What way worked best for you, to make new friends at conventions?

Started by AKA Zero, May 30, 2011, 09:17:53 PM

AKA Zero

I've personally only been to 3 Fanime conventions, where 2 of them i simply walked around for things i might buy.

I been a loner for most of my life, tell i met some awesome friends who showed me how much more fun conventions can actually be when you talked to people.

Now taking there lead, I felt a lot more comfortable talking to people and making even more friends

But now going back to my subject question, what did you do to make more friends? Which worked out better then others? And how it effected your convention experience, I personally would love to know, so share your thoughts c:

Just think of a convention where you can't walk a few steps without bumping into someone you already made friends with ^~^  ;D

c2chaos

I can think of four:
Being a great Rover.
Fanime Forums.
Feeding the Otakus.
Joining a game of ninja.

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

Persona

Honestly...?

Wait for it...

Staffing.

Actually, the first year I staffed (tech) I was with guys who were all out of my age group, save one person, so it was kind of boring/awkward most of the time. However, this year I got to meet the guy(s) who staffed the Civic (aka MF and Masquerade) last year and had a lot of fun. I also have friends who knew other people from the anime club at my alma mater, so I got to meet quite a few new people.

Going to B&W lessons is great for meeting dance partners (and just cool guys/gals in general), too.

SquallLHeart

I've always found the stronger friendships stemming from meeting people that you work with.. so yes, staffing is a great suggestion.
Rovers are always in need of help.. and we're pretty much a family.. we do things outside of con quite often as well. There's no doubt you'd be assimilated unless you're just a complete fail. LOL.

If anything else.. don't be creepy.. and just push yourself to.. AT THE VERY LEAST, just come up to someone and say hi. Introduce yourself. :)
Trung D. Nguyen
Fanime: Autographs Head '11 | Rovers '01-present | Gopher '99-'00
Anime Expo: AxCon '07-'2009
ComicCon: Vol '04-'05

staff/vol. for misc. conventions all around the nation... ranging from 30.. to 130K+ attendees...

renalcul

The first year i joined random games that people were playing at 3 in the morning

this year, i got drunk. And talked to other drunk people who were in the hallways at midnight.

No regrets.

SquallLHeart

Quote from: renalcul on June 04, 2011, 01:56:51 AM
this year, i got drunk. And talked to other drunk people who were in the hallways at midnight.
something i wouldn't recommend doing at a convention..
Trung D. Nguyen
Fanime: Autographs Head '11 | Rovers '01-present | Gopher '99-'00
Anime Expo: AxCon '07-'2009
ComicCon: Vol '04-'05

staff/vol. for misc. conventions all around the nation... ranging from 30.. to 130K+ attendees...

Melly

Quote from: SquallLHeart on June 06, 2011, 12:52:12 AM

i second that LOL;

and back on topic, well idk about anyone else, but i'll (and i did this at con) just compliment anyone i found interesting c:

like this guy Andrew, i was like "DUDE COOL HAT" and then basically he hung out with my friend Cyndi and me the rest of the con LOL.

and i also think Cosplaying helps too. c: especially cosplaying from a more mainstream/popular anime.

i did Euphemia this year and i just met so many people just from me cosplaying her o.o!!!

and actually even not-as-popular animes seem to work too. when i did my Hachi (last year) i met my Nana O threw forums and then we met up with a Ren and his other friend who was going to cosplay Takumi and yeah 8D!! good times. :D

renalcul

Quote from: SquallLHeart on June 06, 2011, 12:52:12 AM
They were locked out because the people they were rooming with were having relationship drama, and i thought one of them was cute and talked with them whilst they were locked out and i gave them some energy drinks.

Sadly she was in a relationship.

FOILED AGAIN

Edit: Be generous and friendly :)

pokkypok

I second the dance lessons, because you are pretty much forced to talk to at least 20 new people each lesson. Then if you feel like going to ball, you can ask the people from the lessons that you connected with and get to know them even better :D
Also waiting in lines helps. Just turn to the person behind you and be all like "HEY"
And again cosplaying, like was mentioned, helps. If someone recognizes the series they'll come up and maybe talk to you, or you can walk up to a cosplayer from the same series and already have something to talk about.
But what really worked for me is late at night, sit around and invite random people walking by to sit with you and play something like "would you rather" or jenga or cards or whatever you can think of. Usually people have nothing to do (especially if this is after the rave) and they might be a bit tired so they'll be up to sitting around and talking.

cottoncandymuffin

Actually this is only my 2nd year going to Fanime but I've met a LOT of people ^^ mostly though just chatting up other waiting in line for things like MF and autographs haha. People are pretty open even if you randomly just start talking to them (they won't think you're a creeper. probably ;) )

LordKefka

Gaining confidence to talk to people is the first step to making friends with anyone.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

eHash

QuoteGaining confidence to talk to people is the first step to making friends with anyone.

Totally agree...
think of why someone would want to be friends with you first and start from there...
and figure out how to use that to help you not be thought of as a creeper.

Glitch

L0Lpants

A question to break the ice on what you're seeing at that moment. Usually along the lines of "who are you supposed to be?" or my favorite among seeing highly questionable cosplays, "what...the fuck...is THAT...supposed to be?!" to a random person.
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

JTchinoy

Working in a division and talking to anyone about whatever they're doing is a great way to start a conversation? Anime conventions have so many things going on that it's easy to find a conversation starter.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

GreyHarper

Playing a musical instrument, ocarinas are really easy to carry. I have an ocarina and when I got stuck in line, or was just traveling some place by myself, I would just start playing and that would a). let the people I was trying to find be able to find me by sound as well as sight and b). I got pulled over a lot with people being all, "Omg! That's [insert song title here]!" And we'd start talking about music, games, costumes, whatever.

Also, I went to fanime with my family (who live down there), so they knew a lot of people already.

And this may sound silly, but going to other cons work as well, I go to Sacanime and I saw a lot of people I know from Sacanime from Fanime.
If wishes were fishes, I'd give you the sea.