reg questions

Started by Himeno, February 19, 2011, 12:27:12 AM

Himeno

Hi

I'm from Australia, each year (since 2005), I've gone on a round the world trip stopping at different conventions around North America (mainly to meet up with friends that I'd otherwise never get to see). I have a list of about 20 conventions in the US that I've been trying to get to, but most of them fall in the parts of the year where I can't get leave from work. Thus, I haven't been able to get to a con in California. To date I've been to Anime Detour, Anizona, Sakuracon, Connecticon, Otakon (4 times), Anime Iowa, AnimeFest, Anime Evolution (twice), Kumoricon (twice), NDK, AWA and AFO and I run Melbourne Anime Festival (Manifest) and anime.au here at home. ^_^

This year, I'm hoping to change that. It's looking like I might be able to get leave for the Fanime weekend and head across the pond to San Jose for a few days (in addition to my normal trip later in the year).

So before I go and spend around $3,000 on flights, I have a few questions related to Fanime registration.

How much does it cost? The price is not listed on the website which only gives a link to the account registration. I assume the price only shows up when the site asks you to pay – hidden somewhere after you've made an account and filled in all the details...
What gets printed on the badge? Is it like Otakon where you can put any name you want on it once you get the badge, is there no name, or is a name pre-printed?
If a name is pre-printed, does it have to be my so called "legal" name?
Why does the account reg form ask for gender as a required question?
What happens when my preferred name doesn't match the name noted on my ID?

Kyra_Maverick

You've got alot of conventions under your belt, I'm pretty jealous.

As for your questions:
Pre reg is currently $55 for the whole weekend and should stay that price until the end of March. After that is early reg for about $60 - $70.

Pre reg badges are laminated and very nice, while early and at con badges are pre printed card stock and not nearly as appealing to look at. All badges will have your badge number, legal name, fan or nick name if you supply one, and the dates of the convention. I cant remember if your gender is listed or not. For pre reg all this is printed on your badge, but early and at con get sicky labels attached to the cardstock.

As for your legal name not matching your supplied name, I suppose the bigger the difference the bigger the issue will be. I always sign up as Katie, though my legal name is Katherine. Never had an issue with that. If yours is more serious email registrationATfanime.com and you can probably work something out.

Himeno

Gender and name are fairly serious issues for me. It's the difference between being depressed and well... not being depressed. I was born with the body of the wrong gender. I get somewhat distressed when I see myself (either in a photo or in a reflective surface [such that I avoid those things whenever possible]) or when I see that little 'M' on my id.
Name is linked to the same thing. I could get it legally changed, but due to certain family issues and the cost of the actual name change and getting new documents issued, doing so isn't worth it until my documents start expiring in another 3-4 years.

ewu

I understand your situation, however upon arriving at the convention, registering your membership and picking up your badge we check your identification. So, if your information does not match your ID we may not be able to register you and issue your badge. If you have additional concerns or questions please email registrationATfanimeDOTcom.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom