Are there rules to costumes?

Started by luffy77, February 26, 2011, 01:48:56 AM

luffy77

Hi, I've never been to Fanime before and I'm thinking about Cosplaying as Portgaz D. Ace.  Now unlike some other costumes of Ace where people have a skin colored shirt on I'm currently working out and getting in shape so I won't have to wear a shirt and can dress just like he does in the anime.  Would that be allowed in the con though?  I ask because I don't know if there is some rule that a costume has to have so much to it to be considered appropriate.  I know some female costumes can be revealing but with Ace it could be argued that I'm going around shirtless the whole time and a lot of times public places have the "no shirt no service" rule.

c2chaos

I believe this cosplay should be fine as long as you are not a female. :P
I've seen the Pyramid-head, from Silent Hill, go around shirtless but he had no shoes. No shoes goes against SJ Public Health Ordinance. Anyway, if other attendees reasonably deem your costume as "indecent," Rovers will have to ask you to put a shirt on or so. Also, there are shops and restaurants within walking distance of the convention, so if you want to go into those establishments, you might want to have a t-shirt on before you walk in. Since Ace happens to carry a sack, you should carry one, too, and keep a shirt in there for when you need it. Lastly, if you feel that you are being harassed, stalked, or touched inapporpriately (including getting glomped) at con and you are not okay with it, please report it to a Rover. I just want to say that because if your body does look like that, these things can happen and guys can still be victims too. lol. :P

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

roarkyo

As long as your male you should be fine, I've seen worst than no shirt at Fanime. If you plan on going anywhere else, such as to eat, you may want to bring a shirt just in case someone does happen to say something.
Fanime attendee 2007-2010
May not be able to attend 2011 or 2012 Fanime :(

luffy77

Yes I'm male so that takes care of that lol.  So basically as long as other people are ok with the costume then I should be fine?  I know you can't 100% answer this but does the general population at the con seem like the kind of people that would be ok with me going shirtless?  The only con I have been to so far is sac anime and they seemed like they would be ok with it.  I just hate to put so much into working out and making my costume only to have to cover up.

c2chaos

This kind of attire is appropriate on a public beach, so, it should be no problem. San Jose is the largest city in the BAY Area after all. XD

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

roarkyo

I think you'll fit in more with your shirt off :D
Fanime attendee 2007-2010
May not be able to attend 2011 or 2012 Fanime :(

luffy77

Quote from: roarkyo on February 28, 2011, 12:12:05 PM

lol :)  I never even considered the beach perspective, good point.  I asked the same question on the anime expo forums and someone showed this pic and said I should be fine lol.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joits/4772814815/

PyronIkari

Quote from: luffy77 on March 01, 2011, 12:24:44 AM
Quote from: roarkyo on February 28, 2011, 12:12:05 PM

lol :)  I never even considered the beach perspective, good point.  I asked the same question on the anime expo forums and someone showed this pic and said I should be fine lol.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joits/4772814815/

I'll explain this better.

Think decency. If it's something that is considered decent by local law, then realistically it is ok for the convention(this is refered to clothing only). Your action however is on its own. Like, technically it is okay to wear only a speedo and hang around the pool, but if you're playing on the fact you are only wearing that and thrusting about or the such, then it is not ok.

As long as you follow decency laws concerning clothing, you should be fine.

SOawesomeness

Remember, Fanime is a family-friendly convention! If you have doubt that a child should see your cosplay, you may want to rethink wearing it/double check with others... or rather, if the general public should be exposed as well.

(:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

EJAY420

Most Impressive.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on March 02, 2011, 12:31:05 PM
Remember, Fanime is a family-friendly convention! If you have doubt that a child should see your cosplay, you may want to rethink wearing it/double check with others... or rather, if the general public should be exposed as well.

(:

But don't let the idea disuade you from things. Some people are offended by almost anything, so just because *SOMEONE* might find it offensive doesn't mean it should prevent you. Like I said, realistic decency should be applied. If common sense tells you it should be alright, it should be alright. If common sense tells you it may cause a storm of problems, then you probably shouldn't.

luffy77

I not as worried as I was now.  If its the same as beach attire then I should be good since if I was on the beach anyway I would look like this as would a lot of other guys.....