Stairs are SO underrated

Started by otakuya, March 23, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

otakuya

Piggybacking from the "Elevator Staff" thread under Ideas and Suggestions, I'd like to advocate the use of the hotel stairs more often during the con; so much so that there should be signs from the con promoting stairs.
Of course, I'd hate to see someone in a wheelchair, someone in the very top floor, or an elaborate cosplay get denied elevator use, but for the rest of us, the stairs never hurt anyone, especially if you happen to stay on the lower floors. You would get a workout, too.

Kyra_Maverick

I always request a lower floor and use the stairs because of how motion sick I get in the elevators at the Marriott and Hilton.

It's been a few years since I've stayed there, but the Crowne Plaza's stairs were 'fire escape only'. The alarm would sound if you tried to use them in the lobby. Anyone know if this has changed?

Also, a sign or two promoting stairs is all well and good, but I wouldn't want someone at the elevator dictating who gets to use the elevator and who has to use the stairs. (Not that Fanime would endorse something like that, but some people get real bossy about that kind of stuff.)

Mango Bunny

I use the stairs! That is, when I'm on a lower floor. The stairwell also gets creepy late at night when you're alone though. =/ Ooh, and exercise caution if wearing a skirt on the stairwell.

Avairrianna

I might be in a wheelchair this year so I requested a lower floor and for the times I might be out of my wheelchair and walking around that it wont be too long of a walk or elevator ride.
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Kertus

Ha I always get a high floor, many a time have I run all the way up and down the stairs.  It's pretty funny when you can beat the elevator :P
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

TC X0 Lt 0X

I use the stairs.
Fastest way down on Mondays.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Nina Star 9

I tend to use both, but it depends on the situation.

If I'm not on too high of a floor, I'll use the stairs during peak elevator hours. (I've been known to use the stairs even when on a higher floor... ouch!) If I'm wearing something elaborate or skimpy or otherwise don't feel safe going down the stairs, I'll wait for an elevator. I do tend to use the elevators more than the stairs, but I'm usually on a higher floor (and wearing heels...) and the stairs creep me out a bit, haha.

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on March 23, 2011, 09:16:27 PM
I always request a lower floor and use the stairs because of how motion sick I get in the elevators at the Marriott and Hilton.
I didn't see that as an option when I signed up. Maybe all the lower floors were taken or the type of room I wanted wasn't on a lower floor? *shrugs* I have the same problem (though the Hilton is worse for me, and that's where I'm staying this year), so I like lower floor rooms.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 26, 2011, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on March 23, 2011, 09:16:27 PM
I didn't see that as an option when I signed up. Maybe all the lower floors were taken or the type of room I wanted wasn't on a lower floor? *shrugs* I have the same problem (though the Hilton is worse for me, and that's where I'm staying this year), so I like lower floor rooms.
I don't think it's a signup option. I just ask at the front desk when I get there.

Nina Star 9

Ah, that makes sense.

Thank you!

KyraEnsui

I used the stairs based on the situation too such as bags of food or walking in boots for long hours. =( More importantly, I have a fear of stairs so yeah...

AngrySean

If you can get a room on a lower floor, the stairs are great.  If you luck out and get a room on the third through fifth floors, don't use the elevator unless you absolutely must.  No better way to annoy a crowded elevator full of people than pushing your way onto the elevator on the second floor and then getting off on the third.

However, if you are unlucky like me and tend to get rooms on the twelfth floor or higher, the stairs are kind of a crappy option.  Of course, once everyone starts trying to check out on Monday morning and it takes an hour to get an elevator, I always seem to find myself carrying two large duffel-bags and an ice-chest down ten flights of stairs.

ewu

humm....locked...

And posts removed for obvious reasons...not-so-obvious reasons cuz they are gone.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom