Anyone else let down by this year's Fanime?

Started by xBladeDragonx, May 29, 2011, 01:02:22 AM

zeroelement

Quote from: Rhornez on May 30, 2011, 10:11:48 PM
anime i havent seen cosplayed yet, Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
my friend did it one day
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

zeroelement

Quote from: bebop on May 30, 2011, 09:38:11 PM

- Too many Crossplayers this year. What the hell? Hado Gei should be the only exception but aside from that I think I saw more Crossplayer guys than I saw Cosplayer girls.

- what was with all the Yoko Ritona cosplayers? Everywhere I went I saw a Yoko cosplayer, or some other Gurren Lagann cosplayer. Don't get me wrong, that Anime was great (uh, back in 2007-2008) and I think it's time to move on or be somewhat original! I remember Fanime 2007-2009 had the best costumes. everybody was pretty different, unique, and creative cosplayers. this year it seemed like everybody just bought their costumes on those cheap cosplay websites and half assed their costumes.

First Crossplay is 100% fine. If you just go to look at hot girls and girls showing alot of skin go to a strip club. Most girls tend to do alot of male cosplay better than most guys. And some girls are not conferable with showing much skin or don't have the perfect figures nearly every anime character has.  Also Guys outfit tends to be more fun to be in and warmer. (also how would you like to know that nearly every guy there is looking at your but and junk? Now imagen all of those guys way older than you.)

Yoko is a favorite cosplay to do because its fun. People cosplay there fav animes and recently there hasnt been a BIG influx on new animes with the ability to cosplay (school uniform or street cloths are easy to do hard to let people notice).

Some people cant build their own cosplay, it may be easy to some but its hard to others. Not every girl or guy knows or even owns a needle and thread. Sometimes its cheaper to buy it. I have bought one cosplay online just because of cloth cost and it looked good. My other cosplays i have made myself.

As for the people who "half ass it" well sorry that they aren't perfect like you. Also i dont see you complaining about people dressing up as team rocket. Thats from the 90's  yoko is 100% new compared to pokemon red and blue. Also i saw maybe 2-3 yoko's this year thats a small amount unlike last year. Also people watch anime at different times sorry if they are late to the party lets them have their fun.

Ps my cosplay was from a manga thats current. I was the Fat free yes im overweight but thats not going to stop me from having fun at a convention.

B&W ball Dude let them have fun the line will last 2-3 mins then end.

Damce Not Fanime's fault DJ's should of done better but then again they mostly DJ other songs i would guess so nothing would be perfect. Also its not like they got to practice with the set up there.

Maid Cafe guy.  I thought the same thing years ago when i noticed the prices. But if you did go there you should of looked from the line what was going on. They say hi, give you your food, ask if everything is ok, kick you out. Sounds right to me. Do i wish they would of given me a massage or more food for less? no der but they got to get threw tons of horny guys looken at their outfits thinking things. Also most of the guys at the convention don't bath (i do) 

Mod edit: It's called a dance:)

hikanteki

Quote from: Kite on May 30, 2011, 09:42:21 PM
I do have to agree with some of the complaints made here.

There is this one thing, but I'm bot sure how to describe it.

If in my crude attempt I would describe it as the energy the con-goers were giving off. Two or three conventions ago, the energy felt spectacular. But last year and this year, well the energy seemed kind of dwindled. But of course it could have just been me. However this was just a thought I had.

This.

The attendees in general (and even many of the panelists) did seem pretty lackadaisical.  I don't think it has to do with the size, because some bigger conventions (i.e. WonderCon, ComicCon -- I know those aren't anime-focused but they are examples of big conventions with a great energy) & smaller conventions alike have the same great energy.  I thought it was a *slight* step up from last year, however.

Rhornez

i dont mind girl cross players but the male cross players....rant lol

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

zeroelement

Quote from: Rhornez on May 30, 2011, 11:07:51 PM

You don't mind the girls getting half naked then don't rant. (i don't mind guys crossplaying i think its odd but not weird, Dont forget cons are were people can go out and have fun if thats fun for them let them have fun)
PS don't look at them perversely and its ok XD

Rhornez

Quote from: zeroelement on May 30, 2011, 11:13:48 PM

You don't mind the girls getting half naked then don't rant. (i don't mind guys crossplaying i think its odd but not weird, Dont forget cons are were people can go out and have fun if thats fun for them let them have fun)
I THOUGHT ONE OF THE crossplayers WAS A GIRL FAR AWAY,my face when i was severely disappointed and i got scarred

zeroelement

Quote from: Rhornez on May 30, 2011, 11:17:05 PM
Quote from: zeroelement on May 30, 2011, 11:13:48 PM

I THOUGHT ONE OF THE crossplayers WAS A GIRL FAR AWAY,my face when i was severely disappointed and i got scarred
I learned this lessen on my first Fanime walking there. Saw a school girl cosplay thought it was a girl. The walk was wrong and the heck was manly. The neck tends to give the gender away.

Rhornez

bebop

yeah these "traps" from Japan have started to become a trend here as well. I didn't know I took pictures of a guy when I was doing a group photo.

You guys brought up good arguments but it won't change anything. I still think this year was pretty bad.

no I dont go just to check out girls. I didn't see much good male cosplayers this year though, however

I guess perhaps it is the trickle down theory. if the anime scene is stagnant or sucks, then the community gets driven down too  ???
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

kaizoku

Quote from: Mayhem on May 29, 2011, 03:51:56 AM
QuoteADDENDUM

Other FORBIDDEN costumes include the following:

Modern Paramilitary
Modern Military
ANY costume that could be misunderstood as threatening in the current political climate
Any ROVER has the power to decide what meets the criteria for a forbidden costume.

Do we get told this Months in advance? ... No!
Do we get told this Days in advance? .... No!
Do we get told this on Day zero? .... No!

I get told this on day 1 just before opening ceremonies, and I get told I should have read the rules (which were not amended to reflect the new rule until after my entire ordeal). I get made to feel like crap about not reading the non-existent rules, and When Fanime realizes they Screwed the pooch, do they rescind the the rule till next year (this really should not have been much of a problem) ... no! I get bent over the counter, and they Do me like virgin at a drunken roman orgy! I don't even get the courtesy of a kiss and some lube! All this while being apologized to like I was some sort of molested alter boy the church doesn't want embarrassing them. Thanks fanime! I blew a few hundred buck on a costume I cannot use, not only because of someones lack of intestinal fortitude, but because of their absolute laziness to to keep the fans and attendees informed in a timely manor.

Honestly I do not feel I'm obligated to not talk about this in either my review or rant. If I wanted the sand paper condom treatment I would have gone to Anime Expo as standard attendee. With all the B.S. I have had to put up at Fanime this year I will most likely not be attending next year, and I get paid to go to this! (at best I'm asking for more money).

This was my first attempt at playing dress up at a convention and I have been attending Anime conventions for over a decade, so here I am, about to get my Cospay cherry popped so to speak, and the experience has left me so disappointed (darn near traumatized) That I doubt I will ever dress up even for Halloween in fear that I will get jumped by the fun Nazi and beaten by her killjoy stick.

I would rather be spending my Memorial day weekend honoring my fellow soldiers that have sacrificed their lives for my freedom, then getting made to feel ashamed for my own service to this country.

Yes! I'm still Angry about this.
get over it.

zeroelement

Quote from: bebop on May 30, 2011, 11:26:05 PM
yeah these "traps" from Japan have started to become a trend here as well. I didn't know I took pictures of a guy when I was doing a group photo.

You guys brought up good arguments but it won't change anything. I still think this year was pretty bad.

no I dont go just to check out girls. I didn't see much good male cosplayers this year though, however

I guess perhaps it is the trickle down theory. if the anime scene is stagnant or sucks, then the community gets driven down too  ???

anime outfits of this years anime weren't that good tbh to start with so cospalyers didnt have alot to work with. Star driver and Kore wa zombie desu kai (sp) were the main new ones and i saw some but the outfits werent that easy to make. Also some people like me are making their own now so just because its not perfect does not mean its not cosplay. Also the good ones tend to be bought or made by people with skill.  I thought this year was great with the little kids cosplays. Mini doctor mini tifa mini maka and medusa and FMA. (sp idc its late) I personaly thought my Free cosplay was great yea i have a gut and the legs were to wide but hey it was my frist cosplay i made myself bound to not be perfect i never even turned on a sewing machine before and im betting im not alone there. (also the enconemy(sp) how it is not that easy to get best of best or more than one try)

cutiebunny

Complaint - Lack of Events on Friday

Other than the 'Opening Ceremony', why didn't Fanime schedule anything guest of honor related for Friday? I would have loved to have attended some guest related panels on Friday, but instead, everything was packed into Saturday and Sunday.  And while having a back-to-back panel and autograph session makes it easier for the guest, it makes it difficult for attendees that would like to show support for the guest by attending the panel instead of waiting in line for the autograph session.

What I loved about Fanime 2010 was that things were spread out.  And while I know that it's impossible to do 'everything' at a convention, I felt that I had the option of doing multiple things rather than spending the bulk of my time going from line to line.  Because of this, I was able to attend the FLOW concert on Friday but then also check out Mori & Ishiwatari's autograph session on Saturday.  Yes, there were fewer guests at Fanime 2010, but it seemed that each of the four days in 2010 was utilized, rather than the 'must-cram-everything-on-Saturday/Sunday' attitude that was present this year. My guess is that Fanime staff received complaints from 2010 con-goers frustrated that they couldn't attend the FLOW concert because it was on Friday.  I think a simple 'Sorry' should suffice.  If you want to attend all four days, make arrangements to do so.  I know it's hard when you have a job, attend school or have to travel a significant distance to do so.  Most of us fit somewhere in this general classification.  But, we manage.

Oh, and the lack of schedules that everyone has already mentioned...

Compliment - Everything Else!

Having experienced a few large conventions, I thought that Fanime ran smoothly.  Yes, there were some rovers that acted as if they were attending Police Academy training and the lack of communication regarding current events amongst staff was sometimes very obvious, but, they're something that happens at every convention. Unless you're a Disneyland greeter, not everyone is going to be friendly to you every minute of the day.  Nor will they be on their A game at all times.  But there were a lot of staff members that were completely dedicated and were enthusiastic.  I saw a staffer who was still standing up, working, despite having a sprained ankle.  That's dedication right there and kudos for you for doing so!

Above all, I thought the guests who I met were spectacular and I really want to thank them for putting up with us, despite the grouchiness (and smell) that comes from an entire day spent in multiple autograph lines, with little food/water and what sometimes felt like a sauna.  Guests like Yokota-san who stayed until 3am to finish sketches for attendees, Iida-san who scratched his dinner reservations to work through the line and Yoshimatsu, who, despite wanting to see the concert, stayed a good 1.5 hours beyond his autograph session to draw sketches really should be thanked.  I absolutely love guests like this and it's a real treat to meet people who are this dedicated.  I've gone to conventions where the exact opposite guests exist, and it really dampers a convention experience.  A big *thanks* to guests this year, and for those who selected them.  Stellar job!

And last but not least, the Charity Auctions!  I'm not sure how much Sunday's auctions brought in, but the $38,800 that Monday's auctions earned was incredible and a feat I'm sure many attendees would love to repeat.

Miyu_Mya

The things I noticed was how there were a lot more people(like double last year) at the con and that most con goers were more irritated, snappy, and insulting.
I've always known Fanime to be a friendly convention unlike the Big convention, Anime Expo. I was really disappointed when a girl walking behind me bluntly said "Why are b**ches calling me ...." because they thought she was a different Character. People have named cosplayers wrong before and they never get mean about it. I remember thinking "mean people should not be a Fanime."
I was also on an Elevator where a person got upset because someone from the 5th floor was going down. Quote "people who are on the 5th floor should just take the stairs."
Another, My friend fell against the buttons on the elevator hitting 5 floors and the people in the elevator started yelling at her. She even apologized but that didn't help. They should be mad at is the guy that hit a lot of buttons and ran out of the Elevator rather then the girl that got tired and fell upon it.
I have never heard or experience this when I attended previous Fanime con.
Lets keep Fanime a friendly convention. Thats why I love going here.
"Nothing beautiful lasts forever."

heroblade20

It seems to me the best complaint is lack of schedule, but even then the argument is floppy.
Schedule, I realize this was a huge problem for everyone it even pissed me off-_-, BUT the schedule was posted a week or two in advance so you could print it at your own discretion. Though I do agree with something an earlier poster stated, they could have sacrificed a page or two from the guide book to the schedule. In the end it is a cost cutting measure that excises what is not entirely necessary just be thankful that they offered the schedule in advance at all I suppose.

Crowd Control- Unless u want to be herded like sheep or something this is a difficult thing to enforce. There will always be ppl taking pictures I mean hell thats half the fun of a con right there. The rovers did their best imo. The number of times I heard stay against the wall was sufficient.
The protestors played a large part in the lack of staff to control the crowd. Yes this cult of protestors is rather obnoxious and annoying, but on saturday there were three max I think. The staff made the right choice of prtecting them considering there was a mob of about 100( minimum) ready to rip them in half.
Rover respect- Rudeness is annoying yes, but put yourself in their shoes please. Some ppl come to cons to get wasted and harass ppl try getting a bunch of those in one day and see how short tempered you are( u dont count velociraptor Jesus). It isn't like some fans don't ask for it; I saw a rover who was simply directing traffic get asked so disrespectfully, " Why can't we go in yet? What is wrong with you guys?" this is in addition to the number of ppl who didnt get how many times they needed to repeat this isn thte exit.-_-

Crowds/ doesn't feel like an animecon- Its a good thing isnt it? It means our con is growing. What're we gonna do punish ppl for dressing up as wolverine? I mean there isnt really anything wrong with a anime con which appeals to its attendees. :)
Crime- Hard to enforce with all teh costumed ppl unless we get otaku police who remember every character and their belongings xD which I would be all for. More ppl= more problems. This does not however forgive it and I am truly sorry to the victims, " Shut Up Crime!!"
My annoyances
haha,-_- Too many kids. I swear it was like middle school just got out... I saw the line for the Black and White ball and thought," Is there a prom going on right now?"
I realize there is nothing that can be done(*.* Unless we become an 18+ con... Sounds kinda gross) but :D I do enjoy whining about it.

Mayhem

Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There!

Tsubasakissu

Also, the Panels Head, is/was rude to alot of the panelists, and she wouldnt give out panelists tickets on day 0, like SHE SAID SHE WOULD in emails sent out. She said she would be out on the Stage 0 info desk. People came and waited. and guess what ? She never came. Ever. And we were given no fore-warning at all. I mean, people DONT have to do panels. They want to. the LEAST you could do is be courteous to them.Alot of other panelists had/have had problems with her in the past too/

bebop

Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

idontknow

ranting time!

SCHEDULES. Seems like everyone was frustrated about this, but I might as well put my input. As an artist at artist alley, it was difficult to decide when to leave my booth and when to stay. I actually missed out on a lot of things I wanted to do just because I didn't have a schedule with me. I'm all for "going green" and "save paper" mumbo jumbo, but if you're going to print out the Fanime booklets that they gave out to the pre-registers, why not just print the schedule out in there? As long as you plan ahead, everything should be okay. Maybe even make small Fanime booklets that can fit in your pocket. I think they did it one year and I LOVED IT.

SCHEDULING. (Different from schedules :P) I'm pretty sure staff members thought about this a lot more thoroughly than I did, but might as well put my input. Why were big events like the B&W Ball and the Masquerade scheduled at the same time?! Couldn't it have been possible to make the big off-site events like B&W Ball, Masquerade, and the music concert thing on different days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday?).

DANCING. No offense, but I'm not a big fan of techno music. The only dancing I enjoy is to "booty-popping music" LOL. I know there's clubs in Downtown SJ that play that music, but it would be more convenient for me to just dance at Fanime xD Anyways, the closest thing to "booty-popping" music was the Asian Pop (which I don't really mind dancing to, btw), bu it was during the B&W ball. Since all the other dancing times were techno, I just wished the Asian Pop dances were NOT during B&W ball because it prevented me from attending it. And maybe later in the night too, not at 6pm when no one really dances lol.

STAFF. Oh my gawd, staff. I believe this year wins for RUDEST STAFF MEMBERS. I understand some staff personal have to be mean every now and then to make sure everything runs smoothly, but I felt like some staff members got power hungry. I can't think of a specific example at the moment because not all of them were bad ... but I remember being irked at staff for part of the con.

TABLETOP GAMING. Someone mentioned this already but YES, PLEASE GET MORE TABLES! And possibly more cards for Bingo?! :D I wasn't able to play :(

GAMES. MORE CRANE MACHINES PLEASEEEE! So sad that one of the only two crane machines kept breaking, so I had to suffice with the candy crane machine :[

CON-GOERS. There's not really anything Fanime could do about this, but I would like to rant a little. Even though I'm happy Fanime is becoming bigger, a lot of the con-goers are getting a lot ruder. A girl almost hit hit me while she was trying to put a box on her head. Her friend told her "be careful, you might hit someone" and she just replied saying, "That's their own fault." I'm sorry if you were STANDING IN THE WALKWAY AND YOUR BOXHEAD GOT IN MY WAY. I was ready to rip that box off her head.

Mango Bunny

Some thoughts!

Schedules. Kind of put a huge damper on my con experience. Having the ability to decide what you're doing next or to check what's up wherever you currently are instead of fighting through a crowd to stand at the info desk is major. Also, a girl working the info desk was pretty rude at times. People need to understand that just because you have heard the question 100 times that day, doesn't mean that person had any other way of finding out. Also, info is your job.

I had some disappointments with the way the Yoshiki panel was conducted. Press taking up the first two rows and ro sham bo were not appreciated. Everything else about that panel ROCKED.

The Masquerade was actually.... amazing! First time I've ever stayed all the way through. And the waiting period for the judging was really fun and really felt like 'fanime'.

FMVs.... missed these this year because I had no schedule. I'm not sure when they were.

Musicfest... I didn't go, because I wasn't interested in the bands, although Yuya was hecka pretty.

The dealer's hall didn't have what I wanted, but that's okay since I don't expect it to. And the prices were pricy as always, but any imports or official merchandise are.

Artist Alley... I would have liked to see more wearable items that I was interested in, but it was still great.

Overall it was a wonderful Fanime.

The cosplay was good, but yes, there is a dry spell. We can't blame people for not cosplaying what YOU want to see. You cosplay what you want to see. Problem solved. And who cares about crossplayers? They're there to have fun, JUST LIKE YOU.

I loved Fanime 2011!!!

PyronIkari

I haven't read stuff and I only have like 2 minutes while I'm printing stuff. Yes I'm staff, no I'm not talking on behalf of staff as I only take care of my dept and the conjoining issues of my dept.

Mayhem: You got screwed, I was talking about you with some other staffers actually and we thought your idea was awesome, I wonder what happened.

A lot of your complaints are kind of dumb. Dealers hall prices? Really? Do I need to explain economy to year? The Yen's value and the dollars value were at some extreme highs for a majority of this year. You realize that when dealers import items from Japan, the value of said item may not change, but the value of the dollar does. So a dollar may have been 98 yen last year, but this year, it was as low as 70 yen to the dollar. This means things that were 9000 yen in Japan costed 100.00$ but now 7000 yen items are now 100$. That's not even including exchange fees or taxes/shipping etc. So of course prices went up, that's how economy works. So complaining about prices at the dealers hall is quite... dumb. Have you looked online recently at prices for imported goods? They went up pretty much every where. My local Marukai charges an extra 40cents now for canned coffee. My local Mitsuwa charges and extra 4$ for the shampoo I buy.

THIS IS ECONOMY... It's not Fanime nor the dealers fault that stuff is more expensive.

Something to learn about rovers, crowd control etc. There are always bad and good staff members on the lower level(or any level). If you get a bad staff member, get their name and description and report them. Upper management does care about this stuff. They do not want bad staff members, but they don't know they're bad unless people report them.

I'll write more, but my files are done printing.