LEIJI MATSUMOTO UNIVERSE GATHERING 2012 - NEW REVISION 4-2-2012!!!

Started by Dany, May 09, 2011, 08:57:21 AM

Dany

Quote from: BrutalBarbarian on May 30, 2011, 02:48:51 PM
any idea if any of the photos of our gathering have been anywhere posted yet? next year im pretty sure there'll be a stronger turnout considering the CGI captain harlock movie is supposedly gonna be released in 2012.

I saw two on ACP, but that's it so far, and I think it was early in the gather when a few people hadn't made it yet.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

akira_chan

I loved this gathering! Thank you everyone who came, you were all so sweet and it was great meeting you all =). Also thank you Dany for helping me with my wig, that thing gets all sorts of everywhere and loves to stick on the velvet. Totally excited for next years group.

capeswirlinggirl

Yes, thank you Dany! The gathering was amazing, it was nice to meet everyone! I'm very much looking forward to doing this again next year. Hopefully I may have some weapons of my own then ;) (thanks for the loan Dany and Darieum!) I only managed to get one or two pictures of our gathering, but I'll post i link to them here when I get them online.

Dany

Quote from: capeswirlinggirl on June 02, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
Yes, thank you Dany! The gathering was amazing, it was nice to meet everyone! I'm very much looking forward to doing this again next year. Hopefully I may have some weapons of my own then ;) (thanks for the loan Dany and Darieum!) I only managed to get one or two pictures of our gathering, but I'll post i link to them here when I get them online.

They are kind of scattered about. I'm trying to keep my eyes open for them. Saw two pop up on ACP so far though :)

Oh, by the way, I will probably edit the first post of this thread so that we can use it for next year's gather. This one isn't big by any means and is fairly new, so I figure it will keep this year's post-discussions together with planning for next year. When the thread becomes big and ungainly I can make a new one then XD

One thing I definitely want to arrange next year that I feel bad I didn't do this year: Character posing lists. Given that this was my first run of things (and since we were small we kept things kind of short and sweet), I hope to try to put something together so we're a bit more structured.  I think the one posing setup I didn't even THINK about until several days later was all of the Emeraldas cosplayers with the Maetel...because hey, SISTERS! And we could really use at least one shot of all the Emeraldas cosplayers fawning over Tochiro XD

Next year I think I'll definitely bring Miime. I like Kei, but she looked like an oddball next to you guys XD  I would try to see if I could make Shinunora (the end credits from Gun Frontier have a GREAT dress I'd love to try), but I've got at least one other plan in the works that has to be done first. And I work so slooooowwww...

Maetel, wherever you are....PLEASE PLEASE ask your Conductor friend to come by next year!! For that matter, if any of you know of people who might be interested, drag them in. I know there are more out there (I think AX had a group last year, in fact), it's just a matter of spreading the word :D

Capeswirlinggirl: No problem on loaning you Emeraldas' saber! Had I thought about it a little more I'd have had Darieum bring all three of the cosmo dragoons we had so you could have one of those too, but I think we were thinking in terms of planning for the Q&A and didn't think we needed three of the same weapon.

Dany

Dany

Hey everyone!

I've just edited the first post to make it ready for a 2012 event. I'll be posting a Cosplay.com threa as well, though it may not be for a few more weeks. I have a lot of stuff going on offline at the moment so I'm not checking forums as much.  You're welcome to send me a PM however, as I should get notifiations on those. :)

Feel free to put this thread in whatever preferred status you want, if you want. Myself, I am thinking seriously about putting together that Shinunora dress, maybe in time for ye ol' Dickens Faire. *happy bouncing!*

Dany

Hi there!

Taking a moment to resurrect this thread because I have a request for my fellow Matsumoto cosplay fans!

This year, it has come to my attetion that we'll need a backup organizer for our gathering. So with that in mind, I'd like to see if anyone is interested in the honor of being a backup organizer! There isn't that much to the task, unless something dire happens to me, which I am hoping is not going to be an issue. But should a worst-case scenario occur, then that person will organize us in my stead. You will be listed in the forum threads regardng gatherings as a backup..we might need contact information to give to the Gatherings department (unpublished). But as I said...I hope not to really "need" you :)

I'd prefer to actually have two people designated as an absolute failsafe, but one is absolutely needed. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested and have an questions.

Another thing regarding 2012 Gathering scheduling: My husband and I are planning to compete in the Fanime Masquerade again in 2012 (wooooo!). With that said, it means that Sunday (or Saturday, if the Masquerade runs that day) is a definite can't-do for a gathering, unless a backup organizer would be willing to run it on my behalf..which I admit, kind of defeats the purpose of being an organizer :)

Beyond that, I'm pretty open, but I'd like to have a day and time scheduled after the new year starts. Seeing we are at mid-October, this gives you some time to review other events or gatherings you may want to do, see where you are open, and perhaps offer a suggestion or two for anything from logistics (i.e. should we keep the front door area as our meetup place, or pick another spot?) to a list of shots to get of various characters.

Some notes regarding day options at this point:

-Saturday is a big day for gatherings, and probably best exposure for all of us, but that means we may have more conflicts with other gatherings.

-Friday was OK this year, but it was too early for some. Would anyone be interested in an evening gather? The latest we can schedule is 7PM, based on the Gatherings thread schedule that is (currently) unfilled.  I do think we could get some cool late afternoon/evening shots outdoors if people were up for it, which could be awesome if the night is clear.

-Sunday: Assuming it's Masquerade day as it has been...I really REALLY don't want to run it on that day. However, I am aware that it could be that the group schedule may be more lenient than my own, so if no other plan can be agreed upon for Friday/Saturday, Sunday morning early (10-11AM, perhaps) would possibly work.

Hope all of you are well, and I'm looking forward to Fanime 2012!! :D

BSaphire

I just wanted to throw out that I will list any official gathering that wants to be in the evening so you can have a gathering after 7 pm you just need to check in by 6:30 pm so that we can touch base on any possible changes.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

Quote from: BSaphire on October 19, 2011, 03:26:27 PM
I just wanted to throw out that I will list any official gathering that wants to be in the evening so you can have a gathering after 7 pm you just need to check in by 6:30 pm so that we can touch base on any possible changes.

Squidges
B

Grazie, bella!!  Will keep that in mind then! Not sure if people will want to do it yet (my preference at this time is to try to minimize potential interference with evening activities, esp. since they are usually big events), but if it's an overwhelmingly popular time frame, I'll let you know!!

Dany

Small update:

BSaphire is running an Old School Cosplay Gathering next year at Fanime!

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16564.0.html

The good news: This is a second opportunity for anyone in Matsumoto costumes from series released before December of 2000 to get some photo love. YAAY!  

Two slight pieces of what could be "bad" news:  

1. They are looking at Friday at 6PM for that event, so later than last year, but still Friday.

2. Sadly, costumes from such things as Gun Frontier and Galaxy Railways won't be able to do the Old School event (or Koshika from that matter, which I'm seriously considering putting together..she looks a lot like Maetel with a 70's partial beehive :D).

Thoughts? Ideas? Naked stick figures? :) I do have a thought that I will put out there...if those cosplaying the really old school stuff especially want to do both events, that maybe we pre-meet at the Old School Gather, and then roll the Matsumoto group into its own gather (to accomodate any later series folks) after that.

It's still waaay early in the game, but this is the best time to really get this stuff hammered around, because we're definitely not the only group planning this early :)

capeswirlinggirl

Ack, I've not checked the forums in awhile and will continue to be rather spotty until probably mid January, but I'm very excited to see that there will be two gatherings to wear Emeraldas to in 2012! And that your getting the ball rolling already!

Day/Time:
I actually like the idea of keeping the gathering on Friday, but having it a more in the late afternoon/evening. It seems like it has the potential to conflict with less and having the Old School Cosplay Gathering happening that night as well makes it even better in my opinion. I can be extremely lazy at times and not having to change outfits sounds fabulous! I like your idea of rolling into the Matsumoto gathering from the Old School Gathering unless we have too many from the group who will want/need to change costumes.

Regardless of what ends up being decided, I vote we just eliminate whatever day Masquerade is. The Princess Tutu gathering that I organize is typically held on the Masquerade day making it bad for me as well, but more importantly I would like our organizer to be able to attend the gathering. After all the point is to have as many people as possible, including you!

I thought our location from last year worked very well and that it would be great to hold it there again. My only other thought is that if we end up gathering in the evening it may be fun to wander a little at the very end of the gathering to play with different lighting options...for example if it's dark out by the end of the gathering we could have a lot of fun with those up lights by the convention entrance :D

Dany

Quote from: capeswirlinggirl on November 11, 2011, 06:21:56 PM
Ack, I've not checked the forums in awhile and will continue to be rather spotty until probably mid January, but I'm very excited to see that there will be two gatherings to wear Emeraldas to in 2012! And that your getting the ball rolling already!

Don't worry about being spotty. I figure that until at LEAST the new year, I will not be hearing much from people. But the thread is not moving anywhere so people are welcome to pipe up when they see posts and contribute when they can. :)

QuoteDay/Time:
I actually like the idea of keeping the gathering on Friday, but having it a more in the late afternoon/evening. It seems like it has the potential to conflict with less and having the Old School Cosplay Gathering happening that night as well makes it even better in my opinion. I can be extremely lazy at times and not having to change outfits sounds fabulous! I like your idea of rolling into the Matsumoto gathering from the Old School Gathering unless we have too many from the group who will want/need to change costumes.

Indeed! If Emeraldas didn't require so much makeup, I'd wear her for one and Miime for the other! Or something crazy like that. Sadly, Emeraldas has the facial scar, else I'd just run up, swap wigs and outfits, and go from Emeraldas to Koshika (because I really wanna make Koshika dengit!).

I'll know more as it gets closer, for sure. This is sort of the "fuzzy period" where everyone's headspace is still somewhat tentative, and the Old School Gathering is a relative new item in the mix that I'm as excited about as I am for the Matsumoto stuff.

I do like the idea of the Old School group being adjacent to whatever we might do, because it might bring people in who would recognize who we are on sight, but may not recognize Matsumoto's name on our own gathering unless they are specific fans of his work that know it really well.

QuoteRegardless of what ends up being decided, I vote we just eliminate whatever day Masquerade is. The Princess Tutu gathering that I organize is typically held on the Masquerade day making it bad for me as well, but more importantly I would like our organizer to be able to attend the gathering. After all the point is to have as many people as possible, including you!

And I waaaaaana be involved, dernit :D I want to try to improve on last year, which was sorta rough and tumble XD  But yeah, lots happens on Saturday and Sunday that are bigger/more popular gatherings, not to mention things like masquerade. The more I think of it, the more that later Friday just seems like a good fit. But the doors are by no means closed on the discussion :)

QuoteLocation:
I thought our location from last year worked very well and that it would be great to hold it there again. My only other thought is that if we end up gathering in the evening it may be fun to wander a little at the very end of the gathering to play with different lighting options...for example if it's dark out by the end of the gathering we could have a lot of fun with those up lights by the convention entrance :D

I've wanted to do night shots for D's Harlock for a long while, so that definitely could be fun. Plus, as it gets later in the day, it gets cooler, so people like Tatteredpixie may be a bit more comfortable (assuming that day weather is warm). I don't -think- the Old School Gathering has picked a place -yet-, but I will keep aware of their placement and if our place last year still works out logistically, then by all means we can keep it.

junkeemunky

My gf and I will likely be doing Harlock and Tadashi Daiba from the 1979 Space Pirate Captain Harlock version. We'll try our best to make it!

Dany

Quote from: junkeemunky on January 06, 2012, 09:36:30 PM
My gf and I will likely be doing Harlock and Tadashi Daiba from the 1979 Space Pirate Captain Harlock version. We'll try our best to make it!

Yay! And I saw that you are looking to do the Old School Gathering as well, so bonus! So far I am still seriously entertaining keeping our gather adjacent to this one. The only thing I am wondering is how long to keep our gather with this in mind.  Any thoughts?

DayDreamerNessa

Glad to see the leiji gathering continuing!

I'm going to be re-wearing some costumes to fanime, debating on bringing out Emeraldas.. but I'm unsure at this moment! I need to get my other costumes that are brand new for fanime squared away before i figure out my re-wears ^^

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and see where it goes. I do know Friday is more do-able for me. but since i'm undecided i'll just sit back until I have more confirmed plans :D

++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Dany

Quote from: DayDreamerNessa on January 23, 2012, 09:38:39 AM
Glad to see the leiji gathering continuing!

I'm going to be re-wearing some costumes to fanime, debating on bringing out Emeraldas.. but I'm unsure at this moment! I need to get my other costumes that are brand new for fanime squared away before i figure out my re-wears ^^

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and see where it goes. I do know Friday is more do-able for me. but since i'm undecided i'll just sit back until I have more confirmed plans :D

I know the feeling of balancing out the "old stuff" with the new...I'll be doing a lot of that this year XD It would be great to have you..I know last year was a bit inconvenient!

Hehe..with all of these Emeraldases (Emeraldi? XD) I'm leaning more and more towards Miime! My only concern is my line of sight...I'll need to have my Harlock be my handler XD

Dany

Hey everybody!!!

I just updated the first post with new info, mostly related to the Old School Gathering. I am bringing this here because the vast majority of Matsumoto's works are pre-2000, and since that is the cutoff for that gathering.

So, with the date for Old School in place, we have three choices of how we want to do things for our gathering:

1. We coordinate our gathering completely with the Old School Gathering. This only works if everyone is doing pre-2000 costumes, as that is their cutoff for characters.

2. We split up time between the Old School Gathering and a separate gathering for all Matsumoto characters right after the Old School Gathering, likely at 7PM. This accomodates both the pre-2K costumes and post-2K costumes, and allows the pre 2K costumes to utilize another photo op.

3. We hold a totally independent gathering time.

My personal favorite is #2 -unless- we're all eligible for the Old School Gathering. However, I want to hear what YOU think first before I go and make any crazy decisions on this. Please reply and let me know what you think and let's get a conversation going!!

tatterpixie

I agree, option 2 sounds like the best one to me, followed by option 1 if there aren't any post-2000 outfits in our group. ^_^
Fanime 2013 cosplay plans:
Tochiro Oyama (Captain Harlock)
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Dany

Quote from: tatterpixie on February 03, 2012, 02:14:25 PM
I agree, option 2 sounds like the best one to me, followed by option 1 if there aren't any post-2000 outfits in our group. ^_^

Yeah, that's the key thing, right there. And I'll put it out there: If you have a post-2000 costume you want to wear, don't be afraid to still wear it just because the thought of combining with the Old School gathering is being bantered about. As I said, option 1 is only an option if all of us happen to have pre-2k costumes. Even one post 2K costume will default me to option 2 (and we had one last year).  At worst, I may make the Matsumoto-only section a 45 minute gathering instead of an hour, unless demand is unusually high on the photographer end.