Do you need an Adult?

Started by XXswordserxX, April 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM

Himeno

Quote from: ewu on April 14, 2011, 10:54:08 PM
Quote from: Himeno on April 14, 2011, 10:36:00 PM
Why "can't" Fanime take them? All you should need from a "ID" is a name, and maybe the photo - which school IDs provide.

School IDs are not standardized and do not have any security features. AKA easily faked and therefore not acceptable. School IDs also do not have identifying information or address. Primarily, the school IDs do not give us any reliable way to identify you.
... I had no idea that the paranoia was so wide spread. Rampant paranoia out of the government is one thing, one expects the government to be insane. But to see it so widely spread in the general population is... worrying.

M

Quote from: Himeno on April 21, 2011, 11:58:09 PM
... I had no idea that the paranoia was so wide spread. Rampant paranoia out of the government is one thing, one expects the government to be insane. But to see it so widely spread in the general population is... worrying.
This isn't a case of "rampant paranoia", but the short answer is to protect ourselves.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Kuudere

Yep, I imagine if they didn't do an ID check, or took easy-to-forge IDs, it'd go something like this:

You: Hello, I'm John Smith here to pick up my badge!
Reg Staff: Hmm...it appears you've already picked it up earlier. We no longer have it.
You: What? I just got here! How could I have picked it up already?
Reg Staff: I don't know, but someone definitely already took that badge. Sorry.
You: But I'M John Smith! How could you give it to someone who isn't me?
Reg Staff: They had a school ID with that name on it present.
You: Obviously it's fake, then. What do you plan to do about this? I paid for that badge, I'm not leaving until I get it.

And that's if they accepted school IDs (which would be incredibly easy to fake. You could probably even make up a school and design whatever card you want. How would they prove it wasn't real?)...imagine if they didn't take any form of identification. Anyone could take anyone's badge, and it'd be chaotic.

And if you're wondering, "How would they know someone's full name in order to steal their identity?" Easy. Do you see all the people who are fans of the Fanime Facebook page? Take your pick.

THAT is why a government-issued ID is necessary.
[I should probably mention that I am not staff, and these are just my suppositions of why this practice is in place.]

CobaltTempest

Bringing this back up since no one answered me yet:

Quote from: CobaltTempestI have sent an inquiry to them two three days ago. What is the expected timeframe for a reply?
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryūin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

M

Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 22, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
Quote from: CobaltTempestI have sent an inquiry to them two three days ago. What is the expected timeframe for a reply?
I would wait until Monday and then e-mail them again.

CobaltTempest

Quote from: MPLe on April 22, 2011, 06:58:13 PM
Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 22, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
I would wait until Monday and then e-mail them again.
Is their inbox regularly emptied out at the end of each week or something? Mind telling me why I should do this?
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryūin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

M

Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 22, 2011, 07:28:33 PMIs their inbox regularly emptied out at the end of each week or something? Mind telling me why I should do this?
I understand your frustration, but please do not take it out on me (or any other staff member). We are only trying to help and we don't need snarky replies. :)

Registration gets tons of e-mails and they answer them as they get them. I asked you to e-mail them again in case it was overlooked (which rarely happens, but it does happen).

Rin_chan

Quote from: MeowDesu on April 14, 2011, 09:09:36 PM
Quote from: Rin_chan on April 14, 2011, 08:58:38 PM
What's the electronic postcard? This is the first time I'm the group leader for my friends so I've never heard of this before. I thought all we needed to pick up badges was our ID?

It's basically like a confirmation letter-type thing. It has all your registration information. Back in the day, they sent out actual postcards through mail to do this, which I'm assuming is where the "postcard" part comes from.

Is it the same as the registration receipt that was emailed right after I registered?

Kuudere

Quote from: Rin_chan on April 27, 2011, 05:56:29 PM
Quote from: MeowDesu on April 14, 2011, 09:09:36 PM
Quote from: Rin_chan on April 14, 2011, 08:58:38 PM
What's the electronic postcard? This is the first time I'm the group leader for my friends so I've never heard of this before. I thought all we needed to pick up badges was our ID?

It's basically like a confirmation letter-type thing. It has all your registration information. Back in the day, they sent out actual postcards through mail to do this, which I'm assuming is where the "postcard" part comes from.

Is it the same as the registration receipt that was emailed right after I registered?

No, I don't think so. The registration FAQ say it will be something "attached to your account sooner to FanimeCon." It says that it won't be emailed, but there will be an announcement on the website when it is available to print out.

Cloud

If you do not have a form of identification and you have your parent show proof, would that parent have to accompany you everywhere or would the parent be able to leave after helping you get the badge?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Cloud on May 02, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
If you do not have a form of identification and you have your parent show proof, would that parent have to accompany you everywhere or would the parent be able to leave after helping you get the badge?

Once you get your badge, you're good to go. That's the only thing you need to get into 99% of the convention. The only exception is age restricted events such as Hentai night which is 18+, where you have to give them a state ID to prove your age.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Rin_chan

what if we don't have this electronic postcard thing with us when we go to pick our badges? cause the only thing attached to my account currently is the invoices for our badge purchases, im sorry if i'm asking this before the postcards are available, i'm not sure how long this usually takes.

Kuudere

Quote from: Rin_chan on May 12, 2011, 09:52:54 AM
what if we don't have this electronic postcard thing with us when we go to pick our badges? cause the only thing attached to my account currently is the invoices for our badge purchases, im sorry if i'm asking this before the postcards are available, i'm not sure how long this usually takes.

Since there has been no announcement on the website, I would assume that it is not available to print out yet. Don't worry, they've always given us one to print out before, just be patient.

M

Quote from: MeowDesu on May 12, 2011, 09:59:00 AM
Quote from: Rin_chan on May 12, 2011, 09:52:54 AM

Since there has been no announcement on the website, I would assume that it is not available to print out yet. Don't worry, they've always given us one to print out before, just be patient.
There are at least one out of the following three things that will happen:
1) You will get the e-postcard to print out and bring with you.
2) Claudia/Ewu will handwrite all pre and early registration postcards and mail them to you.
3) The process will change and you will be informed.

I don't know about you all, but I'm personally rooting for number 2. :)

ewu

Quote from: MPLe on May 12, 2011, 02:28:46 PM

2) Claudia/Ewu will handwrite all pre and early registration postcards and mail them to you.

Please see this thread:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16072.msg417411.html#msg417411
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Rin_chan

Quote from: ewu on May 12, 2011, 02:36:35 PM
Quote from: MPLe on May 12, 2011, 02:28:46 PM

Please see this thread:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16072.msg417411.html#msg417411

thanks to the early reg update on the home page today i realized that they probably wouldnt send them out until early reg is over so that it can all be done at once, not sure if i'm right about that, but it seems possible. so i'm kinda kicking myself for not thinking of that earier XD

xXPlasmidXx

My debit card has my name as well as a photo id; does this suffice the ID requirement? Especially considering that I used the card with my picture on it to pay for my registration.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: xXPlasmidXx on May 13, 2011, 10:48:19 PM
My debit card has my name as well as a photo id; does this suffice the ID requirement? Especially considering that I used the card with my picture on it to pay for my registration.
Unfortunately it doesn't.  You need to have a government ID such as a driver's license or passport.  If you don't have either though and can't get one before the convention, email [email protected] and see what you might be able to do to work it out.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: MPLe on April 22, 2011, 09:43:15 PM
Quote from: CobaltTempest on April 22, 2011, 07:28:33 PMIs their inbox regularly emptied out at the end of each week or something? Mind telling me why I should do this?
I understand your frustration, but please do not take it out on me (or any other staff member). We are only trying to help and we don't need snarky replies. :)

Registration gets tons of e-mails and they answer them as they get them. I asked you to e-mail them again in case it was overlooked (which rarely happens, but it does happen).
We get TONS of e-mails a few weeks before Fanime and it just keeps piling up and up and up and up and... @w@ (Even all the way up and after the actual con!)

Trust me, we work really hard to answer all e-mails. I'm personally going through all of the ones that I can at this moment before I pass out/have to do homework. I really have to do homework tonight. ): (Yes, we do have lives, and yes, we are all volunteers).

WE WILL TRY TO GET TO THEM ALL~~
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook