Tokyopop North America closing

Started by Elimeno, April 15, 2011, 10:17:45 PM

Elimeno

Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

TC X0 Lt 0X

Not to rain on your parade, but, this does not constitute Serious Business very much...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Elimeno

if this isn't an important enough matter for a  forum/con dedicated to manga/animation... I really don't know what is.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

DivineVTDragon

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 15, 2011, 11:29:05 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but, this does not constitute Serious Business very much...

This is in fact EXTREMELY serious to those who buy/read manga. This means that there will be a discontinue on my currently read manga.

otakuya

Just another sign of the times, unfortunately. Gone are the glory days of distributors such as Central Park Media, ADV, and Pioneer Entertainment. God, I miss those times.

Glitch

On the bright side, this means no more America's Greatest Otaku.

Elimeno

Haha, true it had its heart in the right place but god the execution was horrible

ShikiIchijo

I really hope someone picks up some of their series...
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

PyronIkari

God... you people need to learn how forums work.

This forum is for weighty matters that can be DISCUSSED WITH OPINIONS AND PERSPECTIVE. Not to announce things that impact you.

"MY GRANDMA DIED!"

Yes, this is a serious matter... does it belong in this forum? No... there is no debate or discussion. There is no perspective or argumentative side. It's stating a subject matter that is important to you just to announce it.

Elimeno

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 17, 2011, 02:39:17 AM

This forum is for weighty matters that can be DISCUSSED WITH OPINIONS AND PERSPECTIVE. Not to announce things that impact you.

"MY GRANDMA DIED!"

Yes, this is a serious matter... does it belong in this forum? No... there is no debate or discussion. There is no perspective or argumentative side. It's stating a subject matter that is important to you just to announce it.

sorry

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 17, 2011, 02:39:17 AM

"MY GRANDMA DIED!"

Thank you.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mizuki

If Obama farted on national television, it would be more "serious business" than this topic. Moved.

ShadowKnight508

Well, as a owner of several TokyoPop manga volumes (including my Fate/stay Night and Battle Royale complete sets), this is sad to hear. I hope that they will change their minds one day in the future and re-open it under new management so I can continue purchasing their fine work.
Currently doing massive wiki edits on AnimeVice. Will be doing cosplay photos at FanimeCon for AnimeVice's site. T-minus 3 days to FanimeCon!

Planned Cons: FanimeCon 2011, KinToki-Con 2011, SACAnime 2011
http://shadowknight508.deviantart.com/gallery

LordKefka

Their translations suck anyways. Done by a group of monkies with one year Japanese language experience.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: LordKefka on April 27, 2011, 08:26:57 PM
Their translations suck anyways. Done by a group of monkies with one year Japanese language experience.

Yea but it was great for people who had a passion for anime and manga to start off. I don't think there's a need to insult them.
We still have other publishers like Yen Press, VIZ, and SJ, but it is still a bit saddening because there might be less manga or anime products in bookstores along with less variety and exposure of the genre.

Valkyrie Ryu

I think Tokyopop's closing can be discussed with opinions and perspective.. o-o

Personally, yea it's kinda sad to see them go since it'll be just a bit more difficult for japanese stuff to get around, buuuut personally I didn't like Tokyopop's selection of manga overall. I think Viz basically has a lot more of the hits. In any case, I read online anyways generally.

Shinigamiyoko

I've noticed that though I started out with a lot of Tokyopop manga (DNAngel, Fruits Basket, Loveless, Hoshi no Koe, etc.), I haven't been collecting many of their recent series.
I'm not terribly fond of how they changed the cover design on some of their licensed series, Maria+Holic particularly, so those I just buy in Japanese and attempt to read with my poor language skills...

Lately, most of my reading list lies with Viz and Yen Press. I'm still sad to see Tokyopop go though; means there's less diversity in the market, and even less chance some of the obscure titles I love and am attempting to read in Japanese will be licensed for the states.
I'm just lucky I live somewhat near a Kinokuniya, I guess...

(I agree with Glitch though; no more AGO is definitely a plus imho)