Best way to get ready for Black & White Ball?

Started by windowrunner, May 01, 2011, 06:07:45 PM

windowrunner

I've never done anything like the ball and I'm wondering what would be a good way to be prepared for it?

Will attending the private lessons teach me enough for the ball? Or should I try going to a dance session for each type of dance? Looks like there's a lot. =p

pokkypok

I would advise going to a few of the dance sessions. Not all of them, unless you end up really liking them. Just pick and choose what sounds interesting to you.
They are a great way to meet people, and you will probably see those people at the ball and can dance and chat with them.
Also, it does help to teach the basics pretty well. I've never done private lessons, so I'm not sure how they compare, but for me, the dance sessions have been enough.
Just keep in mind that a good amount of people at the ball don't know how to dance every dance. Also, if you get asked to dance one you don't know, the person who asks you will most likely be kind enough to teach you. (This happens a lot, i've taught a few people, a few people have taught me)
And make sure you review the dress code online! It would be awful to have all your dance moves down and then get turned away at the door.

Wabbit98

The best way, to learn the dances at least, is to attend the dance lessons.  Again you do not need to attend every single lesson.  You can pick and choose.  Some people do go to multiple lessons.  The private lessons are for more on on one teaching and last about 30 minutes.  Generally it covers one dance, and the moves taught during the private lessons might always be the moves taught during the regular lessons.

Hopefully we will see you at the lessons and the Ball, also do not forget their is a dress code for the Ball.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Kevin
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

windowrunner

I'm glad I asked. =)
I'll look up the dances and pick some that sound interesting and then wing the rest.
I got the dress code covered. I have a suit and have only worn it once, so the ball would be good opportunity to have some fun with it.

thanks!  ;)

OniCourseMusha

If you see the guy wearing the Brain Age cosplay (or guy with the Brain Age sign on his head) during Fanime, I can explain a lot more about the event that you need to konw since I've been attending since 2007 and started helping out 2008.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

xichisex

I only attend about three lessons and don't do more. Mainly because that way you can practice those three - and make them diverse like two-step and then swing and waltz - so you are prepared for any kind of song that comes along. You don't have to be a professional when you go to the ball. My friend and I kind of remember bits and pieces of what we've learned over the years, so we just put it all together. A lot of people even just do their own thing. Looking like you know what you are doing when you attend is nice, but its also about having fun. I don't want to say it's like prom, but a lot of people just do their own dancing while those around them do the choreographed lessons they were taught.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Okach

But unlike prom, you can grab a more experienced dancer without getting shot down, you're encouraged to dance, and it's definitely a lot more friendly :).  Funny you should mention prom, since one of the reasons we're in the Regency ballroom this year is that the big ballroom is being used for a prom and a wedding.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Okach

Forgot - and we're offering intermediate classes this year, so if you want to add to the repertoire, feel free!
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/