Hugs lines or hugs in general?

Started by saya-chan-7, April 29, 2011, 09:46:00 PM

saya-chan-7

i was wondering about the hug lines and why they are gone? i really liked them. but what i herd is that people were complaining about being forced to hug? i only saw like 3 people do that, everione else just stood there with hug signs.
couldent we have like hug sighs and walk around with them? like dont ask for hugs but just go about our merry way and have them so if some wanted a hug theyd know it was ok.

i really did enjoy my first con , it had the hug line but fanime for me has gotten lamer by the year, i dont think ill be going next year if it keeps getting worse

edit**

wow you people dont read well and or dont get what i mean. i ment that yes i did enjoy the hugline a lot, and id be happy if they atleast allowed the sighns at least. the hug line was banned last year i know, but they didnt even let the people walk around with "hug me" on them. id be content with the shirt or watever.

also when i said fanime is getting lamer its not revolving around the hug line its in general. i go to the dance, artist alley, and so on. but it just wasnt as good as my first con. maybe im just getting used to the awsomeness  of con and im not effected like i was before. lol hpe this gives u more of a idea of what i ment on the message above, honestly u think ionly went to fanime for hugs? ffff not a chance.

and as the stinky people XD you are right

but still it was a small fraction of the overal hug people. that is all ^^

Mod edit: It's called a dance:)

LordKefka

I hated the hug line. It was awkward and blocked movement, causing traffic. I doubt staffs are going to stand there to manage a line where people stand holding out their arms looking for hugs.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

RooBird

Personally, I liked the hug line too. However, it seems quite a few of the people in line got a bit rowdy, hence why hug signs are no longer allowed. *shrugs* I'll miss the hug signs too, but I understand why Fanime decided to rule them out.
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)

TC X0 Lt 0X

I don't mind the existence of the Hug lines, but they do scream Weeaboo to me, and they are to me the scorn of the earth.
But what has been said, they are an unneeded and disruptive.
If the hug lines being gone makes you not want to return next year, REALLY, you are going to Fanime for the wrong reasons. The Hug line CAN be fun, but it is nowhere as fun as going to some of the panels like Cthulhu for President, or going to MusicFest.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ice queen

I don't like the hug lines or being near them. They are very uncomfortable, especially when someone hugs you without permission. There are plenty of reasons to go to fanime...hugs lines should not be one.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

Nina Star 9

I agree that if you go to Fanime for the hug lines, then you are seriously missing out and wasting your time and money.

I personally really disliked the hug lines. There were a lot more than 3 people forcing hugs, it blocked traffic, and made me too uncomfortable to walk to that end of the CC. If hug lines were brought back, I'd seriously protest, especially since my cosplays have gotten skimpier and I try to be as careful as possible in them.

Allowing hug lines only if staffers stand there making sure that no one hugs by force is a waste of resources. If you want free hugs, wear a shirt or a button. Or just ask the people you want hugs from. The worst they'll do is refuse.

HunterZero

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 29, 2011, 11:35:10 PM
I don't mind the existence of the Hug lines, but they do scream Weeaboo to me, and they are to me the scorn of the earth.
But what has been said, they are an unneeded and disruptive.
If the hug lines being gone makes you not want to return next year, REALLY, you are going to Fanime for the wrong reasons. The Hug line CAN be fun, but it is nowhere as fun as going to some of the panels like Cthulhu for President, or going to MusicFest.

Aww shucks, yer makin me blush
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

HunterZero

I don't understand the point of hug lines.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

ShadowKnight508

I didn't care much for the hug line last year. Apart from clogging up the walkways, they are unneeded and a bother. I would not miss it if it did not happen at this year's FanimeCon.
Currently doing massive wiki edits on AnimeVice. Will be doing cosplay photos at FanimeCon for AnimeVice's site. T-minus 3 days to FanimeCon!

Planned Cons: FanimeCon 2011, KinToki-Con 2011, SACAnime 2011
http://shadowknight508.deviantart.com/gallery

psycrop

How do people that give hugs deal with smelly people? You are bound to cross those more than once if you are at a con...*barf*

PyronIkari

I've explained the idea before, but I will explain it again.

"What's the point of hug lines".

Before you answer that, you step back and have to look at the people that are part of the hug lines.

Anime conventions and generally anime fans like with most hobbies outside of the social norm, are filled with just that. People that don't fit the social norm, or rather, socially awkward people. These are the types that generally aren't well accepted at school, never really fit in with the crowd, nor are they comfortable in the real world (before you attack me. Yes this is a generalization but it is a true one).

When they go to conventions they see it as a haven from the real world. That they no longer have to "conform" with the world and they can be who they really are (socially awkward people). This is why they think it's alright to do things that are normally socially unacceptable. Because they generally feel that they are unwanted or uncared about because they are socially awkward, they do things like make signs asking for hugs, because it allows them to feel cared about, wanted, accepted, a feeling they generally don't get outside of the con.

In the same vein you have people that act out and scream/yell. Repeating memes from the internet or acting out. They feel that conventions are a haven where they can do this, and it will be acceptable. Again things they would probably never do out in the real world, but they feel they can do it here.

Of course there's other places they do it, but only in numbers and when they feel safe, such as the protests of scientology. Which is funny because half the people that protest at those have no clue the details of things, it's almost as ignorant as the people who claim if you don't serve god you'll burn in hell and protest in front of fanime every year(see what I did there?).

So the point? It's to feel something they generally don't feel. Acceptance and appreciation for who they are. Is it appropriate? not really but it's not harming anyone. Is it incredibly awkward? Yes, of course it is. Does it make sense for them to do it? In a way yes, but it's still incredibly awkward and annoying because they push it on to people and do disrupt others mildly.

TuddtFudders

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 05, 2011, 01:51:07 PM
I've explained the idea before, but I will explain it again.

"What's the point of hug lines".

Before you answer that, you step back and have to look at the people that are part of the hug lines.

Anime conventions and generally anime fans like with most hobbies outside of the social norm, are filled with just that. People that don't fit the social norm, or rather, socially awkward people. These are the types that generally aren't well accepted at school, never really fit in with the crowd, nor are they comfortable in the real world (before you attack me. Yes this is a generalization but it is a true one).

When they go to conventions they see it as a haven from the real world. That they no longer have to "conform" with the world and they can be who they really are (socially awkward people). This is why they think it's alright to do things that are normally socially unacceptable. Because they generally feel that they are unwanted or uncared about because they are socially awkward, they do things like make signs asking for hugs, because it allows them to feel cared about, wanted, accepted, a feeling they generally don't get outside of the con.

In the same vein you have people that act out and scream/yell. Repeating memes from the internet or acting out. They feel that conventions are a haven where they can do this, and it will be acceptable. Again things they would probably never do out in the real world, but they feel they can do it here.

Of course there's other places they do it, but only in numbers and when they feel safe, such as the protests of scientology. Which is funny because half the people that protest at those have no clue the details of things, it's almost as ignorant as the people who claim if you don't serve god you'll burn in hell and protest in front of fanime every year(see what I did there?).

So the point? It's to feel something they generally don't feel. Acceptance and appreciation for who they are. Is it appropriate? not really but it's not harming anyone. Is it incredibly awkward? Yes, of course it is. Does it make sense for them to do it? In a way yes, but it's still incredibly awkward and annoying because they push it on to people and do disrupt others mildly.

THIS, thank you for posting this so it can be a reminder for anyone that reads this so that anyone that does that at con's or plans to do so will at least think before they do so and we can have a much more pleasant con experience. (brofist here)