Fanime Dance: Glowsticks?

Started by kookiekween99, March 27, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

kookiekween99

I heard a rumor from one of my friends that glowsticks weren't going to be allowed this year because of the very tiny possibility they might break and spill. Is there any truth to this rumor? I know that selling glowsticks isn't allowed, which totally makes sense. But banning people from wearing glowsticks seems a bit extreme.

So might I get some clarification on this? I don't want to waste money buying glowsticks if I'm not going to get to use them.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

HakureiSandwih

I have heard that last year some people deliberately broke glowsticks.

Which in return spilled on the floor. It is toxic and hard to clean up.

I have also heard that they are now not allowed on the dance floor. Which is sad because it really takes away the atmosphere, but I guess safety first..

kookiekween99

So a couple of idiots did something stupid and now all other attendees have to suffer for it?

HakureiSandwih

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 27, 2011, 11:28:08 AM
So a couple of idiots did something stupid and now all other attendees have to suffer for it?
If what I have said is true fact, then sadly, yes : /

It's a shame really..

TC X0 Lt 0X

Not that I have heard.
All I know is it is not okay to sell glowsticks.

Better wait for Ewu or someone with a more official answer though.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

kookiekween99

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on March 27, 2011, 01:31:59 PM
Not that I have heard.
All I know is it is not okay to sell glowsticks.

Better wait for Ewu or someone with a more official answer though.

Definitely waiting for ewu or eHash or someone similar. The friend I heard it from is in Panels, so I don't really trust him.

ewu

there are many reasons that glowsticks are not allowed. one of the biggest is that it gets on the carpet and we end up paying to replace it. aka less programming and higher reg prices.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

kookiekween99

Ah, well in that case, I won't bother bringing them. Kinda sucks, but I get it.

kookiekween99

Sorry for the double post, but I just need something clarified. I was talking to Ebner today at school, and he was confused on which type of glowstick I was talking about. So I thought I'd ask for clarification here.

This is what I was talking about...

... and this is what he thought I was talking about at first.

So I realized that the same confusion might have happened here. Does the ban apply to both types of glowsticks or only the second kind?

ewu

In addition to our other reasons to prohibit them, they both contain the liquid that stains the carpets.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

kookiekween99

I see. Well, I'm still upset, but the internet is no place to vent my frustration. I know that won't fix anything and it'll just piss people off.

I am curious, though. What will happen if anyone does try to bring in glowsticks? Like if they're already wearing them?

Also, I had no idea it was that easy to break glowsticks.

ewu

I am uncertain about the rovers policy, but it is likely that you will either be asked to leave or to relinquish them before entering or staying at the event.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Runewitt

I have seen battery powered light sticks, which look the same as the 2nd type of glowsticks there, actually, have used a few of these at work before. would they be allowed if they were checked by rovers?
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

ewu

LEDs most likely OK, but selling them will not be permitted.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

GoodAsianDriver

Quote from: Runewitt on March 28, 2011, 08:08:40 PM
I have seen battery powered light sticks, which look the same as the 2nd type of glowsticks there, actually, have used a few of these at work before. would they be allowed if they were checked by rovers?

I've seen these light sticks before. They're a little brighter, but I think they work just great. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a glowstick alternative.
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati

darkknightcecil

Well some of thoe rover said they are not allowed, the big ones. but only the one that you can wear are allowed?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: GoodAsianDriver on March 29, 2011, 01:32:32 PM
Quote from: Runewitt on March 28, 2011, 08:08:40 PM

I've seen these light sticks before. They're a little brighter, but I think they work just great. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a glowstick alternative.

They are also reusable =P

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

eHash

My personal suggestion is to get battery based LED Glowsticks or Poi, however glowsticks will be allowed in the dance.
HOWEVER
If you break them by accident or intentionally, you will be ejected.

kookiekween99

Quote from: eHash on April 18, 2011, 10:57:40 AM
My personal suggestion is to get battery based LED Glowsticks or Poi, however glowsticks will be allowed in the dance.
HOWEVER
If you break them by accident or intentionally, you will be ejected.

This makes me happy. :D

I already bought LED glowsticks, but I might still get some bracelets/necklaces.

Empathy

Didn't think this warranted its own thread so I'll bump here. is EL Wire okay?