Hilton Pool NOT Closed May 26-30

Started by Kyra_Maverick, May 06, 2011, 07:30:21 PM

Kyra_Maverick

Just checked the San Jose Hilton website and it seems the pool will be closed the duration of the con. Who else thinks this isn't a coincidence?

We had to sign waivers last year stating that we wouldn't cause trouble or mischief, and now this. If attendees don't clean up their act I don't think the Hilton will be wanting anything to do with Fanime.

EDIT: Seems the pool will not be closed, good news.

RowanRavensong

The Hilton was not even listed on the Hotel list this year... So I am THINKING that they said UHHHHM NO! I mean I even remember someone urking in the elevator. (Maybe that was the Marriott...) but I saw neither listed on the website

Mango Bunny

You know, I strongly doubt that the Hilton will cut us off. Do you know how much revenue they'd lose?? Closing the pool is one thing. Closing their doors to us? Not going to happen.

I just see it as a preventative action.

And yes, the Hilton was listed this year, and I'm staying in the Marriott.

Kyra_Maverick

I booked my Hilton room through Fanime, so it was definitely on the hotel list.

And I agree it's unlikely the Hilton will cut off Fanime completely, but it still feels like they're imposing all these regulations on us other hotels are not. I'm super embarrassed for Fanime and it's attendees that such regulations are felt needed in the first place.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 06, 2011, 09:26:55 PM
I booked my Hilton room through Fanime, so it was definitely on the hotel list.

And I agree it's unlikely the Hilton will cut off Fanime completely, but it still feels like they're imposing all these regulations on us other hotels are not. I'm super embarrassed for Fanime and it's attendees that such regulations are felt needed in the first place.
Well, though they are closing the pool, the website also says they're giving us drink vouchers at check-in since the lounge will be closed that weekend (and a few select others).  If we're really that much of an issue, wouldn't they not be giving us a free drink and instead be saving the vouchers for all the other weekends the lounge is closed?

BrightHeart76

The San Jose Hilton has been going thru a big remodel for a couple of years.  I don't know if the pool being closed has anything to do with Fanime, they may just be upgrading the pool. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Moonblossom

Holiday weekends are usually huge sources of revenue for hotels. I'd be pretty shocked if they actually went ahead and scheduled maintenance for Memorial Day weekend without taking this into account. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Kyra_Maverick

I was on the 4th ot 5th floor last year and you could hear people in the pool late into the night, not bothering to keep their voice down and having splash contests.

Moonblossom

Dumb question, does anyone know if this includes the hot tub as well? Like, is it the whole pool deck or just the pool itself? I'd call the hotel and ask but they don't have a toll-free number. :P

I was sort of relying on the hot tub being open to help with the edema and stiffness in my legs due to my miscellaneous obnoxious health problems...

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 07, 2011, 05:17:13 PM
Dumb question, does anyone know if this includes the hot tub as well? Like, is it the whole pool deck or just the pool itself? I'd call the hotel and ask but they don't have a toll-free number. :P

I was sort of relying on the hot tub being open to help with the edema and stiffness in my legs due to my miscellaneous obnoxious health problems...
I have no idea, but if the hot tub is in the the same room as the pool, then I would guess it will be closed as well.  My advice is to ask at check-in, and if it is in fact closed, draw a nice hot bath to relieve the stiffness in your legs.  It might not be as good as the hot tub, but it's something.

Moonblossom

Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I'm nearly six feet tall so I usually have to fold myself up to fit in a hotel tub XD

They're outdoors, both on the same patio-ish area.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 07, 2011, 05:33:48 PM
Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I'm nearly six feet tall so I usually have to fold myself up to fit in a hotel tub XD

They're outdoors, both on the same patio-ish area.
Ah, I see.  This is my first year at the Hilton, so I'm not very familiar with the layout.  But in that case I hope the hot tub is in fact open so you can get some more convenient relief for your legs.  The room's tub is a decent last-ditch resort, but given your height, the hot tub would be a lot better.

ewu

The hotel people are nice:) call them:)

We are checking on it too, but if you get an answer, feel free to share!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

HunterZero

I remember the Hilton pool being super lame. The Marriott pool is much better.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: HunterZero on May 07, 2011, 09:53:48 PM
I remember the Hilton pool being super lame. The Marriott pool is much better.
Do you need to have a hotel room key to get in?  I know some hotels do that as an extra precaution so they don't have people abusing it.

HunterZero

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on May 07, 2011, 10:02:52 PM
Do you need to have a hotel room key to get in?  I know some hotels do that as an extra precaution so they don't have people abusing it.

Oh yes, you need a room key to get into either pool.

That doesn't make the Hilton pool any less lame though.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

kookiekween99

Has anyone called to find out why?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Moonblossom

I haven't yet, since like I said it costs me a lot in long distance. If nobody's got an answer by the 20th or so, I need to call the hotel for some other stuff, so I can ask then.

eHash

looks like it's been resolved.

venus_ivy

We've contacted the hotel, and they will not be closing the pool during FanimeCon. The website will not be updated for a few days, but rest assured that the pool will be available!

Thanks!
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!