electricity-lambs

FanimeCon 2019 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Becoming a Volunteer  (Read 55702 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

astroboy

  • Guest
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
...I heard a rumor that volunteers got free rooming? :?
and I heard a rumor that you didn't have to pay your income taxes. LMAO :lol:

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
I think that it might be too late to become staff (although I might be lying, but I'm pretty sure.) What you had to do was be over 18 (or was it 21) and go to all the meetings for Staffmembers. I think two or so already passed by.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff? I sure wish the vol coordinator was more active in answering the message board......that way these "rumors" can get squashed the very minute they surface. I know you guys are trying to be helpful but plz get your info straight.

It is NOT too late to sign up for staff. Wait for the website to be updated for more info regarding signing up for staff. I usually sign up to become staff 2 months before the con and only go to 2 or 3 staff meetings the whole year.
Logged

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2006, 10:32:29 PM »

Edit: Someone back in the thread said that volunteers got free rooming. That got me confused, because that person is pretty good [insert better word that good here] in Fanime stuff. >.< And then I got my answer confirmed by 3 other people.
~
Thats why I said I might be lying.

And I remember reading it back a couple of pages, and plus, the general announcement about becoming staff. Plus, the girl said she had already figured it out... so no need to flame. Don't be a hater. xD
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

astroboy

  • Guest
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2006, 01:08:03 AM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
Edit: Someone back in the thread said that volunteers got free rooming. That got me confused, because that person is pretty good [insert better word that good here] in Fanime stuff. >.< And then I got my answer confirmed by 3 other people.
~
Thats why I said I might be lying.

And I remember reading it back a couple of pages, and plus, the general announcement about becoming staff. Plus, the girl said she had already figured it out... so no need to flame. Don't be a hater. xD
The first post was made back in 2004.....yikes! I think it's time for an update. At one time in Fanime's history there was some form of free crash space for volunteers.....but that's now "history". Perhaps that's where the confussion started?

Getting back to the present:
There's no hate here. I just don't want anyone to plan their entire weekend at FanimeCon based on critical information that is not accurate. This would be a MAJOR inconvenience especially if this was financially realated such as crash space.

I'm sorry if you felt that I was being harsh. I'm not trying to flame. I'm just trying to prevent an unpleasant surprise.
Logged

womanaconda

  • Guest
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

Quote from: "astroboy"
Where do you guys come up with this stuff? I sure wish the vol coordinator was more active in answering the message board......that way these "rumors" can get squashed the very minute they surface. I know you guys are trying to be helpful but plz get your info straight.


Now that I'm settled down into college, I'll be monitoring the board more. And by more I guess I mean at all. But anyway, thanks, astroboy, for being a good and caring forum citizen.

If anyone has questions they can email me at volunteers@fanime.com aaand you'll get a reply either through email or I'll post something about it here. If you're lucky then you'll get both.

More to come later!
Logged

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

Oh, where I read the "21" age thing was the Fanime Marketing Team. >.>

I have bad memory.

Astro- actually it [the rooming thing] was a post made this year... :/ Maybe that person was confused, too?
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2007, 10:30:14 PM »

since we're getting pretty close to con time, more Q's about volunteering will be asked.....and here's the first of many.

okay, i'm going to attend all four days of fanime, and i want to volunteer (so i can get a spiffy volunteer badge AND get reimbursed). to be fully reimbursed on a full weekend pass, how many hours would i have to volunteer? i've been hearing from many different sources that its either 8, 16, or 24 hours total. can i please get some type of clarification on this? it would be much appreciated.
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Tony

  • Post in the Shell: SAC
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1192
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2007, 11:22:21 PM »

Last year I think it was 24 hours--double time on load-in or load-out.
Logged
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »

Quote from: "Tony"
Last year I think it was 24 hours--double time on load-in or load-out.
so what's the word on volunteer hours for 2007?
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2007, 09:13:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was around 16. 16-18 hours. >> Sorry I can't be much clearer though.
If it was 24, you might as well been on staff. >.>
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
I'm pretty sure it was around 16. 16-18 hours. >> Sorry I can't be much clearer though.
If it was 24, you might as well been on staff. >.>
well, i was actually thinking about joining staff, but there are issues that i'm working out at the moment that might prevent me from getting to/attending fanime this year.
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »

Otakuapprentice- LE GASP, you must go... if not on staff, then volunteering. [Volunteer for the Reg. Department!!] You don't necessarily have to work for getting a full refund. You can get [partial? don't quote me on this] or just do it for fun/experience. ^^

YOU MUST GO. D:
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
Otakuapprentice- LE GASP, you must go... if not on staff, then volunteering. [Volunteer for the Reg. Department!!] You don't necessarily have to work for getting a full refund. You can get [partial? don't quote me on this] or just do it for fun/experience. ^^

YOU MUST GO. D:
i'm gonna take a guess and say that "LE GASP!" translates to "WE NEED HELP!! PLEASE HELP US!!"

