Swap Meet 2011 Info SWAP MEET 5/25/11 *THURSDAY BADGES UPDATED*

Started by angeljibrille, February 15, 2011, 01:05:27 PM

Kyra_Maverick

Eurobeat King

Thanks for the fix! :)

I got spot #5 for Thursday, and spot #4 for Friday!   8)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Hachimitsu

yeay thank you for the fix..  ^_^!...
Now I need to make an electric fence perimeter and make sure no one steals!

bluwmonkeygod

Well thanks for the quick fix and at least the its up now. you know this is the first time in the 4 years I've done swap meet that I actually preregistered. Usually I look for some random person to share a spot or line up in the wait list line really early. Hooray for preparedness this year.

tomatoes

Yay! Thank you so much for the swift fix!!  :D

Also wondering, when do we actually pay for the registration (and is Thurs + Friday payment separate, or inclusive?) o.o? And I thought we also had to supply our badge/registration number?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: bluwmonkeygod on March 16, 2011, 12:44:33 AM
Well thanks for the quick fix and at least the its up now. you know this is the first time in the 4 years I've done swap meet that I actually preregistered. Usually I look for some random person to share a spot or line up in the wait list line really early. Hooray for preparedness this year.

BRING BAGS!... your fellow customers will thank you ALOT!.....
besides I keep forgetting to bring bags >_<!

angeljibrille

Quote from: tomatoes on March 16, 2011, 12:47:37 AM
Also wondering, when do we actually pay for the registration (and is Thurs + Friday payment separate, or inclusive?) o.o? And I thought we also had to supply our badge/registration number?

You pay when you check in, on both Thursday and Friday. So you pay 20 on Thurs, 20 on Friday.

You don't have to supply your reg number until you get to the convention and check in at the Swap Meet.

Thanks!!

angeljibrille

Quote from: redroses3164 on March 02, 2011, 11:50:44 AM
Processing registration is the same as checking in right? I'm just reading what is in the Swap Meet Rules and want to reconfirm.

Yes!

Last year (or was it the year before? I forgot), I brought in a suitcase with two wheels on the bottom. Am I not allowed to this year? I just saw this:
QuoteAll displays must be crafted out of the cardboard boxes / plastic boxes you bring your goods in
so I figured I'd ask. Last time I sold stuff, I used the suitcase to hold my manga to show the spines.

This is fine, we just don't want people bringing bookshelves and clothes racks and stuff like that.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Avairrianna on March 15, 2011, 03:50:39 PM
Do you have to have a Fanime registration already processed before we can sign up for a swap meet spot tonight?

No, you just need to have it at the convention when you check in at Swap Meet. Thanks!

Ecchi ja Nai

Whew! Made it in the first 10 for both days!  I was starting to have a mini panic attack, wanting to make sure I would be able to reserve a spot.  I don't think it's just my own perception that swap meet seems to be getting larger and larger every year.  I mean, did anyone actually notice the reduced space size for sellers this year?  On the one hand, it always seemed like 4 people could easily fit and work in previous full-spaces of 10x10, but to not have that option this time... makes me wonder how many people staff are expecting to be selling this year.

Now the only thing I have to worry about is the logistics of getting all my stuff in there in one trip.  I won't have nearly as many boxes as I had last year, but I don't think I'll have any buddies to help with the load, either.

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 16, 2011, 12:48:04 AM
BRING BAGS!... your fellow customers will thank you ALOT!.....
besides I keep forgetting to bring bags >_<!

Totally got that covered.  I've been saving bags every year for swap meet, and I've yet to run out.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 16, 2011, 12:14:07 AM
LAst time I missed this event, we ended in spot #99 >_<!... not a very perfect ideal spot but hey IM just happy we made it for both thursday and friday!...
im just kinda shocked how people Cross into our swapspot and drop soda and ketchup and ruined the Tshirts!, tried to ask them to pay our merchandise and all we ever got was an apology, has anyone had issues with people crossing the swap spots?

We are trying to change how it's set up this year (in the room) so stuff like that is less frequent :/

Eurobeat King

Quote from: tomatoes on March 16, 2011, 12:47:37 AM
Yay! Thank you so much for the swift fix!!  :D

A badge isn't necessary for Thursday, but Friday's requires one.  (Unless they changed it this year?)  

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 16, 2011, 12:54:32 AM
Each night of the Swap Meet that you are participating in, you check-in, pay the fee, and then the staff will collect your registration form, check your items, and then take you to your spot.  The badge # usually is written on the pre-reg. form.  A badge isn't necessary for Thursday, but Friday's requires one.  (Unless they change it this year.)  

I'm pretty sure they have changed it.  angeljibrille will probably have a reply up for this shortly, but I think they've restricted it this year to only people with badges allowed on Thursday as well.

angeljibrille

Quote from: redroses3164 on March 16, 2011, 12:20:18 AM
I don't think the server will have too much damage with roughly 30 or so people (at least according to how many people are looking at this thread right now). Unless it's that crappy of a server.

Actually -- I spent a crap ton of money to get this new dedicated server just for Masquerade and Swap Meet registration. It was working perfectly fine yesterday; I had people testing the databases and the SSL cert was in place. Then, this afternoon, the site was completely hosed. I've been fighting with them all day to get it fixed. It should be fixed for Masquerade reg, but unfortunately it was not done in time tonight for Swap Meet. I'm so sorry. It's been horrible >.<

If you FTP into the server, there are thousands of duplicated files, it's just completely and utterly hosed.... I'm not sure what the heck they did to it.

Hachimitsu

BE ADVISE::
thursday is'nt much of a big deal, I mean I thought thursday would be a busy Swap meet, but when we got in it felt like... there was something missing....
so if anyone is going for both days, KEEP all the good items for the one day that counts the most.... Thank God its Friday!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 16, 2011, 12:26:33 AM
What bothered me in 2009 and 2010 was that I had a spot in the middle, and there was an empty space (that wasn't marked off) next to me, and some kid walks up, and opens his backpack and starts selling the small items (manga, videos, etc.) that he has with him.  (This was in 2009)  This guy didn't register for a spot, and simply just entered the Video-Game room and showed his items to people, made a few bucks, and then left.   >:(

Well, the same thing happened in 2010 on Thursday, not-sure if it was the same kid, but this time I was ready and when a kid started setting his stuff up, I got a staffer who confronted him, and then kicked him out of the room.  :D  

Keep an eye out for any of these idiots this year if you are in the middle-part of the Swap Meet room.

No one is going to be allowed into the room with a box this year unless they come in our entrance; we are going to have a lot more security staff and real staff this year involved. Last year the problem was we couldn't get enough help, and we had vols who would completely flake out and let anyone in. That's not going to be the case this year.

Please DO report this stuff if you see it; we'll take care of it.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Xeluu on March 16, 2011, 12:28:05 AM
Only other question: last year we brought one of those folding chairs people use at parades, that won't be a problem to bring again this year to sit on while selling, right?

Absolutely fine!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Anon on March 16, 2011, 12:22:39 AM
they had TABLES??? I want tables... leaving my stuff on the floor for people to step on sucks

We can't do this do to union and facility regulations. Basically you would end up paying dealer fees to bring a table :( sorry!

Hachimitsu

Quote from: angeljibrille on March 16, 2011, 12:59:50 AM
What bothered me in 2009 and 2010 was that I had a spot in the middle, and there was an empty space (that wasn't marked off) next to me, and some kid walks up, and opens his backpack and starts selling the small items (manga, videos, etc.) that he has with him.  (This was in 2009)  This guy didn't register for a spot, and simply just entered the Video-Game room and showed his items to people, made a few bucks, and then left.   >:(

Well, the same thing happened in 2010 on Thursday, not-sure if it was the same kid, but this time I was ready and when a kid started setting his stuff up, I got a staffer who confronted him, and then kicked him out of the room.  :D  

Keep an eye out for any of these idiots this year if you are in the middle-part of the Swap Meet room.

No one is going to be allowed into the room with a box this year unless they come in our entrance; we are going to have a lot more security staff and real staff this year involved. Last year the problem was we couldn't get enough help, and we had vols who would completely flake out and let anyone in. That's not going to be the case this year.

actually thats the one thing i wanan ask....
in case if theres less...staff will you make anouncement as well? never hurts to make an announcement stating "we need volunteers" for Swap meet!....

Eurobeat King

Quote from: angeljibrille on March 16, 2011, 12:59:50 AM

Since I got a low # I'm going to request a WALL spot again for each night. :)  So I won't be able to spot anyone selling stuff w/o registering from my spot.  But hopefully those in the middle will read this and keep an eye out for any suspicious people.