Guests I Want for Fanimecon 2012!!!!!!!

Started by Nina Star 9, May 17, 2011, 10:53:01 AM

Mantaray3000

Quote from: cutiebunny on July 06, 2011, 07:25:27 PM
I do not want to see any US dub guests.  If I had a choice between a Japanese guest and a US guest, I'd want the Japanese guest, even if they've already been to Fanime in the past.  I'd rather have Mamoru Yokota again than, say, Vic Mignogna.  And, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

You're right cutiebunny you're not the only one who feels that way. But if fanime ever do get US guests, then I want those who have either never been to or rarely ever go to conventions. Nothing against guests who regularly go to cons.

cutiebunny

The core audience of US dubs would go to a convention anyways, regardless of having a US guest or not.  Dub audiences tend to be tweens/teens, and they'll go to a convention to hang out with friends, watch anime and spend some cash in the dealer's room.  Fanime doesn't need to invite US guests because those that would flock to them would go to the convention anyways.

The older audience, and what typically are your raw/sub fans, are far more critical.  If you want to draw them and their pocketbooks, you need to have things that they'll enjoy and that includes having Japanese guests.  I think part of the reason many of the older fans showed up this year was simply because Fanime lined up so many *good* Japanese guests.  Several of these fans commented that it had been years since they had attended Fanime and many of them were there because Yoshimatsu & Iida were guests.  Comparatively, the prices of items at the charity auctions also went much higher when compared to the previous year because Fanime had succeeded in drawing out an older and less cash strapped fanbase.

I've never worked at a convention, and I'm sure there's a delicate method in which a convention chooses guests to invite.  But as money is a factor, I would be willing to bet that Fanime will continue to favor Japanese guests over US guests as long as its patrons are willing to pay $$$ to see them.

teeheeitshelen

Quote from: cutiebunny on July 06, 2011, 07:25:27 PM
I do not want to see any US dub guests.  If I had a choice between a Japanese guest and a US guest, I'd want the Japanese guest, even if they've already been to Fanime in the past.  I'd rather have Mamoru Yokota again than, say, Vic Mignogna.  And, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Hmm... you're right .
Your speech is fascinating, cutiebunny (: Well done .
This year cosplay:
Mafia!Vietnam - APH (Fanime)
Shizuko Heiwajima - DRRR! (Fanime and maybe AOD)
Ah, Its a Wonderful Cat GUMI - VOCALOID (Fanime)

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: cutiebunny on July 07, 2011, 06:00:51 PM
The core audience of US dubs would go to a convention anyways, regardless of having a US guest or not.  Dub audiences tend to be tweens/teens, and they'll go to a convention to hang out with friends, watch anime and spend some cash in the dealer's room.  Fanime doesn't need to invite US guests because those that would flock to them would go to the convention anyways.

The older audience, and what typically are your raw/sub fans, are far more critical.  If you want to draw them and their pocketbooks, you need to have things that they'll enjoy and that includes having Japanese guests.  I think part of the reason many of the older fans showed up this year was simply because Fanime lined up so many *good* Japanese guests.  Several of these fans commented that it had been years since they had attended Fanime and many of them were there because Yoshimatsu & Iida were guests.  Comparatively, the prices of items at the charity auctions also went much higher when compared to the previous year because Fanime had succeeded in drawing out an older and less cash strapped fanbase.

I've never worked at a convention, and I'm sure there's a delicate method in which a convention chooses guests to invite.  But as money is a factor, I would be willing to bet that Fanime will continue to favor Japanese guests over US guests as long as its patrons are willing to pay $$$ to see them.

I....I don't even know where to even start on this *shakes head

PyronIkari

Quote from: cutiebunny on July 07, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

Bahamut Knight Zero: Way to contribute absolutely nothing. Realistically CutieBunny... is... half right.

In terms of monetary reasoning, pulling a JP guest is more likely to draw more people than a US guest would. But, would the price of brining a US guest directly coorolate with how many attendees would come for that guest?

Arbitrary number... 6k to bring a guest to fanime. 45$ badges. Raw numbers, that gues would have to draw 134 people to the convention that absolutely would not have come had it not been for that guest. Of course raw costs aren't correct because there's lots of other stuff involved, but you get the idea. Now comparatively... a US guest would be a fraction of that cost... let's say 1000$. 22 attendees.

So the whole US guests are better or JP guests are better for the con is really a dumb argument as it's pretty near impossible to gauge. There's no way to know just how many guest came solely for X guest or Y guest. Maybe it was a combination of the two?

None of this matters at all(though I love number arguments). What it comes down to is the process of choosing guest is actually really long and complicated and has no real basis that is followed. GR and stuff don't sit there and go "If we bring X guest, we will make X% more attendees theorhetically than y guest nor will bringing Z guest result in in making more in this way. It comes down to. "We have this much for our budget... who can we get that is available that we think will be popular, will have a good time, and will enjoy the convention and be fun to have.

I.E. while Momoi isn't the most attendee drawing guest, she LOVES the con, she interacts with attendees, she walks the halls and takes pictures of cosplayers, with people. FLOW was playing Air Hockey with people, talking to fans, and just messing around and having a good time a lot of the con. Now compare that with AX where, they had the SOS-dan. Sure... they probably drew a huge group of attendees... but their visit consisted of a really badly done panel, an autograph signing that ended in thousands of people getting pissed off for waiting in line over 10 hours to walk away with nothing, and a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE 40 min concert that was more advertising for Bang Zoon than a concert. Outside of those things, the guests were never seen at all.

Which would you prefer?

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

TheAsianDude

Any popular seiyuu such as Shizuka Itou, Kana Hanazawa, Kanae Itou, Rie Tanaka, or Chiwa Saito would be wonderful for Guests of Honor for Fanime 2012.  :)

catherine

Fanime should get some U.S. actors as their guests. people like J. Michael Tatum, Vic Migongna, Travis Willingham, and Chris Ayres.

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: Rhornez on May 18, 2011, 06:20:38 PM
Dir En Grey as a Music Fest Guest.
Yes Yes Yes, one of the very few musicians I actually know. I really need to pay more attention to our musical guests.

Metsu golden

Nostalgia Critic, Marzgurl, The Spoony one, Benzaie, Filmbrain, Nostalgia Chick, Cinema Snob all found on thatguywiththeglasses.com there awesome.

AdriMaybe

Quote from: Sapphire on June 01, 2011, 05:50:10 PM
UVERworld at Fanime would be awesome.

Also bring Yuyu Matsushita back because that was amazing. And if FLOW can come again would be just as awesome.

And if T.M.Revolution can come to Fanime I would be SO excited for that. You have no idea. That's like my childhood of anime there with heart of sword from kenshin. <3

I second that! Bring Yuya back!  ;D

AdriMaybe

Quote from: teeheeitshelen on June 25, 2011, 03:19:20 PM
Quote from: SukebeStudios on June 25, 2011, 12:29:38 AM
Quote from: teeheeitshelen on June 24, 2011, 02:57:06 PM
Okay . Well, I do agree with SukebeStudios about requesting Vic Mignogna to Fanime 2012 :)
Oh by the way, you haven't request Todd Haberkorn and Micah Solusod  :o Before you request them to go to Fanime next year, I think I should talk to them if they are booked in May .__.

What about the FMA "Trifecta of DOOM?" Vic Mignogna, Travis Willingham, and Laura Bailey? Or maybe just voice actors from Ouran High School Host Club? Like Caitlin Glass or Greg Ayres or Todd Haberkorn?

Well let's see here... Todd Haberkorn replied to my wallpost and he said "Not completely!" However, I didn't contact with Caitlin and Greg to be request to go to Fanime . If you do me a favor if you can try to contact Greg or Caitlin ? Kbaai . You would be planning for Hetalia or Soul Eater panel for next year, right ?

I second Todd Haberkorn...haha  :)

AdriMaybe

Hmm.. Everyone has nice suggestions :) These are the guests that I would like to see:

Kazue Kato (Blue Exorcist creator)

Yana Toboso (Kuroshitsuji creator)

Kamiya Hiroshi (VA for Mephisto from Blue Exorcist)

Watanabe Akeno or Okamoto Nobuhiko (VA's for Rin Okumura)

Ono Daisuke (VA for Shizuo Heiwajima)

Hayao Miyazaki

Todd Haberkorn

Jason Liebrecht

J. Michael Tatum

bahamutknightzero

I know this is probably a VERY unlikely guest request but what about Shinya Arino (Gamecenter CX)?

Rhornez

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

teeheeitshelen

Quote from: AdriMaybe on September 07, 2011, 05:57:28 PM
Quote from: teeheeitshelen on June 25, 2011, 03:19:20 PM
Quote from: SukebeStudios on June 25, 2011, 12:29:38 AM
Quote from: teeheeitshelen on June 24, 2011, 02:57:06 PM
Okay . Well, I do agree with SukebeStudios about requesting Vic Mignogna to Fanime 2012 :)
Oh by the way, you haven't request Todd Haberkorn and Micah Solusod  :o Before you request them to go to Fanime next year, I think I should talk to them if they are booked in May .__.

What about the FMA "Trifecta of DOOM?" Vic Mignogna, Travis Willingham, and Laura Bailey? Or maybe just voice actors from Ouran High School Host Club? Like Caitlin Glass or Greg Ayres or Todd Haberkorn?

Well let's see here... Todd Haberkorn replied to my wallpost and he said "Not completely!" However, I didn't contact with Caitlin and Greg to be request to go to Fanime . If you do me a favor if you can try to contact Greg or Caitlin ? Kbaai . You would be planning for Hetalia or Soul Eater panel for next year, right ?

I second Todd Haberkorn...haha  :)

Well.. Todd must come since he haven't gone to Fanime for once... o__o
This year cosplay:
Mafia!Vietnam - APH (Fanime)
Shizuko Heiwajima - DRRR! (Fanime and maybe AOD)
Ah, Its a Wonderful Cat GUMI - VOCALOID (Fanime)

Freeden

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn <3<3<3 Would love to see her again.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Freeden on September 13, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn <3<3<3 Would love to see her again.
She's really sweet and gracious. <3 I had a great time meeting her and Richard Epcar at Kintoki-con this year.

NealBomBad

Masamune Shirow - He is legendary and my idol growing up ;D