if i am able to get to fanime, i'll take your call to arms and volunteer in the reg. department.

on that note, when you say partial, how much partial are we taking about here? half? more than half? c'mon, gimme a little specifics here :)
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »

You might want to e-mail the Volunteer head for this kind of info, but I think it depends on how many hours you work. [If I'm wrong, assume I'm... on crack or something. >>]

E.G. if you work half of the required amount of hours, you get half of your ticket price back.
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
You might want to e-mail the Volunteer head for this kind of info, but I think it depends on how many hours you work. [If I'm wrong, assume I'm... on crack or something. >>]

E.G. if you work half of the required amount of hours, you get half of your ticket price back.
as sad as this sounds, how would i get in contact with the Volunteer Head? i checked the main con page and couldn't find any information.
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »

You can try help@fanime.com to see if they can answer your question. If they can't, you can always ask if they can direct you to the person to ask your question. >< I can't find them either.
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

womanaconda

  • Guest
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2007, 11:42:15 PM »

Don't know how to get in touch with the volunteer head? Well, I did have a post on this very page saying that you can always email me at volunteers@fanime.com. However, I know that it's not easy finding info on vols. Hopefully I can clear some of this up right now.

If you have a day badge, then it's five hours to get it reimbursed, but twenty hours for a full weekend badge. SORRY, NO PARTIAL REFUNDS. Double time on Thursday and Monday. You get reimbursed the amount you paid for your badge, no more, no less. We pay in cash, UNLESS you paid by check ON SITE. Then you'll get it after the con. Everyone else can get it on Monday.

Hope this helps.
Logged

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »

Quote from: "womanaconda"
Don't know how to get in touch with the volunteer head? Well, I did have a post on this very page saying that you can always email me at volunteers@fanime.com. However, I know that it's not easy finding info on vols. Hopefully I can clear some of this up right now.

If you have a day badge, then it's five hours to get it reimbursed, but twenty hours for a full weekend badge. SORRY, NO PARTIAL REFUNDS. Double time on Thursday and Monday. You get reimbursed the amount you paid for your badge, no more, no less. We pay in cash, UNLESS you paid by check ON SITE. Then you'll get it after the con. Everyone else can get it on Monday.

Hope this helps.
well, this definintely clears up some of the questions i had pertaining to volunteering. now for my next questions involving being a volunteer:

as already stated by you, its a total of 20 hours to reimburse a full weekend badge. here's where it gets into specifics:

can those 20 hours be completed over the course of the four days of fanime, or can i just do it all in one quick shot, that is to say do the 20 hours in one shift or two shifts of 10 hours, or two shifts of 7 hours and one of 6?
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Krnchichiri

  • Maria-sama ga Post
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 191
  • I AM AWESOME.
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »

Har, so I was lying. >.<

Ooh, I know the answer to your question though.

You can try to do it in one shot [though I wouldn't recommend it... you might die or something] or you can do it in shifts. As long as you finish the number of hours before Con ends [or... whatever], you'll be fine but try to make sure you have the hours to do so [as well as the spirit and strenth!]. Some departments only give out a certain number of hours every day.

As the godly womanaconda [behold her almighty smartness!] said, you can get double hours for Thursday and Monday. ^^;;

[sorry for the... wrong information earlier. ^^;; ]
Logged
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

  • More than 2718 posts
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4095
  • Flying through the universe in my T.A.R.D.I.S
    • View Profile
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »

Quote from: "Krnchichiri"
Har, so I was lying. >.<

Ooh, I know the answer to your question though.

You can try to do it in one shot [though I wouldn't recommend it... you might die or something] or you can do it in shifts. As long as you finish the number of hours before Con ends [or... whatever], you'll be fine but try to make sure you have the hours to do so [as well as the spirit and strenth!]. Some departments only give out a certain number of hours every day.

As the godly womanaconda [behold her almighty smartness!] said, you can get double hours for Thursday and Monday. ^^;;

[sorry for the... wrong information earlier. ^^;; ]
and yet another question springs up from this post.

i dont have a pre-reg or early-reg. if i got there on thursday, could i still volunteer and get my hours in for that day, or would i have to wait until friday to pay for a badge and then start volunteering?
Logged
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

womanaconda

  • Guest
Becoming a Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2007, 09:25:28 PM »

Yeah, you can do your hours when you want. That's the beauty of it.

Wait, you didn't prereg? Um... Well, technically Thursday stuff is only for those with badges, but since we really like it when people volunteer on Thursday I'll allow volunteering without a badge for a day. Of course you'll have to promise me that you'll get your badge as soon as you can. I remember when I volunteered I did almost all of my hours on Thursday and got them out of the way. Then I was free to enjoy the rest of the con.

Don't worry about being short on hours. That's what Monday was made for. You get double time, so if you're short you can fix it in a jiffy.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
 

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 24 queries.