Sharks playoff party

Started by otakuya, April 29, 2011, 11:27:02 PM

otakuya

If the Sharks move on to the Western Conf. Finals and Stanley Cup Finals, the games would be on the same days of Fanime. Any chance Fanime could have a special viewing room of the game(s) or anything special Sharks-related for Fanime?

M

Quote from: Otakuya on April 29, 2011, 11:27:02 PM
If the Sharks move on to the Western Conf. Finals and Stanley Cup Finals, the games would be on the same days of Fanime. Any chance Fanime could have a special viewing room of the game(s) or anything special Sharks-related for Fanime?
Depending on which games are at which locations, some/most of the staff (and some attendees as well!) would end up at the game :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

boots01

i now i'd love to go...  of course, if most of the staff went, we'd have a problem...
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

M

Quote from: boots01 on May 09, 2011, 11:44:05 PM
i now i'd love to go...  of course, if most of the staff went, we'd have a problem...
I don't know about the other staffers, but I will have my staff prepared in the event that I disappear mysteriously during the Sharks game(s). :P

Sen

Quote from: MPLe on May 10, 2011, 04:49:58 AM
Quote from: boots01 on May 09, 2011, 11:44:05 PM
I don't know about the other staffers, but I will have my staff prepared in the event that I disappear mysteriously during the Sharks game(s). :P

I wonder if the radios work at the HP pavilion....not that I'd be able to hear it.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

ewu

Quote from: Sen on May 10, 2011, 09:44:08 PM
I wonder if the radios work at the HP pavilion....not that I'd be able to hear it.

It's OK, I don't watch hockey....I'm not Canadian.... O:-)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

MikeTSA

Heh, the Sharks need to actually win first. They blew a 3-0 series lead and now its tied. Nothing against San Jose, but anything to avoid making the city more chaotic and crowded is better in my book, so I'm kinda hoping SJ loses. I already am stoked the Lakers lost so we in the gaming industry don't have to deal with the hell that is the Lakers playing at the Staples Center during E3, especially last year with Game 7 on the last day of the show (and all those riots after).

otakuya

Well, we'll find out if Fanime and the Western Conf. Finals are gonna clash this Thursday for game 7.

^ The Sharks didn't really 'blew' anything because the games were so close, its like losing a coin flip each time. If you don't count the empty netter, every game in the series was a 1 goal game.

^ As far as clashing goes, the Tank and Fanime are far enough from each other, unlike Staples and E3. San Jose is actually at its best when its crowded.

M

Quote from: MikeTSA on May 10, 2011, 10:44:14 PM
Heh, the Sharks need to actually win first. They blew a 3-0 series lead and now its tied. Nothing against San Jose, but anything to avoid making the city more chaotic and crowded is better in my book, so I'm kinda hoping SJ loses. I already am stoked the Lakers lost so we in the gaming industry don't have to deal with the hell that is the Lakers playing at the Staples Center during E3, especially last year with Game 7 on the last day of the show (and all those riots after).
Hoping that a team loses so that you have a better experience is pretty selfish. Having a team in the playoffs (or equiv. in any sport) actually helps bring that city revenue. I'm not a Lakers fan and I definitely don't condone the rioting (other negative actions), but I would never wish that they lose for the reason that you specified.

Also, lol E3.

HunterZero

I'm thinking that the Sharks will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't follow hockey, but they seem to be on their way to blowing a 3 game lead.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Wabbit98

I thought the Tank was the same exit off of 87 as I take to get to the Convention Center?  Of course I am not from San Jose and I take the same route every time I have go to the Convention Center.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

MikeTSA

Quote from: MPLe on May 11, 2011, 11:51:24 PM
Quote from: MikeTSA on May 10, 2011, 10:44:14 PM
Hoping that a team loses so that you have a better experience is pretty selfish. Having a team in the playoffs (or equiv. in any sport) actually helps bring that city revenue. I'm not a Lakers fan and I definitely don't condone the rioting (other negative actions), but I would never wish that they lose for the reason that you specified.

Also, lol E3.

I'm not a Sharks fan, but I'm not a Red Wings fan, either. Sure, it's selfish, but why do I need to show support/loyalty to a team I don't like? If it's a choice between being a hypocrite or selfish, I take the latter so I can enjoy Fanime.

Though I didn't originally state this info, and was being selfish in my expressed satisfaction that the Lakes lost, thus making the busiest week of my work easier...I hate the Lakers, and I'm originally from Dallas, so it's not just that it made work hell, the team I care for won. So it ended up that the team I root for won, and as a result, working E3 in three weeks isn't going to be more of a nightmare.

"LoL E3" means exactly what? If that's suppose to be somewhat of a snide remark, you realize I not only work in the video game industry, but am holding an industry panel, right? It's not like I'm outright being rude about the Sharks. They're a good team that made the playoffs, I'm just not a fan so I don't inherently care if they win or lose.

I really don't mean to be that antagonistic against the Sharks (yea, if they win, it might be more crowded, which could suck, but it's good for the city and all as you've pointed out), but I think it's completely rational and fair to say anyone who has a 3-0 series lead and lets it slip away "blew it". Though the finality of that statement won't be rendered significant until the results of tonight's game.

On topic...if they do win, as a sports fan, that would be cool if Fanime did some cross over into non-traditional programming/events and had a watching party type activity.

ewu

Don't make my anti-hockey mean-ness lock this thread.

NOT for discussion on the sport but a discussion on the "party"...if any
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

M

Quote from: MikeTSA on May 12, 2011, 11:39:54 AMI'm not a Sharks fan, but I'm not a Red Wings fan, either. Sure, it's selfish, but why do I need to show support/loyalty to a team I don't like? If it's a choice between being a hypocrite or selfish, I take the latter so I can enjoy Fanime.

Though I didn't originally state this info, and was being selfish in my expressed satisfaction that the Lakes lost, thus making the busiest week of my work easier...I hate the Lakers, and I'm originally from Dallas, so it's not just that it made work hell, the team I care for won. So it ended up that the team I root for won, and as a result, working E3 in three weeks isn't going to be more of a nightmare.

"LoL E3" means exactly what? If that's suppose to be somewhat of a snide remark, you realize I not only work in the video game industry, but am holding an industry panel, right? It's not like I'm outright being rude about the Sharks. They're a good team that made the playoffs, I'm just not a fan so I don't inherently care if they win or lose.

I really don't mean to be that antagonistic against the Sharks (yea, if they win, it might be more crowded, which could suck, but it's good for the city and all as you've pointed out), but I think it's completely rational and fair to say anyone who has a 3-0 series lead and lets it slip away "blew it". Though the finality of that statement won't be rendered significant until the results of tonight's game.

On topic...if they do win, as a sports fan, that would be cool if Fanime did some cross over into non-traditional programming/events and had a watching party type activity.
I never stated that you had to show support or loyalty for a team that you don't like (and/or care for). Your post just made it seem as if you wanted certain teams to lose so that you could have a better time. Good to see that it wasn't (fully) the case. Text is hard to interpret sometimes. ;)

Also, the "lol E3" remark wasn't supposed to be a snide remark to you. Coming from someone that used to attend E3 for fun and play, it's definitely changed to some sort of unfun event now. It's really more for friends to get together now.

Don't mistake my comments for "RAWR, YOU WANT THE SHARKS TO LOSE SO YOU SUCK!" I purposely swayed away from saying anything that could be taken as such. I just wanted to point out that having a team in the playoffs helps the city and it just so happens to be the city that FanimeCon is hosted in.

And now back on topic, if there is a chance that we could broadcast the Sharks game somewhere in the convention center/hotel/etc., we definitely would. As much as I would love to pipe it into the convention center screens, this would upset the non-Sharks fans and I wouldn't want that.

otakuya

So...about that playoff party... :)

MikeTSA

Seems I spoke too soon on two accounts. First, congrats to the Sharks. Second, not a single game will be in San Jose during Fanime (okay, maybe on Day 0). Should it go to Game 7, it would be in Vancouver on Saturday, May 28th. So that whole thing I posted about was m00t in the end. If there is a watching party, I'd like to stop by. As I said, not a Sharks fan, but I do enjoy watching the playoffs.