Do I have to cosplay a real character? (and weapons question)

Started by Sunny_Saladin, February 21, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

Sunny_Saladin

I want to cosplay as a video game character, but I want to add some Silent Hill/Bioshock element to it.  If I wanted to cosplay a character, do I have to be the most accurate version?

I basically want to dress up as Sunny Gurlukovich from MGS4 and carry around an ADAM syringe  from Bioshock.  Is that allowed?  Or will I not be allowed in unless I put the ADAM sryinge away?

*the ADAM syringe is made of plaster, a glass baby bottle, a wooden skewer for the needle

SweetNiar

theres nothing wrong with altering a cosplay, but you might want to check the rules about props because im not sure the glass part of your syringe is allowed.

EvilBunnyKid

True. The weapons Policy is there.  But when it comes to Cosplay you can do whatever you want!  Just respect the character!  Cosplay is a way to show your love of the character(s)!

Lizchan33

You can't carry a prop for a different costume. You must be in the costume that matches the prop to have it peacebonded(which lets you walk around with it).
This is the general rule of thumb but if you have other questions I'm sure someone else will pop in to tell you. Also this seems like it should be in the cosplay section >_>.
Also email rovers[at]fanime[dot]com if you want to get a hold of rovers directly :D

Sunny_Saladin

Quote from: Lizchan33 on February 21, 2011, 04:45:23 PM
You can't carry a prop for a different costume. You must be in the costume that matches the prop to have it peacebonded(which lets you walk around with it).
This is the general rule of thumb but if you have other questions I'm sure someone else will pop in to tell you. Also this seems like it should be in the cosplay section >_>.
Also email rovers[at]fanime[dot]com if you want to get a hold of rovers directly :D

Oh sorry.  First time posting here.

well thanks.. I really wanted to bring that syringe too. 

Sunny_Saladin

HOLD IT!!!!

you said that the prop has to match the costume.   Since I'm altering a character, can I make the character appear more Bioshock related so I can carry around the ADAM syringe prop?

ewu

this is last year's weapons policy:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14106.0.html

and I am moving this thread cuz its more cosplay and less general discussion. You are more likely to get good advice there.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Sunny_Saladin

Lizchan33

Quote from: Sunny_Saladin on February 21, 2011, 06:48:04 PM
oh dear.  Still looks I can't bring the prop. :C

Yeah sorry :(
But the good thing is you found out now not at con /:)

EJAY420

hey man, these folks are kidding with you.  YOU HAVE TO COSPLAY A CHARACTER PEOPLE KNOW.  A REAL CHARACTER! NOT A MADE UP ONE!  The guards at the entrance of Fanime will notice something is up when your cosplay 'stume (cool way of saying costume-thank you iCarly) doesn't  ring a bell. Trust me, you do not wanna upset the big ninja bouncer. Cosplay safe dude.
Most Impressive.

c2chaos

Actually, there are attendees that cosplay as their GaiaOnline avatars, the convention's theme, or popular characters with bit of a twist. Gender-benders are the most common. and then there are those unusual or interesting ones, like the Mario Pimp or the Super Yaoi Brothers. This year's theme is steampunk, so it wouldn't be a surprise if attendees were to cosplay characters but steampunk-ish.
I definitely get the idea of Sunny being a Little Sister from Bioshock and I find that idea to be quite interesting, even if some people wouldn't get it.

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

BSaphire

Sunny_Saladin: Your post wasn't moved because it covers a couple of topics. If you read the 1st post of a thread in here you will get the gist of what the thread is about. This topic probably would have fit best in the Cosplay & Peace Bonding thread http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14641.0.html
1st post is policy, 2nd post is FAQ, and 3rd post is Common Cosplay Questions. Aelia the peacebonding queen is very helpful on answering question of what could be allowed.
Another section this thread could have fallen into is the The Cosplay Help Me! thread located here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13581.0.html and the 1st post there states what that thread is about. Since this is a "Who" type question peeps could help you with that.

3rd option is to look at this thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12406.0.html The 1st post here list every official gathering/cosplayer event thread url for 2011. If there is a gathering that is including MGS or Bioshock cosplayers then they would be helpful on questions concerning your cosplay.

These threads (& OTHERS) are pinned at the top of the forum so you wouldn't loose your topic thread. Read first, especially first posts, and then ask questions.

Now you want to know if it is ok to cosplay a character that has been customized? Sure, however if you plan to enter into a cosplay contest you really should read the rules to make sure custom characters are allowed. If you are just planning to run around con in cosplay it shouldn't be a problem with the convention (pending it fits the guidelines the con has) but I will warn you that you may get strange looks from people who don't understand what you are trying to do.

So that brings me to... Why would you cosplay a MGS2 character and then throw everyone off with a BioShock prop? If it is the prop you love then why not cosplay a Bioshock generic character or even one where the syringe fits as a prop to the character? Cross over cosplay can be fun to look at and even do if people get what your doing and even why. Good cross over cosplay has made me stop and take pics and talk with the cosplayer about their cosplay. For what you are describing, I don't really consider it cross over cosplay but more identity confused cosplay.

If you want to know if people will get it then test run your cosplay at a smaller con and gauge the attendees reaction as to if you should. If people come up and talk to you and take lots & lots of photos then it would probably work, but that is for you to decide. If you have to sit and explain your concept to people (especially if they are MGS fans and they don't get it) then it's identity confused and peeps won't get it.

Hope everyone has had fun... locking the thread. :)
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC