What Makes Cosplaying so Appealing?

Started by TwistedFayt, April 17, 2011, 06:50:04 PM

TwistedFayt

This topic popped into my head out of nowhere and it got me thinking. As a cosplayer and role-player, I have never really stopped to think about what makes both experiences so worthwhile to me. Perhaps it's because I enjoy the idea of stepping into a character's shoes and becoming someone I wish I could be. Or maybe it is because I enjoy making up my own realities for that character that I may have had in my dreams.

Either way, what is it to you that makes you enjoy cosplaying (or dislike it if you don't like to cosplay)?
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
The Bride class - Fire Emblem Awakening
Morgan - Fire Emblem Awakening
A full fursuit of my fursona Fayt
A full fursuit of my other character Shyla

ispyangie

I LOVE the fact that I'm able to bring a character to life. Plus, if there's smaller children at the con and they are able to recognize who I am, it makes me feel like a character at Disneyland when they get all excited and ask for pictures. ^_^
Tweet @ispyangie

Elimeno

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, Its because it gets you noticed.  In a costume you get that attention you may not get in the everyday life.  If it wasn't for attention why would there be so much drama among cosplayers? 

(btw I don't believe that, but for the sake of discussion lets roll)
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

DivineVTDragon

It's always more fun to be someone else other than yourself. Cons don't happen very often, and the rest of the year is filled with mundane everyday life, so it's always fun to dress up and pretend as your favorite characters.

I do it for the experiences and memories. When you get older there will be less and less chances that you will be able to do things like this (natural aging, gaining weight, etc) so it's good to use your youth as long as you can. Making my costumes lets me use some of the skills I picked up in everyday life.

BunofGovt

Quote from: DivineVTDragon on April 24, 2011, 11:57:57 AM
It's always more fun to be someone else other than yourself. Cons don't happen very often, and the rest of the year is filled with mundane everyday life, so it's always fun to dress up and pretend as your favorite characters.

I do it for the experiences and memories. When you get older there will be less and less chances that you will be able to do things like this (natural aging, gaining weight, etc) so it's good to use your youth as long as you can. Making my costumes lets me use some of the skills I picked up in everyday life.

I only started cosplaying about ten years ago (at sci-fi conventions first, then for anime conventions) and am hoping to do so for many years to come (at 52 years of age right now).  I love cosplaying my favorite characters, and learning new sewing/crafting tricks to get the outfits put together.  I'm hoping to get to a few of the cosplaying panels this year, especially the armor making panel, so I can add a new outfit next year!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well this is definitely the wrong section for this thread.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TwistedFayt

Yes I think I'd have to agree with all of you. There's just something about becoming someone besides yourself for even just a day that makes the experience thrilling. It's almost like a Halloween that can take place more than only once a year. ^^ Not to mention that cosplaying has allowed me to try new things such as my recent hobby of creating hats, dolls, and other things that I may not have tried before.

QuoteWell this is definitely the wrong section for this thread.

Ah well I wasn't sure where this thread would have went. ^^;
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:

Mizuki

*sigh* This sure gets annoying doesn't it? Wish people would actually read on a forum, but I'm asking too much aren't I?

Moving to general discussion for now.

TwistedFayt

Quote from: Mizuki on April 26, 2011, 10:19:16 AM
*sigh* This sure gets annoying doesn't it? Wish people would actually read on a forum, but I'm asking too much aren't I?

Moving to general discussion for now.

D: Sorry. I really was confused because a lot of the boards were similar.
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:

TC X0 Lt 0X

It's all good, it happens all the time.

Jerry.

(ಠ_ಠ)

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement