8.9 Earthquake in Japan.

Started by PyronIkari, March 10, 2011, 10:57:35 PM

PyronIkari

I hope everyone is safe. I've gotten a hold of almost everyone I know, thankfully it was kind of far from Tokyo. Cities are on fire, land slides killed hundreds, billions in damage. And they're on tsunami warning now.

Still trying to get a hold of people to make sure they're safe.
\
Just got upgraded to 8.9

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

For good live coverage in English.

ice queen

It's sad and heart wrenching to watch this country going through this. I told some of my friends about this some fluffed it off like it was no big deal >.<
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

G.I.R

Just got home and found out.  There is a live video of what appears to be a natural gas storage terminal on fire.

ice queen

I hope everyone got out and are safe.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

PyronIkari

I had to stop watching the stream at about 11:15. I saw a truck speeding into the direction of the tsunami while hundreds of other vehicles were trying to escape. No doubt he was going back home to find family or something and I couldn't handle it.

Latest report over 10,000 people missing/presumed dead at this point.

jacktchance

Just contacted family in Tokyo, Osaka, and Korea.  They say they're fine, but the coasts got hit hard.  There is also a flood warning for San Francisco at 8:15.

Hachimitsu

the only good thing about san francisco is that it has alot of hills so it should'nt be a big deal about it....,  Stayed up all night and it used to be as an orange zone warning around 1am-3am, now I woke up and saw it was red around 5am -_-~!, not sure if it will be a big deal but only time would tell, I really hope my friend in japan is okay because im still concern!

un second thought just to prepare myself, IM SOO going to buy lots and lots of batteries!

PyronIkari

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 11, 2011, 01:31:20 PM
the only good thing about san francisco is that it has alot of hills so it should'nt be a big deal about it....,  Stayed up all night and it used to be as an orange zone warning around 1am-3am, now I woke up and saw it was red around 5am -_-~!, not sure if it will be a big deal but only time would tell, I really hope my friend in japan is okay because im still concern!

My biggest surprise is Japan has strict building codes to these disasters....

What's there to be surprised about. If it wasn't Japan and say San Francisco or LA, the damage would have been far worse. The fact that buildings were still standing with nothing more than some broken glass or a little bit of debris falling off is proof that their buildings were insanely earthquake proofed. For reference Northridge was a 6.7 and this completely tore buildings in half, and leveled quite a bit of land. With the epicenter at 8.9 and some parts feeling the quake at levels of 8.3 comparatively this quake was felt almost 200X stronger than the northridge quake in terms of energy release, and over 15X more shaking power. It ripped city streets clean in half, dozens of feet deep, but for the most part, the major buildings withstood the earthquake with minor damage (until the tsunami wiped them out). Sendai Airport was still standing until the tsunami destroyed it.

From a friend:

The Nagasaki bomb was 21 kilotons.

This quake was like 238-megaton bomb going off. 10,000 times more power than the Nagaski bomb. Of course it didn't have the explosive factor, but you get the idea of how powerful this quake was.

If this happened near SF, more than half the city would have crumbled down.

You're also slow on the trigger there. The tsunami has already hit the west coast. It did at approximately 8:30am. The water is still pushing up, and it was seen going through Emeryville earlier http://bit.ly/hy4uv2

SF is highly elevated so there was little worry. There has been 1 reported death in California near the Oregon border and 3 others were swept into the current(but are alive). A lot of property damage was done, but as far as lives, those are the only ones that were a result of this.

In other news, a 6.5 EQ was epicentered near Naano about 2 hours ago.

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 11, 2011, 01:48:35 PM
Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 11, 2011, 01:31:20 PM

My biggest surprise is Japan has strict building codes to these disasters....

What's there to be surprised about. If it wasn't Japan and say San Francisco or LA, the damage would have been far worse. The fact that buildings were still standing with nothing more than some broken glass or a little bit of debris falling off is proof that their buildings were insanely earthquake proofed. For reference Northridge was a 6.7 and this completely tore buildings in half, and leveled quite a bit of land. With the epicenter at 8.9 and some parts feeling the quake at levels of 8.3 comparatively this quake was felt almost 200X stronger than the northridge quake in terms of energy release, and over 15X more shaking power. It ripped city streets clean in half, dozens of feet deep, but for the most part, the major buildings withstood the earthquake with minor damage (until the tsunami wiped them out). Sendai Airport was still standing until the tsunami destroyed it.

From a friend:

The Nagasaki bomb was 21 kilotons.

This quake was like 238-megaton bomb going off. 10,000 times more power than the Nagaski bomb. Of course it didn't have the explosive factor, but you get the idea of how powerful this quake was.

If this happened near SF, more than half the city would have crumbled down.

You're also slow on the trigger there. The tsunami has already hit the west coast. It did at approximately 8:30am. The water is still pushing up, and it was seen going through Emeryville earlier http://bit.ly/hy4uv2

SF is highly elevated so there was little worry. There has been 1 reported death in California near the Oregon border and 3 others were swept into the current(but are alive). A lot of property damage was done, but as far as lives, those are the only ones that were a result of this.

In other news, a 6.5 EQ was epicentered near Naano about 2 hours ago.

you can spare the details , Also i am very sure I changed my comment! so disregard from what I said!..
as for the atomic bomb, I don't see why you brought that up?

G.I.R

I can't believe the Morons in Santa Monica and Orange county that went out out their surf-boards this morning.  I guess these idiots didn't realize a Tsunami isn't like those wind swept waves they like to surf on, that would just as soon roll under you and suck you under.