Fanimecon '12 Musicfest, What band would you suggest?

Started by kaizoku, May 16, 2011, 02:18:17 AM

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Acid_Android on June 02, 2011, 10:34:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'd like to ask that the suggestions stick to "WANTS" rather than "DO NOT WANT"s. Quite honestly, that's a lot more helpful for us staff, and also, it keeps things a bit more polite since label reps DO check the forums every now and then.

As a side note:
With how wonderful FLOW has been to attendees and staff these past two years, saying that you don't want them back is slightly rude to them =/

Well, nix the parts about their music not being my taste.

I do actually think they're talented. I do.

But honestly, I used to look forward to the variety of guests we'd get. I have to say, for me, having a band be a guest again and again and again is crummy for me. Especially with the merged concerts, where I couldn't figure out accurate info about who was performing when.

Let me put it this way.

I loved AnCafe. It was a fun concert. If AnCafe was back EVERY SINGLE YEAR I'd probably go once or twice, then you know what? I've seen their performance. It's a long line to wait in.

I appreciate FLOW's participation, because I know so many people had a lot of fun. This is just my personal opinion. I don't like seeing the same person headline over and over again, and that would apply to almost everyone. (ALMOST.)

And the only reason I brought it up is because everyone else is saying "Let's do FLOW again, for the third year" and I really do want to go to Musicfest again. =/

Also, something I love about Fanime is seeing who is showing up! I love seeing our regular guests, but with big events like Musicfest... I think it's really exciting when those are announced. My first thought is "YAYYYYY MUSICFEST"

Or maybe if we're doing FLOW again have three acts? That would be kind of epic. Especially if we featured different styles of music or something.

jemz

Quote from: Mango Bunny on June 02, 2011, 11:24:01 PM

But honestly, I used to look forward to the variety of guests we'd get. I have to say, for me, having a band be a guest again and again and again is crummy for me. Especially with the merged concerts, where I couldn't figure out accurate info about who was performing when.

Let me put it this way.

I loved AnCafe. It was a fun concert. If AnCafe was back EVERY SINGLE YEAR I'd probably go once or twice, then you know what? I've seen their performance. It's a long line to wait in.

I appreciate FLOW's participation, because I know so many people had a lot of fun. This is just my personal opinion. I don't like seeing the same person headline over and over again, and that would apply to almost everyone. (ALMOST.)

And the only reason I brought it up is because everyone else is saying "Let's do FLOW again, for the third year" and I really do want to go to Musicfest again. =/

Also, something I love about Fanime is seeing who is showing up! I love seeing our regular guests, but with big events like Musicfest... I think it's really exciting when those are announced. My first thought is "YAYYYYY MUSICFEST"

Or maybe if we're doing FLOW again have three acts? That would be kind of epic. Especially if we featured different styles of music or something.

I think that people requesting for certain bands to return for whatever number of times is valid. It's equally valid as those who request huge name musicians who are currently on hiatus/just too big for our budget or musicians who tour the United States constantly.  It's okay to request because MF wants to hear your voice!

I believe that we have been trying our best to vary the styles that MusicFest has showcased over the past few years that I've taken over Extravaganzas.

You've mentioned that you want variety in our musical guests. I think this year MF has done extremely well in giving more variety over the past years with Matsushita Yuya (whose style is smooth R&B/Pop) and FLOW (Pop/Rock). They have two very different styles of music and gave us a fantastic concert this past Saturday.  Last year, we had FLOW and LM.C (Visual Kei). The previous year to that, we had Halko Momoi (Akiba-kei). We also had An Cafe (oshare kei) with Ramen & Rice opening up for them.

So we're definitely trying to break out of the mold of just one specific genre and we've been unsuccessful at bringing a female group. We've had a few who wanted to come but they had to pull out due to scheduling.

As for the bigger, "showy" JPop names, that takes us a lot of time (years!) to build a relationship with their label and a LOT of money. But we're working on it.

We do hear your voice for (or against) them but please understand that MF is doing all they can to make some of your wishes come true.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Pengin-san

Quote from: jemz on June 03, 2011, 09:44:32 AM

As for the bigger, "showy" JPop names, that takes us a lot of time (years!) to build a relationship with their label and a LOT of money. But we're working on it.

We do hear your voice for (or against) them but please understand that MF is doing all they can to make some of your wishes come true.

So THAT'S how it works. I was always wondering how MF was able to get such huge artists.  I know it's not a simple matter of going door-to-door asking companies. 

This is pretty impossible, but I really do want to see T.M.Revolution/Abingdon Boys School ;____;.  I'm an absolutely huge fan, and would go bonkers if he came.  Then again, if he did come, I would probably wait in line all day just to be first.  Nevertheless, that would be amazing.  And of course, I wouldn't mind seeing FLOW again.
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

virilevocalist

Do As Infinity. They've made con appearances in Texas and played two shows in NY. They've gotta make a west coast appearance!!!
Previous FanimeCons attended:
'01, '02, '03, '04, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '19, ('20, I guess)

Mango Bunny

Quote from: Mango Bunny on June 02, 2011, 11:24:01 PM

Let me put it this way.

I think that people requesting for certain bands to return for whatever number of times is valid. It's equally valid as those who request huge name musicians who are currently on hiatus/just too big for our budget or musicians who tour the United States constantly.  It's okay to request because MF wants to hear your voice!

I believe that we have been trying our best to vary the styles that MusicFest has showcased over the past few years that I've taken over Extravaganzas.

You've mentioned that you want variety in our musical guests. I think this year MF has done extremely well in giving more variety over the past years with Matsushita Yuya (whose style is smooth R&B/Pop) and FLOW (Pop/Rock). They have two very different styles of music and gave us a fantastic concert this past Saturday.  Last year, we had FLOW and LM.C (Visual Kei). The previous year to that, we had Halko Momoi (Akiba-kei). We also had An Cafe (oshare kei) with Ramen & Rice opening up for them.

So we're definitely trying to break out of the mold of just one specific genre and we've been unsuccessful at bringing a female group. We've had a few who wanted to come but they had to pull out due to scheduling.

I'm not saying you're doing a bad job. =) You've gotten some really big names these past few years. Musicfest has become insanely popular.

I may have just been unlucky, because I know people LIKE these bands. I just happen to not like the styles since.... well, Momoi. I like some of the genres, just not the specific sounds from the bands.

I was actually going to go to LM.C, but I left my camera in my bag and didn't want to go all the way back up to my high-floored hotel room and back. Argh. I got to the door before realizing it too.

Anyhow, it's hard for me to make suggestions in this topic that make sense, because my music taste is erratic. I might like bands 1 2 and 4, but 3, which is almost the same to most people, I hate. Or the opposite. I'm really picky about songs/bands/ etc.

What will get me around usually (even if the music isn't my FAVORITE) is a band that is either fairly serious, or really kooky. When someone is serious I can be like "Yeah. Seriously." but when they're kind of off the wall I can be like "You're reeeeeally odd. But that's kind of intriguing."

Fluffy pop is actually, mostly fun to me. There's been plenty of bad Jpop where I was like "I know this isn't even good, but gosh it's cute/fun!" (like all those bands that were formed by companies and

TLDR;

Frivolous Jpop?

Good job, MusicFest!

yumicchi88

This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

keiko.

Quote from: Pengin-san on June 03, 2011, 09:49:43 AM

So THAT'S how it works. I was always wondering how MF was able to get such huge artists.  I know it's not a simple matter of going door-to-door asking companies. 

This is pretty impossible, but I really do want to see T.M.Revolution/Abingdon Boys School ;____;.  I'm an absolutely huge fan, and would go bonkers if he came.  Then again, if he did come, I would probably wait in line all day just to be first.  Nevertheless, that would be amazing.  And of course, I wouldn't mind seeing FLOW again.

YES. AGREE. rawr!

I'm still kicking myself after all these years for missing Nami Tamaki!!! I've been a huge fan of hers since 2003, but somehow didn't know she appeared at Fanime until 2009! *yeah, how the hell does THAT work, right??*

Anyways, here's my list:

T.M.Revolution
Nami Tamaki
Gazette
FLOW *they're too good not to come again lol!*

My boyfriend just introduced me to this new FEMALE ROCK BAND, Aldious. I think these women are incredible and could totally pull off an amazing show *___*

Of course, my number one and probably impossible request: OKUI MASAMI. She's my idol and absolute dream concert... just needed to express that, even though I know (well, thanks to Yoshiki, I can't say IMPOSSIBLE! haha!) it would be "extremely difficult" for Fanime to get her, but just imagine...... <3

ORANGE RANGE

@Amanojaku OH! I just scrolled down and saw you put ALDIOUS too! <3 YESSSS BRING THESE CHICKS OVER THEY'RE AMAZING!! I don't think we'd be getting X JAPAN (can you imagine the lines for Music Fest?!), but these girls are so incredibly talented!!!

I would love to see Yuya Matsushita again too! Now that I've had the chance to hear his music, I want to see him again :D I think a lot of people can agree, he's a real showman!

cottoncandymuffin

X Japan is a bit of a stretch to get over here, but they did say they'd have another North American tour after their worldwide tour starting this summer. Cross our fingers and hope they can make Fanime one of their stops ;)

themalletofjustice

Momoko

Quote from: eHash on May 31, 2011, 03:26:26 PM
My own suggest for Musicfest (which is what this thread is about) is: morning musume

YESS! They were awesome at AX and I would love to see them again and Fanime is way closer! My best friend would die *U* She's not into anime that much but SHE LOVES MM!

I would love it if AKB48 could come to Fanime as well! <3 I missed out when they went to AX last year D;

Quote from: KyraEnsui on June 02, 2011, 11:51:32 AM
Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 19, 2011, 02:36:44 PM

And I'll also suggest Arashi. Hey, nobody's mentioned in the thread that it had to be possible. :B

Good suggestion on Arashi, but bringing them here requires more funds that Fanime needs AND security due to their popularity. Not even the SJ convention center is big enough to hold a very huge crowd given the fact how much they can bring to their concert alone.

I would like to see Yuya Matsushita to come back again. His performances was great!

OMG I would DIE if Arashi could come D; It's my dream! But their concerts are huge lol

.::midnight.maiden::.

Does Fanime/MF have a good relationship with Sony Japan? Considering Nami Tamaki, An Cafe, FLOW, and Yuya are Sony's...TROLOLOL

I'll ask for SCANDAL, the Gazette, and YUI as well then :D
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

Salty Pearl

Hatsune Miku live would be interesting to see, even if
it's not "natural" it's still cool to see the new 3d technology for the vocaloid concerts --

--- I'd suggest Dir en Grey too, but ... I'm not sure if the small concert hall
would be able to handle that ... ;_;

livi-chan

Cosplay for Fanime 2012

Anya Alstreim - Code Geass
Cinque - Final Fantasy Agito(Type-0)
Sayaka Miki- Mahou Shoujo Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Allen Walker -maybe- D.gray-man
Milla Maxwell- Tales of Xillia

captainvontapdat

LET'S BRING IN SOME K-POP! It was really popular this year considering the number of people who attended the K-Pop panels and it would be nice to have something different for a change.

Salty Pearl

Quote from: thatonepuppetpal on June 21, 2011, 06:50:47 PM
LET'S BRING IN SOME K-POP! It was really popular this year considering the number of people who attended the K-Pop panels and it would be nice to have something different for a change.

But think about it, Fanime is, overall, for Japanese appreciation
-- shouldn't we just stick with Japanese artists ?

ayumii

W-inds
FLOW
Matsushita Yuya

:D

captainvontapdat

Quote from: torikkusuta* on June 21, 2011, 07:29:24 PM

Well, some K-Pop groups also participate in the J-Pop scene. Some groups like 2PM, Brown Eyed Girls, and I think SHINee have a few songs in Japanese.

Acid_Android

Quote from: thatonepuppetpal on June 22, 2011, 10:18:45 PM

Well, some K-Pop groups also participate in the J-Pop scene. Some groups like 2PM, Brown Eyed Girls, and I think SHINee have a few songs in Japanese.

We take suggestions of all kinds, as long as the artists are relevant =P The cavaet is, how do we measure relevancy?

For example, SHINee just sold 50K+ units of their JP debut single release yesterday, and another 18K+ today, just behind AKB48's Maeda Atsuko. But since this is a debut, and they haven't been in the scene long enough yet, who's to say how long they'll be in the scene? And KARA...they were doing spendidly on the charts for a bit before they had their own little internal drama going on that had folks questioning if they were going to stick together or not. It's a constantly changing scene, so I'd rather encourage suggestions than discourage them. MusicFest has to predict a year in advance as to who will do well for the next year, so we don't set up hard rules for who won't be considered =P (unless it's someone who really doesn't make sense...like Chris Brown or something, lol)

In short (LOL), everybody is free to say who they want, but through research/knowledge/common sense, MusicFest will filter through the suggestions to decide who makes the best fit.

MusicFest Manager 2009-Present
2008 MusicFest Guest Handler
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

Salty Pearl

Quote from: Acid_Android on June 23, 2011, 10:02:24 AM
Quote from: thatonepuppetpal on June 22, 2011, 10:18:45 PM

We take suggestions of all kinds, as long as the artists are relevant =P The cavaet is, how do we measure relevancy?

For example, SHINee just sold 50K+ units of their JP debut single release yesterday, and another 18K+ today, just behind AKB48's Maeda Atsuko. But since this is a debut, and they haven't been in the scene long enough yet, who's to say how long they'll be in the scene? And KARA...they were doing spendidly on the charts for a bit before they had their own little internal drama going on that had folks questioning if they were going to stick together or not. It's a constantly changing scene, so I'd rather encourage suggestions than discourage them. MusicFest has to predict a year in advance as to who will do well for the next year, so we don't set up hard rules for who won't be considered =P (unless it's someone who really doesn't make sense...like Chris Brown or something, lol)

In short (LOL), everybody is free to say who they want, but through research/knowledge/common sense, MusicFest will filter through the suggestions to decide who makes the best fit.

Alright, that's all fair. 
I supposed the Asian relevancy is the only key factor.
I suppose I was speaking from a slightly bias stance since I don't favor K-pop,
but there are some good artists out there no matter where they're from, right?   :-0