Blood drive? HECK YEAH BLOOD DRIVE.

Started by Mango Bunny, May 16, 2011, 01:37:49 AM

Mango Bunny

You know what would have been cool? Some way to incorporate blood type/personality stuff. Even if they just had a card to give you, or something of the sort. I already know my bloodtype, and could easily look up my 'personality', but it just would have been cute, imo. Something for people to look at while waiting and whatnot. I know you get the type results by mail, but still.

I'm B+ btw. In case anyone needs some blood or something.

HunterZero

If you donate with the Stanford Blood Center they will send you a card in the mail with your ID number and blood type.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Kaycea

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 16, 2011, 09:32:14 AM
I don't meet the weight requirements to donate, but to everyone who does and is willing:

Be sure to hydrate well, eat something more substatial than Pocky and instant ramen, and get some sleep! Don't eat nothing but Pocky, stay up all night, and then try to donate blood. (...and then don't try to stay up all night that night, either, or run around like crazy afterwards...)

Take care of yourselves out there! :D

Lol it's almost like you were(unintentionally) referring to me>,>. I'll definitely not repeat my "fueled by Ramen" eating binge that I usually have. But I can't promise I wont stay up all nite and run around like crazy...I can't help it, it's in my nature 8)
My daily mantra is L.I.F.E.= Losing.Is.Failing.Excellently.
So it's not that I didn't win...I just choose not to succeed.
Cosplays I've done:
Everyday of my life-Me
Fanime 08'-Dosu Kinuta
Fanime 11'-Kuro Shinobi no Mono
Sacanime 11'-(Same)+Kuroneko

Runewitt

I'd love to donate, if it werent for the fact that i cant stand the needles and as soon as i heard about it, i got strange pains in my elbows..
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Tsu

Quote from: Antstep on May 16, 2011, 03:31:03 PM
I honestly would but the sight of just a drop of blood makes me light headed so I think giving blood would make me faint.  :-[

"You got blood on my suit." (Your avatar) Yeah, I had to go there.... XD

I might donate. Haven't before and want to. I just need the schedule to go up to make sure it doesn't conflict with the FMVs. (If that sounds selfish, I'll be donating outside of the con if I can't do it at the con.)

Hey, should folks take bigger precautions against overheating after donating? Like, can you be more susceptible to heat stroke?

Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Persona

If anything I'd say it's a lot harder for you to get warm after donating (loss of blood), although you will be dehydrated. They suggest not exercising/exerting yourself for 24 hours after you donate, and they make you stay for 15 minutes after and give you water/juice, so chances of heat stroke are slim.

ETA: That said, if you're bigger like me (5'5" and 165 lbs), donating a pint of blood may have no visible effect on you. The first time I ever donated I had to go to a company retreat right after and felt perfectly fine. Just remember to drink lots of water before and after.

Touya no Miko

Ugh, I just came back from the blood bank today. If you have small veins like I do, drawing blood is not a fun experience. I had to get stuck in both arms since the usual good vein in my left was sluggishly flowing out blood. It took almost an hour to fill the whole bag. D:

It helps if you tell them this before hand so they can use a smaller needle on you. Blah, never again. >_<

BTW, when exactly is the scheduling for the blood bank?
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

M

Quote from: Touya no Miko on May 18, 2011, 09:53:16 PM
Ugh, I just came back from the blood bank today. If you have small veins like I do, drawing blood is not a fun experience. I had to get stuck in both arms since the usual good vein in my left was sluggishly flowing out blood. It took almost an hour to fill the whole bag. D:

It helps if you tell them this before hand so they can use a smaller needle on you. Blah, never again. >_<

BTW, when exactly is the scheduling for the blood bank?

Not sure what you mean for "scheduling" but it's from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. http://www.fanime.com/2011/05/15/fanimecon-blood-drive

Also, you can always ask for a smaller needle. I have some friends that try to get the smallest needle because they have a fear of needles.

Also, remember: Don't give blood if you are unable to for one reason (already donated) or another (don't like needles, want to keep your blood, you'd rather drink blood than donate :P). We're definitely not forcing *anyone* to give blood and this is a 100% voluntary donation.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Moonblossom

I'm not sure if they can do this for blood donor clinics, but when I have to go for blood tests I ask for a butterfly valve to be put in my forearm, rather than a regular needle in my elbow. My veins are very prone to collapse, and this method is less painful and less likely to cause me problems. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Kertus

I'm surprised so many other con-goers donate at Stanford Blood Centers, I'd donate at con, but I do platelets + plasma and con is just whole blood :P
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC