Under 18; First time at FanimeCon

Started by Ruby_Pending, March 14, 2011, 11:33:24 PM

Ruby_Pending

Well, 17 actually, and I'll be 18 in time for next Con.

In the meantime, while I understand that I would need a passport, California ID card, or a parent with a driver's license in order to pick up my Pre-Reg badge, do I need a parent for anything beyond that? I have read most of the faqs, which say that parents are responsible for us under 18, and that they can still wait in a Concourse area, but do they have to be here as long as we are here? Sounds silly imagining a bunch of adults whose only connection is that their child(ren) love(s) anime waiting for several hours inside with loud music.

I'm guessing that one the day of our visit, they just have to drop us off and the badge itself takes care of check-in, correct?

Also, what is better in general, camera or camcorder? Camera makes for better memories but camcorder can get sound, but you have to constantly hold it up. Thoughts?
And my inability to come up with a Ruby costume for this year's Con. D:

kookiekween99

As long as you behave responsibly and your parents are cool with you being by yourself, Fanime doesn't really have a problem with it as far as I know. The whole responsible parent thing mostly applies to like a ten year old or someone who might otherwise make a fool of themselves without parental supervision. However, if you burn the convention down, your parents can be held responsible.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

ispyangie

Similiar to the first post, it all depends on how your parents feel about leaving you there alone. It's pretty safe, as there are rovers around and usually other con attendees tend to look out for each other if anything.

And on your camera/camcorder thing, don't cameras and camcorders both take videos & pictures? Well, atleast mine do. So I stick with a camera since I can still take pictures and record videos if anything.
Tweet @ispyangie

SpiritOfKairi

Like the first replier said, the whole "your parents must be with you" rule mainly applies to young kids who might do something stupid if they aren't being supervised.  I was 17 the first time I went, my parents didn't come alone, and no one cared.  Long as you behave yourself like you would anywhere else, you'll be fine.

As for the camera or camcorder situation, I'd personally go with the camera.  It's much more common to take pictures of cosplayers than to shoot video, and it's much more convenient.  Unless you really like to film stuff, I'd just go with taking still shots.

Mango Bunny

I was 17 when I first went with my friends. It wasn't a problem for us.

Also, I like camera better. I think unless you're super into film/film editing you will have an easier time with a regular ol' camera.