Favoritism in the Artist Alley

Started by Topagae, April 13, 2011, 12:59:50 PM

jAded

I have way more beef with people who got tables and are waiting as long as they can before paying for it, pushing it out as far as they can. That's what I see as unfair, not the first come first serve with regards to tables. People keep asking about a table payment deadline, and I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I don't know of a payment deadline, but I believe that there should be a one -two week deadline once you are notified that you have secured a table to pay for the table, at most, before a table is forfeited if you don't pay. It's not fair to those who are fighting tooth and nail to get a table while people dilly dally because they aren't sure and won't be sure until two weeks before the con and wait as long as they can before they will pay it. The reason behind this is that, under extreme dire circumstances, most people who plan for tables should have already alloted table expenses into their con budget ahead of time. There's really not an excuse...

It's not so much favoritism, but that's where the fairness in the registration process can be more accurately defined. imho.

Kaiami

Quote from: Kimba616 on April 17, 2011, 09:37:23 PM
When it first come first serve not in effect for convention events?  Thinking otherwise for something like this is kind of silly.  :\

When the site was down, my friend sent me and another friend the link. After that, I sent the link to another friend. My friend, who signed up first, didn't get a preliminary table. I didn't get one either. But her friend, who she sent the link to got a table right away. And so did the friend that I sent the link to, who signed up the day after the AA page was first up. Based on that, I don't think it was first come first served.

kuroitora

First Come First Serve is fair.  Period.

I know this was stated, but let me repeat for emphasis:    If it's important to you, you find a way to get it done.   If you're here complaining about not getting a table, you had a means of registering.   And I can understand if you had class, job, something you had to be at.  But when that class, job, appointment, whatever is over, you get this taken care of ASAP.

The artist alley is fun.  It's a great place to meet up with friends you may not see often or friends you spend your casual time with.  At the same time, if you are getting a table in order to sell your work, you have to approach this like a BUSINESS.   If this were a job interview, or college registration, you wouldn't get a do-over because you put it off.   And just because this is an anime con doesn't mean you take it lightly.    Again, if it's important to you, you take care of it.   It's embarrassing to yourself to come in here complaining you were treated unfairly when it's your responsibility in the first place.   

This is my second time with Fanime and I have had ZERO problems registration or staff.   They've done a wonderful job in spite of the server hiccup during the registration mob.   The wait was a little unnerving but we're taken care of now.   No velvet rope, no secret list, no priorities....I was there when the time came to register (and on no sleep, might I add).   I kept one window open in the forum and one on the facebook artist alley page.  When a link showed up, I clicked, waited, and filled out the proper info.   And furthermore, the alley is a better place when it's filled with people that felt it important to be ready for registration.  It's professionalism, pure and simple. 

chobitsfan

Listen kid, this is how it worked. they told us that they were going to have AA up by the end of February. We waited for a really long time and didn't hear anything about it until the 22nd of March when they announced that registration would occur in 3 days. They told us the link would go live at noon on Friday. We checked the link at noon and it was down until 6. Rather than fixing it the forum moderators posted a link there rather than on the front page of the website where we were told to register! The day after registration they told us that they were planning on getting approvals finished within a week. we checked our email, forums and the front page multiple times every day during that whole week. 3 weeks later they finally got back to us and notified us of the lottery. In the notification they stated that the lottery would occur on the 16th. They then said that they had no idea when the lottery would occur. We got an email on the 17th that stated that the lottery had been complete and they would let us know the results within 2 days. It's been 3 days and no word yet. We have been checking out email and fanime registration 5x/day for the last month. We have 3 foot cubic box full of merchandise we have been creating for this since last year. We have spent over 400$ on supplies for all of this. I don't know what the deal is with everyone who is defending the utterly lackluster organization displayed by fanime this year. This just really is not ok

Oniko

I believe I remember them saying they "hoped" to have it up by Feb.  That being said they were unable to make that dead line and when it came closer to the actual date in march this was posted -
"FanimeCon Artist Alley registration will be put up on 3/25 (this Friday). While we are looking at noon at the release time, server issues might hinder and/or delay that. We will keep you up-to-date as information gets updated."
They give warning about possible traffic because this has happened in the past.  The cant give "updates" on the website becuase of all the traffic so they used the social networking to the best of their abilities.  They used Facebook and Twitter and in fourm post before this time there had been warnings.

Dont you think it's a little rude to be starting a post with "Listen Kid" it sets the tone that you are looking down on that person.  How would you like it if someone at a store went "Listen kid your wrong so get out of here."?  I doubt it would sit well with anyone.

Anyways major edit on my post because now I've been thinking what do we hope to accomplish by all these posts. We are all (myself included) acting like broken records at this point. The complainers are complaining and defenders are defending. I'm sure the AA staff is aware of these posts.

What do you all want from the complaining? More tables?  Well they are trying to give those in a lottery. They cant simply give a table to everyone that complains because there will still not be enough tables. Or would it be better to take away a table from those that already got it to give it to those complaining instead?  Is that fair?

At this point they cant restart, tables have been given and money has been sent.  All we can do now is make suggestions for the following year. They have always tried to take in suggestions for the following year so that seems the most productive thing to do right now rather then fighting one another and sooner or later probably getting these forums locked.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

solipoo

Quote from: Kaiami on April 20, 2011, 12:39:38 AM
When the site was down, my friend sent me and another friend the link. After that, I sent the link to another friend. My friend, who signed up first, didn't get a preliminary table. I didn't get one either. But her friend, who she sent the link to got a table right away. And so did the friend that I sent the link to, who signed up the day after the AA page was first up. Based on that, I don't think it was first come first served.
oh! aren't you ryan's little sister :3

hnnnnngg well maybe the friend submitted the form faster? and the other friend... idk. i'm so confused :'(
good luck getting a table! maybe you can find someone to share with?

chobits: listen kid does set a bad tone. who are you even talking to. 8I
i'm sure if i was in your position i would be upset too, but don't put the blame on others just because you didn't get what you want. everyone was pretty much in the same situation, checking their emails constantly throughout the day. email AA staff and ask them what's going on with the lottery results, don't complain in such a condescending tone. maybe email them with some suggestions too, about exactly what you think should be changed. and next time don't spend hundreds of dollars on supplies when you aren't even sure you will get a table, knowing that there are much more artists than tables available. :'( i'm cheap and i refused to buy the prints/button supplies/keychain supplies/table displays before knowing for sure i would have a table. if you don't get a table just save them for the next convention you go to! but who knows maybe you got in the lottery. good luck.

zenokami

Hello,
I just want to apologize for my brothers (chobits) behavior. Don't get me wrong, I am too a little upset, but as for me, I don't believe ranting is going to get us anywhere. I do understand that the people who did get tables are most likely the ones mad at everyone complaining. but it is just a tad strange...in my opinion that its taking so long. Mind you, my brother was waiting to register when the link went up, but it was broken.  But anyway I suppose all I can say is things happen for a reason? So do just...pretty much ignore what my brother is saying, He's just taking out his anger...which he shouldn't be doing. He's just REALLY upset lol. I'm sure things will all come together eventually.

so patients brother! :P

PyronIkari

Quote from: zenokami on April 20, 2011, 11:27:41 AM
Hello,
I just want to apologize for my brothers (chobits) behavior. Don't get me wrong, I am too a little upset, but as for me, I don't believe ranting is going to get us anywhere. I do understand that the people who did get tables are most likely the ones mad at everyone complaining. but it is just a tad strange...in my opinion that its taking so long. Mind you, my brother was waiting to register when the link went up, but it was broken.  But anyway I suppose all I can say is things happen for a reason? So do just...pretty much ignore what my brother is saying, He's just taking out his anger...which he shouldn't be doing. He's just REALLY upset lol. I'm sure things will all come together eventually.

so patients brother! :P

Here's a little light to shine on people.

If you have ever worked in large business or professional setting where everything must follow a very strictly mandated process, estimations and time never end up to be reality. I work as an accountant, and a bill that takes me 2minutes to process, will take over a month and a half to reach the customer. The reason being is that it has to go through a lot of channels before it can LEGALLY be sent over and accepted.

Conventions are much the same. Smaller ones not so much, but larger conventions have to follow a very strict procedure in how things are done. As frustrating as it may seem for you guys that you have to wait a month to register for AA based on an estimation, these guys have been putting in work to get this up since The tuesday after Fanime last year. On their side, do you realize how frustrating it is to be trying to get all of this up but having thousands of people complaining that they're getting it up to slow?

If the initial work is done, it must then be sent to a different department who has to okay it. Once they get that ok, it has to go through a different department to get validation and budgeting has to be pinged first so they can tell them how much things will cost to start. After that is okay'd work can be done to move to the next step of getting the content done, which then has to be okay'd which then has to be verified by a different agent, which then has to be organized.

It's easy to be mad and whine and complain that staff isn't doing their job, but people don't actually know what they're job is. They don't know the process of how things work, and until you do, you really shouldn't take their duties so lightly. Think for a second what it is like to be in their position.

I'm currently sitting here at work during my lunch and today was filled with things being blamed on me and I've been yelled at for getting things to certain places late. These things have been sitting here waiting for me to get okay's, replys, and other verifications before I can send them out. I've literally finished my week on these a week ago, but I can't send them out because of processes and regulation. So companies are getting upset at me because they want their bills faster. To which I can't do anything except say "I'm trying my best".

This is basically what you complainers are doing. Yelling at people for trying to do their job with the best of their ability, with what they have to work with.

Here's something. If you think you can make this process better, if you think you can please everyone and know how to make all of this go completely smoothe...

Join staff and do it. You'll do it perfect, and no one will get upset or whine and yell at you, because you know how to make this process go smoothly. Join staff, and make it better for everyone.

Oniko

Not sure if this holds truth for any of the emails but something I just thought of.  It could be that there is a bit of lag time in it getting from point A to point B.  Like sometimes when I sign up for an account on websites it takes a while for me to get my email.  Or When I email something directly to a friend I'm talking to it still might like 20 min to get there for some unknown reason.

Always remember to check your junk mail too.  I saw someone state that AA letters end up in Spam if you have g-mail.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

solipoo

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 20, 2011, 01:44:02 PM
fat essay
heeee! i am an accounting major.
will be looking forward to accounting, sounds absolutely fantastic!

actually i get a minor headache just thinking about it. weeps

nothing will go exactly the way you want, chobits. >^>;;;
i don't think you have to join staff to know how it feels, you just have to be more understanding of their position. it's probably wayyy not easy to be staff. especially since they're not paid? and they have a lot to deal with eg. technical issues & complainers. i wouldn't be able to do it. LOL.

Topagae

Bah, it matters not. I'm getting my table but I had to play the system to get it.

I suppose my sense of justice compelled me to post this, it irks me greatly I have to basically not follow the rules to get what I want.

Life Lesson: This with influence and power get what they want. Pity.

sysadmin

Quote from: Topagae on April 23, 2011, 12:02:37 AM
Bah, it matters not. I'm getting my table but I had to play the system to get it.

I suppose my sense of justice compelled me to post this, it irks me greatly I have to basically not follow the rules to get what I want.

It is exactly this kind of post that causes skilled staffers to quit.

solipoo

don't quit staffy ;____;''

topagae i don't know what you are talking about. many of us did follow the rules without "influence and power" and got what we wanted way ahead of you, without making posts which a) stirred up a lot of unnecessary drama and b) upset a lot of people.

Oniko

Quote from: Topagae on April 23, 2011, 12:02:37 AM

I dont really get what your getting at.  Are you threatening?  Or are you saying anyone who got in had influence on the staff?  Thast 200+ people that have connections then, lets try to be realistic.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Haruka

PyronIkari- "It's understandable to be upset that you didn't get a table, but seriously, you're trying to push blame on others instead of just accepting you made some bad choices. Even if you didn't make those bad choices you're not guaranteed a table. Like seriously, what would you want have been done? If you are serious about getting a table, you'd do everything you can to make sure all your info is in as early as possible, organized, nice cut and clean. That's how others felt, and that's how they acted. You just assumed things and put it off thinking "Well they didn't specifically state that it is first come first serve therefore I can put this off as long as I want". Submissions are looked at as they come in(when time is available). If they got x amount of passable before you even submitted, sorry that is no ones fault but yourself."

Do me a favor.  Don't respond simply for the thrill of seeing your "name" on the internet, especially when it's clear you have next to no idea what you're talking about. 

First of all, my information WAS clean cut, clear and organized.  For another, I registered Saturday morning, 3/26, when I was finally able to get the page to load properly (aka, as early as possible).  I have no idea what "bad choices" you are referring to, other than rookie ones you assumed I made.  And the employment anology was cute, except for several problems: a.) I don't pay my employer a registration fee for the privaledge of attending work and b.) I've actually run a HR dept and I collected all applications, then made decisions about who was qualified, not who sent theirs in first.  So, despite your own opinion, you don't actually know everything. 
Thanks!
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

ewu

This thread has ceased to be productive.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom