America's Greatest Otaku

Started by heeroyuy135, March 17, 2011, 03:59:36 PM

heeroyuy135

Has anyone been keeping a track of this train wreck known as America's Greatest Otaku? I've been watching all three episodes, and I just can't help to facepalm at everything that fails in this show.

I seriously wonder what their target audience is because when your sticky notes have to explain the popularity of Fruits Basket and World of Warcraft, I wonder if this is catered to the anime fanbase or to everyone else. Also, FYI Tokyopop: In The Groove =/= DDR.

This show has a rip-off feeling of MTV's Road Rules as the "Otaku 6" attempt a goal for each stop during each episode. But even then that fails; when you do a eating contest, visiting Kansas City, and you don't use BBQ for said eating contest, I wonder who in the world came up with this concept.

But don't take my word for it, watch it for yourself.

Akito_starwind

Ya i was watching some of it, and It looks like the "Greatest Otaku" gets a Trip to Japan and anime hot spots. But Everyone that could be thought of as a Great Fan has a lot of anime wares and can pay for them self's to get to Japan. This show is just look how much stuff I can buy... I would think the greatest Otaku would be a Middle class Manga drawing, Cosplay making, anime watching, Japanese game player, in to Japanese music too. .... not just some rich fan into one or two aspects of anime.

TC X0 Lt 0X

What Weaboo shi~ is this (ಠ_ಠ)

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

RooBird

I was skeptical when I first heard of this. The first thing they did wrong was the name. Seriously? Otaku? Do they not realize how much of a negative stigma that has attached to it, especially in Japan? It's not something you would be proud to call yourself.

But since it was Tokyopop, a manga publishing company, I gave it a try. It's a company that should know a decent amount about anime/manga, and aren't out to make fun of convention goers and anime/manga fans like other shows would/have done. I got halfway through the first episode and gave up. Not because I thought it was particularly bad; I was just extremely bored. :D I might give it another try, but I dunno.
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)

Barnes

I just watched episode 4, and that Bleach family........wow, just plain wow >.<
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Glitch

Yeah, what everybody above just said.
And Stu Levy doesn't work as a host.

L0Lpants

the places they go to are interesting by themselves but everything else shows no entertainment value.

In conclusion, it's Cr- wait for it-ap! *rings the boring gong*
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

Barnes

And this show in episode three called "Pump It Up" "Dance Dance Revolution."
Talk about spitting in people's faces  >:(
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: Barnes on March 20, 2011, 10:13:05 AM
And this show in episode three called "Pump It Up" "Dance Dance Revolution."
Talk about spitting in people's faces  >:(

AHH I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed. It was kind of silly how they can make a mistake like that, it's either they don't have enough money for the production value to have people who actually researchers through details and make sure that there aren't minor mix ups like that or they really think it's some special edition of DDR.

When I first heard of it, I try to stay as far away from it as I could, and then found out a cosplay friend of mine participated as a contestant. I watched it just to see her in it, but then I finished the episodes before knowing. I really wish they didn't use the term otaku as well, females are fujoshi!

I just feel like the creator of tokyopop doesn't really know what he's doing with his own show.

heeroyuy135

Before this series came out, I predicted that a AGO Candidate would be a Hetalia cosplayer because a) it's popular atm and b) Tokyopop releases the English manga in the States.

Well 5 episodes in, I was right. BTW, someone who's first anime was NARUTO should have no business being nominated.

Also, my favorite (if I had to pick one) to win it all.

Death_Note_Matt

Holy crap I have been meaning to watch that LMAO
Another Player has Entered the Game