if they are going to be selling in your space - they will get a hand stamp if they do not have a badge.

3. Panel people: apparently you received a card from the head of Panels that allows you to pick up a badge on Friday only. That's the card I need you to bring when you check in. If you don't know what I'm talking about: contact [email protected] to find out about your Panel Card or if you even qualify for one.

4. I *cannot* pull anyone else's badges but the people who were on the list. Please don't ask me to do so, no matter what your special circumstance is. This was a *huge* favor done on our behalf by Registration. We may change the way it works next year, since this was so last minute, but if we want to make Registration willing to do this in the future... we need to make it an easy process for them. They agreed to pull the Swap Meet Reg & Waitlist badges for Thursday only, and they are pulling the exact names plus the associated group members if that person is a group leader. Everyone else will need to wait in the normal registration line. Thank you for understanding.

Badges are REQUIRED for all sellers on both Thursday and Friday. We strongly suggest pre-registering for the convention if you plan to participate.

Now the good news!

Thursday evening sellers AND waiting list participants will be able to get their badges when they check in for Swap Meet at the Swap Meet Registration Desk in Exhibit Hall 3!!!!

This is only for Thursday sellers.  Please note: we will only have FanimeCon Badges on Thursday for those individuals we have as the primary contact on the Swap Meet Registration List and who pre-registered.

You DO NOT need to wait in the FanimeCon Registration line, you will be able to wait in the Swap Meet Registration line instead and get your badge when you check in for Swap Meet. Again, this is *only* for Thursday and *only* for those who pre-registered. However, if you registerd as a Group, we will not have your badge unless you are the Group Leader. If you have a Panel Discount and won't get your badge until Friday, please bring your Panel Card to us instead of a badge. We will NOT be selling new badges, this is only for pre-registration. Everyone else will need to take care of getting their own badges in the normal FanimeCon Registration line.

If you no longer want to participate in Swap Meet and don't want us pulling your badge, please e-mail me now to cancel! [email protected].

If you don't show up for Swap Meet, we will return all remaining badges back to FanimeCon Registration @ 9:00pm and you will need to wait in the normal FanimeCon Registration line the next day to get your badge.

Hopefully this news makes happy campers for all involved.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks to Registration for the extra effort involved to make this happen.

REGISTRATION CLOSED -- FINAL LIST HERE

RULES POSTED!

Registration has been moved to open on March 15!

This is due to server upgrades, etc. Please see exact time and other information below. Thank you for your patience.

Basic info:
1. Registration should open on March 15 @ 11:59pm. The link will be posted in this thread and on the web site. However, I have a toddler and if an emergency comes up, this date may get pushed back a couple of weeks. Check this thread for info.

2. The Rules are here! Know them, etc.

3. Rules are *RADICALLY* different this year due to a bunch of people doing inappropriate and in some cases illegal things last year. We had to put the big stompy foot down and we are changing the guidelines. Be prepared to read the rules thoroughly and understand them, because we are going to boot people this year for breaking the rules and the rules will be strictly enforced.

4. Swap Meet will be held from 8pm - 1am on Thursday May 26 and Friday May 27.

5. All registration (even waiting list!) is pre-registration Online. If you do not pre-register, you *will not* get in. Period. So plan on registering online once it opens.

6. If you plan to participate GET THERE EARLY to get your badge. We are *NOT* letting you in without a badge this year. Your badge will be marked with a participation sticker for each day. You must have *ALL* your items ready-to-go when you check in at the Swap Meet desk. There are no in-and-out privileges (with boxes - you can send someone out for food that's ok); you must have everything with you period (no going to your car, hotel room, dealer's room, etc.).

7. You will also need your signed contract, and a Government-issued Photo ID showing you are over 18.

8. DO NOT plan on lining up before 5:00pm We will be *dispersing* the line if you get there before 5:00pm.

9. When you register *online*, you will get a number for each day (example: 19). We will have "Southwest Style" grouping areas in the line outside (1-20, 21-40, 41-60, etc.). If you are #19, you would get into group 1-20. You will be served according to your number. So, #1 is first, then #2, etc. There will be signs posted outside of Exhibit Hall 3 with your Last Name and your Registration number, in case you forgot what it is.

10. Waiting list people will be served according to where they are in the waiting list line (not based on a number). So, first-come first-served. Waiting List line will also start at 5:00pm, do not line up before that.

The full list of Rules & Guidelines is coming, but this should answer basic questions.

Feel free to ask more questions in this thread, but I won't be answering much until after the Rules are posted because most of the answers will be in that document.

Thanks all!

Marisa
Swap Meet (and Masquerade) Head

Nina Star 9

I have a question about acceptable items.

It says that used cosplay items are allowed, but what about handmade used fashion items? I might try to sell an old (used) lolita dress that I made years ago, but I'm worried that it won't be accepted because it is handmade and is not a cosplay item.

Thank you!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 16, 2011, 07:37:25 PM

It says that used cosplay items are allowed, but what about handmade used fashion items? I might try to sell an old (used) lolita dress that I made years ago, but I'm worried that it won't be accepted because it is handmade and is not a cosplay item.

Thank you!

Totally fine.

Thanks!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 16, 2011, 07:37:25 PM

Actually, let me clarify this further.

The reason for the revised (and stricter) rules this year, are because of people who were intentionally breaking the rules last year or ... "bending" them. Here were our main problems:

1. People bringing in additional items (or having friends bring them in) that were not searched for prohibited items.

2. Dealers (instead of occasional sellers) bringing in huge amounts of new unopened things. This event is primarily for *used* items and *not* dealers. Before anyone freaks out, a portion of your items can be new - I know I have stuff for sale that I bought but never opened. However, people who are clearly buying/importing new items in bulk should be selling in the Dealer's room and not circumventing the fees the other dealers have to pay. This is a Garage Sale / Swap Meet, not "how to get around paying for a Dealer's Table".

3. People selling adult items as 90% of what they were selling, and not carding or concealing their goods as requested. We found these items also bypassed check-in and were brought in by friends, which is why we are having a strict "you bring it with you and no in-out privileges" this year.

4. People selling their Artist Alley Wares and Commissions.

If you don't fall into these 4 categories, you very likely have nothing to worry about.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 15, 2011, 01:05:27 PM
RULES POSTED!

9. When you register *online*, you will get a number for each day (example: 19). We will have "Southwest Style" grouping areas in the line outside (1-20, 21-40, 41-60, etc.). If you are #19, you would get into group 1-20. You will be served according to your number. So, #1 is first, then #2, etc. There will be signs posted outside of Exhibit Hall 3 with your Last Name and your Registration number, in case you forgot what it is.

Not even going to Fanime this year but I'm super-glad to see this (along with other changes) were implemented!

Nina Star 9

Perfect, thank you!

Another quick question -- if I have some oo~oold posters that I'm not sure are official or not, can I bring them by anyway and then just toss them out if you guys don't approve them? I just want to make sure that accidentally bringing in bootlegs won't disqualify me or something.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 17, 2011, 07:38:56 AM
Perfect, thank you!

Another quick question -- if I have some oo~oold posters that I'm not sure are official or not, can I bring them by anyway and then just toss them out if you guys don't approve them? I just want to make sure that accidentally bringing in bootlegs won't disqualify me or something.

Yes this is fine. Typically it's the ... laminated "copied" posters that are prohibited. We won't let you sell those, but trashing them is no problem.

Xeluu

So I do have a question.

Why the change in how you check in? Prior to last year when I sold it was a first come first served for spaces in order of who lined up first. Last year's change was a big surprise, as my sister and I had lined up right at 5pm, and essentially had wasted 3 hours waiting for a good spot only to be told to move to wait until our number was called. Friday we knew about the change, so we didn't bother lining up early, but it was very frustrating on Thursday. (Not to mention on Friday someone was already in the spot we'd been assigned, so we were moved. XD )

Again, just curious as to why this change? I can see how it would be easier for the staff running it to check people in, but if you have a list with names and numbers wouldn't it be nearly as easy to just pull the people who lined up first and ask them for their number?

Sorry, bit long winded here, I really do enjoy the swap meet, it's allowed me to off load a buncha my old things that were just taking up space, along with allowing me to find some things I'd given up looking for/didn't know existed.

-Xeluu
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Eurobeat King

I have a question about 2 items I want to sell.  I have these beautiful Chinese swords, which are both inside cases, and are retractable making them very compact when they're not inside the case.  They are however, live-steel but have no sharp edges and the tip is blunt  Since I've never inquired about selling air-soft weapons, I wasn't sure if my swords were allowed to be sold or not.  And if I am allowed to sell them, only to those over the age of 18? (request for I.D.?)

Thanks for any info!
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

angeljibrille

Quote from: Xeluu on February 23, 2011, 11:54:01 AM
Why the change in how you check in? Prior to last year when I sold it was a first come first served for spaces in order of who lined up first. Last year's change was a big surprise, as my sister and I had lined up right at 5pm, and essentially had wasted 3 hours waiting for a good spot only to be told to move to wait until our number was called. Friday we knew about the change, so we didn't bother lining up early, but it was very frustrating on Thursday. (Not to mention on Friday someone was already in the spot we'd been assigned, so we were moved. XD )

It was announced on the web site, but some people missed it. Also, a few people were posting old and incorrect information in places that I was not aware of (and when I found out, it was too late to notify everyone).

It was done this way because we have had an increasing problem with:

A. People doing bad things (see a few posts above)

B. WAY WAY WAY too many people showing up to sell. Also, we had people getting in line for hours before the event and causing traffic issues.

C. People said they didn't want to drag all their stuff to Fanime unless they knew *for sure* they had a place.

So, I already addressed "A".

"B" is a significant problem because of the volume of people showing up to sell. We had a lot of traffic issues, and processing the line took a very long time.

With this method, we already have a part of your info. We can confirm it's really you (via badge / ID) and you are guaranteed your spot line.

Also, quite frankly, if you are engaging in "A" you can be identified and removed quickly as well.

You know you can show up at 5:00pm to get in line and you will quickly be processed and seated in a space of your choice (from what's still available by your spot in line).

This leads into "C": you aren't dragging your stuff to Fanime if you have no chance in heck of getting in.

Last year we had (I'd have to go check numbers again) something like 150 spaces and we had over 200 people on the *waiting list*. 

Before we started online registration (4 years ago now), the line would go on forever and we had a lot of angry people that they didn't get in at all to the event to sell.

If you don't get on the main list, you still have the option of signing up for the "Waiting List" and then you can wait in line from 5:00pm on to see if you get in after we process the main line. *that* line is first-come, first-served.

Unfortuntely, with the volume of interest in this event both by swap meet sellers and attendees, we can no longer do the "if you wait there for 12 hours you get in first".

As far as you having to be moved: I apologize about that, our map was incorrect and it caused some spacing issues. Our one-size-space plan of this year should fix that issue. My sincere apologies for last year.

Thank you for understanding.

Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: Eurobeat King on February 23, 2011, 02:25:51 PM
I have a question about 2 items I want to sell.  I have these beautiful Chinese swords, which are both inside cases, and are retractable making them very compact when they're not inside the case.  They are however, live-steel but have no sharp edges and the tip is blunt  Since I've never inquired about selling air-soft weapons, I wasn't sure if my swords were allowed to be sold or not.  And if I am allowed to sell them, only to those over the age of 18? (request for I.D.?)

Thanks for any info!

Please e-mail rovers about this [email protected].  I'm going to presume it's a big "no" but I can't swear to that, so I'm going to put it on them to tell you :)

hugs~
M

Lizchan33

Quote from: angeljibrille on February 23, 2011, 10:57:03 PM

Thanks for any info!

Please e-mail rovers about this [email protected].  I'm going to presume it's a big "no" but I can't swear to that, so I'm going to put it on them to tell you :)

hugs~
M

Erm.... My post was post was edited?
Cause I remember posting that.....
QuoteI'm curious about this.... with rovers it's generally a problem if it's used with costume. In dealers hall (and I think artist alley) they can be sold but they MUST have a box to be put in. And of course buyer needs to be over 18.
I would love to see the response posted here on the forum... If it isn't answered before saturday I'll ask at the rovers meeting..... >_>

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Lizchan33 on February 24, 2011, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: angeljibrille on February 23, 2011, 10:57:03 PM

Thanks for any info!

I'm curious about this.... with rovers it's generally a problem if it's used with costume. In dealers hall (and I think artist alley) they can be sold but they MUST have a box to be put in. And of course buyer needs to be over 18.
I would love to see the response posted here on the forum... If it isn't answered before saturday I'll ask at the rovers meeting..... >_>
hugs~
M

My swords will have a box for each, and I will tell the buyer to bring them back to his/her room after the purchase.  I will say that I hold no responsibility after the purchase has been made.  :)  Sounds good?
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

tomatoes

Hi! I'm definitely interested in signing up for the Swap Meet this year, haven't before in previous years, so I have a few questions-

-Is it okay to buddy up with a friend? Or is it strictly one person per, erm, "plot" for lack of better phrasing?
-How much does it usually cost to register for the swap meet?

Thanks! And great thread!  :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: tomatoes on February 25, 2011, 02:41:26 PM
Hi! I'm definitely interested in signing up for the Swap Meet this year, haven't before in previous years, so I have a few questions-

-Is it okay to buddy up with a friend? Or is it strictly one person per, erm, "plot" for lack of better phrasing?
-How much does it usually cost to register for the swap meet?

Thanks! And great thread!  :)

Two people are allowed per space :)

And it's $20 per space.

taki-desu

I have a question myself :)
I graduate from my high school on Thursday evening but it's alright if I just attend Friday no?

FanFicGuru

Taki- I believe so. Based on my experience last year there were two separate sign ups. One for Thursday and one for Friday. :)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

angeljibrille

Quote from: taki-desu on March 01, 2011, 08:08:23 AM
I have a question myself :)
I graduate from my high school on Thursday evening but it's alright if I just attend Friday no?

Hi there :)

Yes, you can pick on a check list if you want Thursday, Friday, or Both  :)

Thanks!
Marisa

taki-desu

redroses3164

Processing registration is the same as checking in right? I'm just reading what is in the Swap Meet Rules and want to reconfirm.

Last year (or was it the year before? I forgot), I brought in a suitcase with two wheels on the bottom. Am I not allowed to this year? I just saw this:
QuoteAll displays must be crafted out of the cardboard boxes / plastic boxes you bring your goods in
so I figured I'd ask. Last time I sold stuff, I used the suitcase to hold my manga to show the spines.

For others: Anyone want to split a space with me? I don't need the full space and if someone else also doesn't need the full space but still wants to sell stuff, let me know via PM, in this thread, or via email (redroses3164ATgmailDOTcom). :]