Is a dull training butterfly knife allowed?

Started by Antstep, February 25, 2011, 01:06:42 PM

Antstep

Title explains all. It is actually not a knife but a dull piece of metal that looks like one. Although from a distance, it can look pretty real. So, i was wondering if this would be ok to bring.

ewu

the rule is no live steel, thats anything made of metal.....maybe aside from cardboard covered with aluminum foil....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PyronIkari

Ah... I'm pretty certain I know exactly which trainer you have.

Here's the thing. In Cali... butterfly knives are illegal to carry around over 2.5in. Now, although it is legal to carry around a trainer, it leads to many a different problems, because unless you look at it from upclose you can't tell it's a trainer. And by upclose I mean holding it up to look at it. Anything beyond like 2 feet is questionable as to whether or not it may be a trainer or a real blade.

So although there is no law against it, it can cause problems especially if SJPD is there and they see you holding/opening/flipping it. They're not going to casually walk up to you and be like "Oh, is that a trainer or is it real?" So personally I would suggest not pulling it out in public and keep it for "private" photos if it's for cosplay.

This isn't official or anything.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PyronIkari

Quote from: Antstep on February 25, 2011, 09:05:49 PM
Ok. But just to be sure, heres a picture of it. http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Butterfly-Knife-Practice--5353

Yeah, exactly what I figured it'd be. Again, not illegal, but can EASILY cause problems.

Antstep

Yeah most likely i'll just make one out of some duct tape but it just seemed so cool.  :'(

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

username_error

you know you can make the blade out of acrylic. It will still function as a blade and you can make it really realistic and obviously no steel.
You can unscrew the blade and take it apart carefully and trace the blade on a piece of equally thick acrylic then shape it with a dremel.
and the peg can be a tiny screw. It should have the same functionality if the mechanism isn't based off of weight.
Cosplays for Fanime-
Izaya Orihara Durarara 95% Done
Suit Izaya Durarara 75% Done
Aoba Kuronuma Durarara 90% done

ewu

ok, see here for 2010's Weapons Policy:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14106.0.htm

This is a guide and 2011 may and prob will change.

Please email roversATfanimeDOTcom for more specific treatment of this item.

thread locked.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom