Wig Styling Panel?

Started by IneloquentFormalties, March 03, 2011, 02:39:22 AM

IneloquentFormalties

Hi there! My friend and I are hoping to host a wig styling panel at Fanime this year. Hoping that it goes through, I was wondering, what you the attendee's feel would be good things to go over! We have written down so far things like cutting, spiking, materials to use, dying, hairlines and more! Would you guys be interested on attending a panel like this? Any thoughts, comments or questions are appreciated! :D

Edit: Our panel went through! Hooray!

We're now accepting ideas and Q&A questions for the panel.

Also, we'll be styling 1 wig at the panel itself, so any suggestions would be great! We'll also be having a quiz type game and or raffle at the end for a nice gift basket!

We've had suggestions to style a
A) General spiked wig
B) Layered Wig
C) Character wig voted on at the time of the panel.

Tumblr::IneloquentFormalities
Facebook::EloquentArtistry

Kuudere

All of those would be interesting to learn. I think (although it might not be directly related to styling) it might be a good idea to help people understand the differences between a good quality wig and a bad one, so they make informed purchases and get wigs that can be styled better. Sounds like a good idea for a panel.

redroses3164

Those are good choices. Also bring a list of good places to find decently priced wigs (shops that ship domestically, international cheap stuff like taobao, etc). I don't know if you have the facilities for it but how to dye wigs properly with various methods might be something you want to go over.

BunofGovt

I'm hoping you can also cover styling and working with a bad wig when that's all you have, since I know not everyone will have access to higher quality wigs.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

IneloquentFormalties

Thanks guys! Notes taken. c: I appreciate the suggestions, and if our panel goes through, we'll make sure to have them in there!

LadyGlitterbow

This sounds like it would be a really cool panel, and I would love to go because I have no idea how to style a wig! Yeah covering what products work best and how to cut bangs into a wig would be awesome too. Where the best deals are, and also where is there help for wig styling online, like what websites offer tutorials that are really good. That would be helpful! Hope to see you there!

IneloquentFormalties

Thanks for the suggestions! :D Wrote those down too! My fingers are crossed that our panel goes through!

RooBird

Love this idea. I'm completely clueless when it comes to wigs. That said, I hope this suggestion doesn't sound stupid/too complicated: Maybe talk about the basics for wefting a little bit? I think that would be rather helpful for newbies to wigs. I know it would definitely be helpful to me.  :D
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)

IneloquentFormalties

I'm glad you do! : D That doesn't sound stupid or complicated at all. c: My friend and I have been styling wigs for a long time. 5 years myself, and her around 6-7 years. We were thinking of having the 2 hour panel being made up of the 1st hour, which would be basic styling tips such as cutting/trimming wigs, spiking, what materials to use, where to buy, and different myths and true/false things. The second hour would be more complicated advances methods such as wefting, dying, making your own extensions, sewing things into wigs, stubbing, and a few more things. c:

.::midnight.maiden::.

Most of the other repliers have covered what I need help with...so I'm there! It would help if you could show how to style a ponytail on a wig and how to keep it to stay. I'm hoping to go as the Vocaloid Dell Honne, and he has a ponytail. Instead of buying a character wig, I was going to buy a more generic wig and style it. I might need to trim bangs, too. I hope the panel will help me learn more about styling wigs!

Also, it would be nice to have a list of local wig stylers in the Bay Area, just in case. :D Thank You!
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

BunofGovt

Had a question you may be able to address.  In a Cosmode magazine, it looked like they were styling a wig using caulking, silicone caulking.  I've wondered about trying it but wondered if you all had tried it.  Thanks.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.