Separate Lines for Pre and Early Reg on Day Zero

Started by FanFicGuru, April 28, 2011, 05:15:04 PM

FanFicGuru

So I've heard that both Pre and Early registration people will be able to pick up their badges on Thursday again. Granted that this is actually the case, I have a concern. I don't want to seem petty, but one of the main reasons why I got a pre-reg badge and have done so for the past 7  years or so is because I got to come on Thursday evening with a relatively small group to get my badge. Now I don't have an issue with letting Early registration people pick up their badges on the same night, but is there any way we can separate the lines? Last year I arrived fairly early and still the line was really long (I was waiting for about 3-4 hours) because there were a lot of early reg people there.

In any case, I know organizing all of this stuff is a headache to begin with and I appreciate all of the registration staff's attempts to make it a smooth process, but if you could address this so that pre registration people could get through the line just a bit quicker that would be great. Thanks!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

kookiekween99

I agree. It's a little unfair that someone who registered in November has to wait just as long as someone who registered in early May.

I don't have a problem with Pre and Early being on the same day, but I do like the idea of seperate lines.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Mango Bunny

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 28, 2011, 05:48:47 PM
I agree. It's a little unfair that someone who registered in November has to wait just as long as someone who registered in early May.

I don't have a problem with Pre and Early being on the same day, but I do like the idea of seperate lines.

Your argument doesn't make much sense. So you reg in November, but say I reg in January. So then it wouldn't be fair if I stood in the same line as you, right? Because I registered later.

I understand that you want the 'perks' that pre-reg 'used' to give. I don't think it really matters though. Say we have 10 booths open, giving out badges. We have 300 people in line. So say 150 are early reg, and 150 are pre-reg. So we divvy up the lines, and the booths.... And what we would have is 150 people in line for 5 booths on each side. Potentially, if it were skewed 75% pre-reg and 25% early reg you'd have a much faster line on the early reg side.

The reason we normally have two lines is because same-day reg has all kind of stuff to fill out, whereas pre/early reg is already together and ready to go.

I don't think it matters, since the same people who early reg'd could have just as easily pre-reg'd since there isn't a number limit or exclusive club.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 28, 2011, 06:11:06 PM

Your argument doesn't make much sense. So you reg in November, but say I reg in January. So then it wouldn't be fair if I stood in the same line as you, right? Because I registered later.

I understand that you want the 'perks' that pre-reg 'used' to give. I don't think it really matters though. Say we have 10 booths open, giving out badges. We have 300 people in line. So say 150 are early reg, and 150 are pre-reg. So we divvy up the lines, and the booths.... And what we would have is 150 people in line for 5 booths on each side. Potentially, if it were skewed 75% pre-reg and 25% early reg you'd have a much faster line on the early reg side.

The reason we normally have two lines is because same-day reg has all kind of stuff to fill out, whereas pre/early reg is already together and ready to go.

I don't think it matters, since the same people who early reg'd could have just as easily pre-reg'd since there isn't a number limit or exclusive club.

I'm not saying because I registered, say, a month earlier than you that I should get my badge faster, especially if you still registered in the pre-reg time frame. All I'm saying is that since early-reg covers such a wide swath of time that more and more people seem to be taking advantage of, and that pre-reg has been understood in the past as having day zero pick-up as a major benefit.

The same day and pre reg line separation is understandable for the very reasons you pointed out. All I'm saying is that for Thursday afternoon/evening, for day zero, pre-reg and early reg should have separate lines based on past years' benefits.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Mango Bunny

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 28, 2011, 06:50:51 PM
Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 28, 2011, 06:11:06 PM

I'm not saying because I registered, say, a month earlier than you that I should get my badge faster, especially if you still registered in the pre-reg time frame. All I'm saying is that since early-reg covers such a wide swath of time that more and more people seem to be taking advantage of, and that pre-reg has been understood in the past as having day zero pick-up as a major benefit.

The same day and pre reg line separation is understandable for the very reasons you pointed out. All I'm saying is that for Thursday afternoon/evening, for day zero, pre-reg and early reg should have separate lines based on past years' benefits.

What you are saying isn't making much sense to me, so I am assuming I'm missing something. Feel free to clarify.

I'll respond to what I think you're saying.

What I'm getting is "That makes sense, but let's ignore it and do my idea anyway"

And wide swath of time? Pre-reg lasts from....what? October until the end of March? April? Something like that. Early reg is what? 1, maybe 2 months?

What I really think is happening is  you having some odd concept of the specialness of pre-reg. I don't think it's really separate lines you want, because first of all it doesn't even make sense (unless you purposefully skewed it and put only 2 hypothetical open booths in the early reg side and another 8 hypothetical booths in the pre-reg side... But I don't see why we'd do that either) but mostly because you keep going "But we PRE-REGGED."  You know what I think the biggest perk of pre-reg is? I only payed like, 45 dollars or somesuch. CHA-CHING.

However, if all you want is another goody to make you feel like you get more for pre-reg, I can't really fault you there. But I also don't think it's really needed.

FanFicGuru

Let's put aside the "I pre regged and therefore deserve goodies" argument for a second and just look at it logistically.

In previous years when Thursday night was for pre reg pick up only, the lines were long, but still understandable. I don't think I ever waited longer than 2 or 2 and a half hours. By opening up Thursday night to early reg as well, as they did last year, the line grew exponentially. The reason for this isn't surprising. Early reg ends what? Like two weeks before Fanime? I'd be curious to see some numbers, but by that time I'd wager that 70-80% of Fanime attendees are already registered, with the remaining people getting same day badges or walk-in weekend badges. So you open pick up to a much MUCH larger group of people while maintaining the same number of registration staff and hours of operation as if you were handling only pre-reg people. Therefore, the line gets very long and so does the wait.

"It's day zero! Nothing's going on anyway!" - True, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to be standing in line for 4-5 hours.

Taking your hypothetical ten booth scenario, what would be so wrong with doing a 6/4 split between pre and early reg lines? When you're first in line to get concert tickets, you get better seats. It just seems to make sense that people who pre registered should get processed just a little bit faster.

Then again I might be the only guy who cares lol. I really don't want to seem to be making a fuss, it was just a shock to see how allowing early reg to pick up their badges on Thursday really impacts the ability for people to get their badges in a reasonable amount of time. But who knows? Maybe registration staff has an ace up their sleeve to get us all through the door in 60 minutes! Personally I wouldn't mind slapping a barcode on my forehead for quick scanning. Hah.
Swap meet staff - 2014

M

FanFicGuru: Just a small clarification, we usually try to get as many Registration staffers as we can to work on Thursday. I wasn't aware that the wait was 4-5 hours last year. I'll bug the Registration Manager at tomorrow's meeting. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Kyra_Maverick

The wait time really depends on when you get in line. I do swap meet on Thursday, so I get in line a few hours before the line even gets processed so I have time to get all my stuff to sell to stand in another line. I think once the line starts moving, it goes pretty fast.

FanFicGuru

Kyra: I do swap meet on Thursday too. I got there pretty early last year and still the wait was pretty bad compared to previous years. I have heard whispers in the dark that they may be doing a separate line for Thursday night swap meet people since they're wanting to get it started by 5, which would be great.

MPLe: From what I can remember my wait was about 3 1/2-4 hours. And I got there pretty early. Either way I noticed a substantial increase in wait time from the previous year which was pre reg only. Thanks for letting the Registration manager know. :)
Swap meet staff - 2014

Inuashley

I was wondering why last year's line was so much longer compared to previous years; I had no idea they lumped in early-reg with pre-reg! This makes total sense now, I know I stood in line for at least 4 hours on Day 0, and I was there relatively early.
Next conventions: Fanime 2011, Anime Next (?), Anime Expo, AM2

HakureiSandwih

It took me 6 hours to get my badge last year on Day 0. I arrived mid rush.

kookiekween99

Quote from: MPLe on April 29, 2011, 03:38:13 PM
FanFicGuru: Just a small clarification, we usually try to get as many Registration staffers as we can to work on Thursday. I wasn't aware that the wait was 4-5 hours last year. I'll bug the Registration Manager at tomorrow's meeting. :)

Even if this is the only thing that comes from this thread, and something improves the wait time even a little bit, we have acomplished something. :)
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

M

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 29, 2011, 10:42:48 PMEven if this is the only thing that comes from this thread, and something improves the wait time even a little bit, we have acomplished something. :)
Same line for both, but the process is being tweaked and will hopefully be faster. I say "hopefully" because it's hard to gauge it until we actually execute it.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!