Paid For Pre Reg, But Forced To Accept Early Reg

Started by SukebeStudios, May 26, 2011, 10:04:57 PM

SukebeStudios

If you Pre-Regged, pray they actually HAVE your badge and/or are willing to do their job. I had paid for a Pre-Reg badge but they said they were having trouble finding mine. They had my name in the system as well. And apparently they didn't really care to look for my laminated badge, so they made me get a normal Early-Reg badge instead, which was NOT what I paid for. I was just so tired and wanted to go home so bad I just put up with it. But yeah...hope that the Reg people are willing to do their job because there's no guarantee. Next year I'll just get Early-Reg, since paying for Pre-Reg didn't do me any good.

Did anyone else have badge pickup issues?

Himeno

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 10:04:57 PMDid anyone else have badge pickup issues?
Yes. They tried to refuse giving me my badge until I made them actually read the note that was under my entry in the database. I have some other issues, but that is more the fault of my boss and not Fanime.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 10:04:57 PM
But yeah...hope that the Reg people are willing to do their job because there's no guarantee.
You should know that we manually print out thousands (yes, thousands) of badges. Thursday is also one of the most busiest days for Fanime Registration- I'm sure if you come back at a later time when there is not a line, pre-reg staff will try and look through the piles of badges to attempt to find yours if you ask nicely enough and explain your situation (though I am not sure of your specific situation and cannot guarantee anything as such).

I hear that Registration closed today at 9:30pm which is an hour and a half over the actual closing time. Keep in mind that we are not required to do this; we could just as well close Registration at 8pm. Thursday is also when we have the least amount of staff working so you can just imagine staff coming in at 4:30pm and staying until 9:30pm with a constant demand of people wanting to pick up their badges. Trust me, it is VERY tiring.

Again, staff are volunteers and try our best. If you want to help out and make Registration happier... Join staff! (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

SukebeStudios

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on May 26, 2011, 11:00:44 PM
Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 10:04:57 PM
But yeah...hope that the Reg people are willing to do their job because there's no guarantee.
You should know that we manually print out thousands (yes, thousands) of badges. Thursday is also one of the most busiest days for Fanime Registration- I'm sure if you come back at a later time when there is not a line, pre-reg staff will try and look through the piles of badges to attempt to find yours if you ask nicely enough and explain your situation (though I am not sure of your specific situation).

I hear that Registration closed today at 9:30pm which is an hour and a half over the actual closing time. Keep in mind that we are not required to do this; we could just as well close Registration at 8pm. Thursday is also when we have the least amount of staff working so you can just imagine staff coming in at 4:30pm and staying until 9:30pm with a constant demand of people wanting to pick up their badges. Trust me, it is VERY tiring.

I suppose I was just annoyed by the attitude. And I'm not sure if fatigue can be the main reason, because we were fortunate enough to be near the front of the line and got to the Reg desk within a 1/2 hour of them opening @5pm.

The situation was simple. I had my "e-postcard" thing, with being the leader of a group of 3 badges, mine (pre), and two others (early). I also had my ID with me as well. They checked my receipt and checked my ID and found my Reg account in the system. They started to look for my badge, but said "they were having trouble finding it." But after a minute or two of searching, I was told to go over to the Early Reg table and have my badge printed out there. I know this wasn't intentional, but if something like this can happen, I wonder if I would be better off just doing Early Reg next year. Wouldn't having everyone get a printed badge just avoid the confusion?

QuoteAgain, staff are volunteers and try our best. If you want to help out and make Registration happier... Join staff! (:
I'm considering joining staff next year, even if only just part-time. Out of curiosity, does Fanime hire, or offer volunteer security for Guests? I mean...ya can't trust fangirls/boys around some of the more popular guest, can ya?

SOawesomeness

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 11:20:02 PM
I suppose I was just annoyed by the attitude. And I'm not sure if fatigue can be the main reason, because we were fortunate enough to be near the front of the line and got to the Reg desk within a 1/2 hour of them opening @5pm.

The situation was simple. I had my "e-postcard" thing, with being the leader of a group of 3 badges, mine (pre), and two others (early). I also had my ID with me as well. They checked my receipt and checked my ID and found my Reg account in the system. They started to look for my badge, but said "they were having trouble finding it." But after a minute or two of searching, I was told to go over to the Early Reg table and have my badge printed out there. I know this wasn't intentional, but if something like this can happen, I wonder if I would be better off just doing Early Reg next year. Wouldn't having everyone get a printed badge just avoid the confusion?

I'm considering joining staff next year, even if only just part-time. Out of curiosity, does Fanime hire, or offer volunteer security for Guests? I mean...ya can't trust fangirls/boys around some of the more popular guest, can ya?
I'm sure knowing the sheer number of people waiting in line was very daunting and put pressure to move as quickly as possible. It can happen to anyone, especially since the line (I hear) was amazingly long this year. o.o

If you would like to do early-reg, you can... but then you'd miss out on the awesome laminated badge and early bird discount! (: And I know a majority of attendees really do enjoy having a laminated badge. And trust me, it gets really confusing and hectic at the printing part of At-Con. If anything, it is at least, if not more, hectic than At/Pre-Reg stations during Rush. I did it before during the Rush time and seriously, it's super hectic. It's amazing how crazy those staffers work. o.o It's really impressive.

I don't exactly know about security. :x
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

SukebeStudios

Well...it's possible even though I paid for pre reg I might have "missed out" on it anyways, lol. My main goal was to explain my situation, and ask if anyone else had issues with Reg, so that certain issues, (if fixable) can be addressed.

thebrain2u

Just wanted to say a few things since I actually helped out in Pre-reg pickup today.

Things were definitely a little out of hand today but if a staffer was rude to you, you definitely need to let a Lead or Department head know. We're all volunteers and fans, too, so treating everyone with respect should have been the norm. Thursday is the where we are most understaffed and long lines/pressure builds, but we all need to stay cool, be they staff or fans.

I think I remember your situation (1 pre-reg and 2 early) and trust me when I say that we had about 5 staffers hunting down your badge with no luck. If we gave you the impression that we weren't trying, I apologize for that. The staffer assisting you should have politely explained the situation back to you that we tried, were unable to find it, and would print you a replacement paper badge. Because the special laminate badges are printed in advance, we can only give you a paper badge at the con.

NOTE: A paper badge in place of a pre-reg badge is NOT the same as an Early reg badge. It still carries the full weekend admission and you still are getting the locked in discounted price. An Early Reg badge, officially, carries a higher price than a Pre-reg badge and does not avail you a special laminate badge. If we were unable to locate your laminate badge (among the thousands we had prepared), we are TRULY sorry for it.

Registration hit a few snags and bumps the first hour or so, but after that, we worked really hard to provide everyone with a fast and efficient service in picking up their badge. We were supposed to close at 8pm and officially didn't finish until 9:30-10pm.

SukebeStudios

The advice was WELL TAKEN! On Saturday, I went down to the Pre-Reg booth and asked about my laminated badge, and they found it almost right away with most of the badges gone. Thanks Fanime!

Himeno

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 11:46:27 PMhad issues with Reg, so that certain issues, (if fixable) can be addressed.
There is one quick simple fix can can solve or improve many of the problems I have observed of the Fanime reg process.

Get rid of named badges.
You need a badge. You don't need a name on that badge.

I have been to conventions across 3 counties on 2 continents. I am high level staff at 2 conventions (eg, department head level) and have assisted in many areas (including reg) at a number of others. The conventions that have had names on their general attendance badges have had far more problems then the conventions that don't have names.

SukebeStudios

Quote from: Himeno on May 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PM
Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 26, 2011, 11:46:27 PMhad issues with Reg, so that certain issues, (if fixable) can be addressed.
There is one quick simple fix can can solve or improve many of the problems I have observed of the Fanime reg process.

Get rid of named badges.

I have been to conventions across 3 counties on 2 continents. I am high level staff at 2 conventions (eg, department head level) and have assisted in many areas (including reg) at a number of others. The conventions that have had names on their general attendance badges have had far more problems then the conventions that don't have names.

I actually agree with that. Sac Anime does the same thing. They just have the person's name on a list and gives them a badge upon check in. Also it saves a lot of time and money.

M

You were not eligible for pre-reg if you paid after 11:59pm PST March 31, 2011. Looking at your record, I see one that is Pre-Reg and two that are Early-Reg. I know if you were the pre-reg or the one of the two early-regs.

Quote from: Himeno on May 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PMThere is one quick simple fix can can solve or improve many of the problems I have observed of the Fanime reg process.

Get rid of named badges.

Badges *NOT* having the name does more harm than good. When we print the label that gets put on there or print the laminated badges, the name being on there doesn't add any additional time.

Please keep in mind that there may be different laws affecting what can and can't go on a badge, which may cause one convention's viewpoint/operation to differ from another one.

[Edit: My first sentence didn't make sense (SukebeStudios quoted it below :P).]
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

SukebeStudios

Quote from: MPLe on May 29, 2011, 05:02:55 PM
You were not eligible for pre-reg if you paid after 11:59pm PST March 31, 2011. Looking at your record, I see one that is Pre-Reg and two that are Early-Reg. I know if you were the pre-reg or the one of the two early-regs.

Quote from: Himeno on May 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PMThere is one quick simple fix can can solve or improve many of the problems I have observed of the Fanime reg process.

Get rid of named badges.

Badges having the name and not having the name does more harm than good. When we print the label that gets put on there or print the laminated badges, the name being on there doesn't add any additional time.
Did you mean to say that NOT having names printed on laminated badges does more harm than good? Cause the way it came out made zero sense. The other cons I've been to gives you a standard laminated badge, and a nylon wristband that once clasped, can't be removed, unless you cut it off, and that would be the purchaser's fault, not the convention staff's.

QuotePlease keep in mind that there may be different laws affecting what can and can't go on a badge, which may cause one convention's viewpoint/operation to differ from another one.
With Sac Anime being in the same state as Fanime, I don't know how different the laws would be.

M

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 29, 2011, 06:00:54 PM
Quote from: MPLe on May 29, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Get rid of named badges.

Badges having the name and not having the name does more harm than good. When we print the label that gets put on there or print the laminated badges, the name being on there doesn't add any additional time.
Did you mean to say that NOT having names printed on laminated badges does more harm than good? Cause the way it came out made zero sense. The other cons I've been to gives you a standard laminated badge, and a nylon wristband that once clasped, can't be removed, unless you cut it off, and that would be the purchaser's fault, not the convention staff's.

QuotePlease keep in mind that there may be different laws affecting what can and can't go on a badge, which may cause one convention's viewpoint/operation to differ from another one.
With Sac Anime being in the same state as Fanime, I don't know how different the laws would be.

Oops, I did mean "Badges not having the name does more harm than good."

My comment about laws was mainly referring to Himeno's comment about conventions across countries/continents.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Himeno

such a comment is only there to show that I have a large amount of experience in these matters. It is in no way a statement of "con X does this, so Fanime should too."

QuoteOops, I did mean "Badges not having the name does more harm than good."
How so? I'm fairly sure that any reason you can come up for this can be quickly ripped apart.

HDinh

If you were supposed to have a pre-reg badge and were given an early reg badge, we have your pre-reg badges. You can come down to Registration to pick it up. We will trade your paper badge for your collectors item pre reg badge.

We are open till NOON, 12PM today, MONDAY.

ewu

unfortunately, we have many reasons that we design the badges the way we do. Some that we can share, and some that we cannot. Please understand that we have spent much time in considering and deliberating the design and have come to our current conclusion with sound reason. The badge design will continue to evolve based on our at-con experience and your comments, so please continue to share, but please also bear in mind that there are many things that are unique to this convention that drives our decisions.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Veriitas

i had no issue at all i just showed my ID and they gave me my badge right away.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
-Leonardo da Vinci

OGIGA

Quote from: Himeno on May 29, 2011, 10:29:36 PM
How so? I'm fairly sure that any reason you can come up for this can be quickly ripped apart.
I'm rather curious about this as well. Can anyone elaborate about what kind of harm could be done if they were unnamed as opposed to named? What are the reasons that can be shared? Why can't some reasons be shared? Is there a secret contract about how badges must be?

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: OGIGA on November 11, 2011, 04:50:55 PM
I'm rather curious about this as well. Can anyone elaborate about what kind of harm could be done if they were unnamed as opposed to named? What are the reasons that can be shared? Why can't some reasons be shared? Is there a secret contract about how badges must be?

...I'm gonna assume that it's so people can't pass the one badge around? And if you lose your badge it can be returned to you? And for quick identification of someone if they're causing a problem?

Dany

Quote from: Jeimizu on November 12, 2011, 11:23:23 AM
Quote from: OGIGA on November 11, 2011, 04:50:55 PM

...I'm gonna assume that it's so people can't pass the one badge around? And if you lose your badge it can be returned to you? And for quick identification of someone if they're causing a problem?

As well as the above, I think of information that differentiates official badges from badges that have been copied/altered/faked. There may be other reasons too, I'm sure.

I'm pretty indifferent to whether the name is on the badge or not...well, I would -prefer- that if we have names, that the name on my ID -not- be as prominent as it is on my badge. I would prefer that the 'big name" be the name that is usually listed as the "fan name", while the personal name is the smaller name, if it shows at all.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon