Place-holding?

Started by kookiekween99, May 14, 2011, 03:25:38 PM

kookiekween99

How do the registration staff feel about place-holding? IE: My mom, who is group leader, is standing in line, but she has to go to the bathroom, so I switch with her while she goes, then switch back when she gets back so I can go chill in the hotel room while I wait for her to get our badges. Would staff be upset because they thought I was trying to cut? Would they make my mom go all the way to the back of the line just because she couldn't hold her bladder for ten more minutes?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Moonblossom

Considering the lineup wait can be several hours long, it's pretty much expected that people will go in groups and take turns waiting so they can go pee, grab a bite to eat, sneak out for a cigarette, etc.

PinkHairSasuke

Alot of people switch out with people they brought with them. I do that and everyone understands that you're not cutting.

SukebeStudios

I'm going with 2 others to get our badges. Just to make it easier on myself, I'm bringing a fold out chair to sit on for us. Little ones. Also, my ipod and laptop. You never know, lol.

Rin_chan

I'm sure if any other people DID get upset and accuse you of cutting you could easily explain the situation and they would calm down. It happened to us last year, I held the spot for my friend (who was the group leader) while she had to run over to the marriott and help our group check in, and one person was peeved about it, but got over it when I explained we weren't trying to cut infront of them. I really don't think most people would have a problem with it, but there's jerks everywhere.

Xanreo

That wouldn't be cutting seeing as how the line query number doesn't change; I wouldn't mind that.
'Saving spots' for a group of individuals is what pisses people off and should not be allowed.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Mango Bunny

I don't think it matters. If you're there for 3 hours nobody expects you to hold it that long.

What's bummer is when you're almooooost there and then like 10 people stop and go "OH HEY. So glad we found you, dude." and join the party in front of you. I'll say though, I've joined friends when I saw them in line. Less for the cuts and more for the friends. It was no where near the front though.

Aelia

So, I'm gonna chime in as a Rover-- the people who do line control-- to sort of explain how we enforce "cutting" and deal with "place holding." We know people are gonna need bathrooms or snacks or whatever, and we try to be fair about our lines.

- If someone needs to leave the line (for any reason) they need to make sure that the people (not from their group*) in front of them, and behind them know that they were there. If they are spotted "cutting," (getting back into line in this case) they'll be called out. If the people (who are not from your group*) recognize that you were there, then you'll be allowed to take your spot back. If they don't, we're gonna send you to the back of the line.

- If there is a group of you, (say, six people) more people should be in line than have left. What this means is that if four people leave the line and have two people holding their place (or even just one) it's probably not going to fly.

- If you are in line, and you notice people being jerks and cutting, grab a Rover (the people with the headsets & armbands) and point it out. We're there to help.
_________
* They can't be your friends, because your friends would likely cover for you. They should be strangers.
Director of Operations