LEIJI MATSUMOTO UNIVERSE GATHERING 2012 - NEW REVISION 4-2-2012!!!

Started by Dany, May 09, 2011, 08:57:21 AM

Dany

2012 LEIJI MATSUMOTO UNIVERSE GATHERING AT FANIME - REVISED as of 2-3-2012

Come and show a little love for one of the greats of Old School Anime!  Just some of the eligible series sources available to you include:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock and related material
Galaxy Express 999 and related material
Interstella 555
Gun Frontier
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers)
Out of Galaxy Koshika
Ozma (newly released on Crunchyroll)
Queen Emeraldas
And much more that I am so forgetting XD !

Day: Friday

Time:
6PM for those interested in joining in the Old School Gathering (pre-2000 cosplays only, organizer is BSaphire!).
7PM for those not attending the Old School Gathering (any Matsumoto cosplays, no matter of when released)

Meeting Place:  FiF MS = Flowerbed in Front (Side of Flowerbed Marriott Side)
Organizer: Dany  Backup Organizer: TBD

SPECIAL NOTES:: Currently seeking a backup organizer. Please PM Dany if you are interested!!!

Currently Confirmed Characters In Attendance

Dany - Miime (ORGANIZER)
Darieum - Captain Harlock (SSX version)
tallgeese_custom2002 - Schwanhelt Bulge (The Galaxy Railways)
junkeemonkey +1: Captain Harlock and Tadachi Daiba

Tentative

Coming Soon!

Any questions, please PM me either here, or at Cosplay.com: My handle is the same in both sites. Looking forward to another great gathering!!

OTHER RELATED EVENTS/LINKS
Cosplay.com Leiji Matsumoto-verse thread: Coming Soon!

Leiji Matsumoto Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiji_Matsumoto
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Dany

Giving this thread a gentle bump so that people following the old thread will find this one, or that new folks can find out about us!

Two weeks from today...still waiting to hear about us on the "official" level, but I think that will come shortly *fingers crossed!*

By the way, I have officially decided that I will wear my Kei "jail jammies" instead of Miime, since I have no photos of Kei to speak of (and I'd like some!!).  I'll upload a screenshot of the costume soon so I will be easier to spot, but it's more or less just Kei Yuki in a light blue/dark blue shirt and pants with a "13" on the front and back of the shirt. 

If all else fails, look for the 6'3" Harlock ^.^

tatterpixie

I am so excited! *dances* My Tochiro is very nearly done, just have to finish the hat and put some treads on the geta so I don't kill myself walking in them. XD I'll be easy to spot -- I mean, really, GIGANTIC HAT, and also 5' tall (or short, as the case may be) with the geta. XD

I'll poke my friends and see if they're going to make it, and I'll keep you posted. ^_^

Fanime 2013 cosplay plans:
Tochiro Oyama (Captain Harlock)
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Dany

Latest update: We are now listed in the Official Gatherings list!  YAY!

Looking forward to seeing all of you very soon :)

Currently deliberating if I should bring my Tochiro hat prop along for this...

Dany

Quote from: tatterpixie on May 16, 2011, 08:27:03 AM
I am so excited! *dances* My Tochiro is very nearly done, just have to finish the hat and put some treads on the geta so I don't kill myself walking in them. XD I'll be easy to spot -- I mean, really, GIGANTIC HAT, and also 5' tall (or short, as the case may be) with the geta. XD

I'll poke my friends and see if they're going to make it, and I'll keep you posted. ^_^

EXCELLENT! And so funny, I was babbling on about bring my Tochiro hat (which is big and silly, but I guess that's what it's s'posed to be). Brain melding going on.

And I get you on shoe treading..I have a pair of shoes for another costume that came with the slickest soles in the known universe. Seriously, I could slide across the floor with these suckers. They need to go to a cobbler though for what I am gonna need. So much to do, so little time :P

capeswirlinggirl

Yay! we're official!!! *laughs* love all the Tochiro hats! Can't wait...but so much to do so little time indeed. I'm still finishing up my new capelette. At least I've got the old one as a back up ;) I think we shall all be easy to spot between giant hats, really long hair and large Matsumoto style collars!

akira_chan

Oh man, so much long hair.....reminds me, I need to check my wig since I wore this for the SF CBF and it really took a toll on it.

Dany

Quote from: akira_chan on May 18, 2011, 12:55:01 AM
Oh man, so much long hair.....reminds me, I need to check my wig since I wore this for the SF CBF and it really took a toll on it.

UGH I know! My Emeraldas wig suffered mightily when I was in that last year. It's all about the silicone spray and the Motions Oil Sheen (though not too much of the latter, as that will make it reaaaallly oily).

My wig for Kei isn't as long as the ones for Emeraldas or Miime, which will be another bonus to not playing the alien that day.

digitalsidhe

Quote from: Dany on May 09, 2011, 08:57:21 AM
Tentative
+1 friend of capeswirlgirl - Maetel
+2 tatterpixie - Harlock, Emeraldas, Mr. Bird

Hi, I'm one of Tatterpixie's +2 friends. It's now looking very likely that we'll be able to attend (fingers crossed that the costumes will arrive tomorrow!).

However, we will have no Mr. Bird. Just Harlock and Emeraldas.

Really looking forward to this!  ;D

I'll post again to confirm when the costumes arrive.

BrutalBarbarian

Hey there! I'm finishing up a alternate timeline Harlock, its mentioned in a scene in either "arcadia of my youth" or the original series (or both i think) the harlock family was once a bunch of "pirate-knights"(I kid you not, that was the term) in Heiligenstadt, Germany, and coincidentally I perform at renaissance faires in a group of 16th century German Landsknecht mercenaries who pretty much fit that description(of being pirate knights), sooo I'm using medieval black n white steel armor breastplate and bevor with added skull n crossbones, combined with my red n black doublet and a medieval rendition of harlock's cape and mantle plus the wig n eyepatch n scar etc etc etc

I will be the pirate-knightly Harlock ;]

This's gonna be friggin awesome, Ive been going to fanime a couple years(last year i was kamina) but this would be my first cosplay gathering. pretty badass one to start off with I'de say XD

Dany

YAY! Very excited to see people confirming. Looking forward to seeing you all at the convention!!

digitalsidhe: No worries on the lack of a Bird. Just bring your fine selves and that will be awesome!

BrutalBarbarian: That bit sounds very familiar..like..Arcadia of my Youth familiar! I like a good unique concept from time to time :)  

Only a few more days. I'm in the middle of finishing up another costume now, and I need to pack. UGH. I want my stuff to appear magically in my hotel room :P

EDIT: Have updated first post. Will keep an eye out for new folks but I'll probably not update the thread after Thursday evening or so as I'll be tangled up in last minute prep.

digitalsidhe

Confirmed: Our costumes are here! We will be at the meetup, all decked out Arcadia-style, and ready to have fun!

Dany

Quote from: digitalsidhe on May 23, 2011, 09:00:29 PM
Confirmed: Our costumes are here! We will be at the meetup, all decked out Arcadia-style, and ready to have fun!

WOOHOO!!

Also, a little note for you all... Darieum (my Harlock husband) and I will be in the Cosplayer's Hangout from 3-4 PM doing a mini-panel/Q&A on the weapons he made for both his Harlock and my Emeraldas costumes.  It's a fairly laid-back deal, but we'll have at least his Harlock gear and Emeraldas' gun, though I'm trying to convince him that we can fit Emeraldas' saber too. My only concern is what we'll do with it for the meetup, since I'm not in my own Emeraldas outfit.

The Hangout is in the Winchester room of the Hilton, and we'll proceed right after to check in for the gathering. :D

tatterpixie

Quote from: Dany on May 24, 2011, 08:24:38 AM
Also, a little note for you all... Darieum (my Harlock husband) and I will be in the Cosplayer's Hangout from 3-4 PM doing a mini-panel/Q&A on the weapons he made for both his Harlock and my Emeraldas costumes.  It's a fairly laid-back deal, but we'll have at least his Harlock gear and Emeraldas' gun, though I'm trying to convince him that we can fit Emeraldas' saber too. My only concern is what we'll do with it for the meetup, since I'm not in my own Emeraldas outfit.

I'm really looking forward to that mini-panel! I was going to try to kitbash a Cosmo Dragoon, but I ran outta time and bandwidth -- and wouldn't you know, TODAY I found a guy who makes prop replicas, just on the other side of Pennsylvania from me. Much too late to order one!

capeswirlinggirl

Also, a little note for you all... Darieum (my Harlock husband) and I will be in the Cosplayer's Hangout from 3-4 PM doing a mini-panel/Q&A on the weapons he made for both his Harlock and my Emeraldas costumes. 

How exciting!!! If I can get checked into the hotel and changed in time I'll definitely come to this. My attempt to make a gravity saber several years ago was kind of sad...

Dany

Quote from: tatterpixie on May 24, 2011, 08:34:15 AM

I'm really looking forward to that mini-panel! I was going to try to kitbash a Cosmo Dragoon, but I ran outta time and bandwidth -- and wouldn't you know, TODAY I found a guy who makes prop replicas, just on the other side of Pennsylvania from me. Much too late to order one!

Hate it when that happens XD  And I get you on the bandwidth thing: Usually D and I sew our own costumes, but because the weapons were so time-consuming (it was his first time making weapons like that), I ended up doing his sewing for him while he finished all the props. We cut it SO close for the SF Cherry Blossom Festival....he literally did not sleep the night before!

Quote from: capeswirlinggirl on May 24, 2011, 11:02:06 AM
How exciting!!! If I can get checked into the hotel and changed in time I'll definitely come to this. My attempt to make a gravity saber several years ago was kind of sad...

But you tried! And you don't learn if you don't try. Even if the first attempt doesn't work, you learn things and the second effort can really improve. :) Hopefully you can come and you can get some ideas :)

tatterpixie

Now that I have a moment to breathe, I want to thank Dany for taking up the reins on this gather. OMG I had so much fun! I can't believe the number of people we had taking our pictures. XD It's like, the Leijiverse stuff is kind of obscure now because it's so old, but dang, when people recognize us, they go BANANAS. ^__^

I am SO up for doing this again next year! THANK YOU AGAIN, Dany! <3

BrutalBarbarian

Yeah that was hella tubular XD! thanks for letting me join in my crazy medieval pirate-knight Harlock concept XD. Next year if anybody is up for it, i think we could totally rock the masquerade n introduce some new people to the leijiverse with a cool swordfight or funny skit.

Next year though I'm thinking I may cosplay as Vaidas from part 3 of the Emeraldas OVA (either played straight or as a medieval version, he already looks exactly like a knight anyways XP) or come back as a much improved knightly harlock additionally with that black bird(i forget the name) on the shoulder(only im working on the design to make it look like some olde-world roman/austrian/russian/german medieval imperial eagle, im sure ya know what i mean)

alsoif anybody finds any links to galleries showing pics of our gathering, posting em here where we all can see em would be awesome XD

Dany

Quote from: BrutalBarbarian on May 29, 2011, 05:19:47 PM
Yeah that was hella tubular XD! thanks for letting me join in my crazy medieval pirate-knight Harlock concept XD. Next year if anybody is up for it, i think we could totally rock the masquerade n introduce some new people to the leijiverse with a cool swordfight or funny skit.

Go for it! Unfortunately my Harlock and I can't be in it because..well, we did Harlock and Emeraldas in the Masquerade last year, so if it happens, I'll just have to cheer you on :)

I'm very glad people had fun (or at very least I hope they did!). I am hoping that next year we'll have a slightly stronger turnout, and I'm seriously giving thought to a Saturday gather instead of Friday so that people who need to get to con are not left out.  Also, I'm hoping a little "fair warning" may pull a few newer Matsumoto cosplayers out of the woodwork. I don't know if the thread started "officially" soon enough for people to consider making plans.

But..I'm game!

And with that, I go try to clean my sewing room. Because it's a mess XD

BrutalBarbarian

any idea if any of the photos of our gathering have been anywhere posted yet? next year im pretty sure there'll be a stronger turnout considering the CGI captain harlock movie is supposedly gonna be released in 2012.