By Fans, For Fans theory

Started by otakuya, May 31, 2011, 12:37:09 AM

otakuya

A theory I thought of examining all my recent con experiences:

FanimeCon is no longer an 'anime' convention anymore. Instead of being 'By Fans, For Fans', Fanime has become a convention about fans (of anime/gaming/art/whatever).

Just look at the recent events, panels, forum threads, and most convention related stuff: speed dating, post-con depression, Black & White Ball, Yaoi Bingo, the list goes on.

But are those events about anime? Or are they focused on the people that enjoy them? Back then, panels had an anime industry-based importance to them (such as a Q&A with representatives from Viz Media for example). Now, it's more socially based, as in 'what I can do' or 'make your own', like Artists Alley. Look at the post-con depression threads. They are there because of the interaction of people, not exactly because you didn't get to watch a premiere or see you favorite anime character in cosplay form. Also, look at everyone's favorite convention moment; most are just simply being around the people and not one single convention hosted activity.

I'm not trying to make an argument or create negative debates. It's just an observation of an evolution of the fandom.

Simply put, FanimeCon is now By Fans, For Fans, and About the Fans

kaizoku

I don't really have a problem with that.  There has to be room for growth and change.

otakuya

I'm not complaining and I don't have a problem with it. In fact, of course I'm happy as to how big Fanime has grown. Think about it, who or what is the star of Fanime? Sephiroth or the Sephiroth cosplayer? You go to Fanime because of the people. Read reports and blogs, and look at photo galleries. 90% of them are based on social experiences at the convention.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what change or problem this may or may not create. It's just a quick essay of a theory I have about Fanime in general.

Also, I'm not sure where exactly to post this. It's too much to be just another 'random thought' in the forum games.

xchrislee

In the end people are still gathering mainly because of their love of anime. The social aspect has grown because of how people have made connections while going to these things. Artist Alley hasn't changed much in the past 5 years and it'd be hard to deny that things in there aren't 99% anime related and the other 1% could be argued either way ie: steampunk jewelry/ chainmail.

If anything I'm proud to be part of a con where the experience itself, the people, and connections congoers create can eclipse the thing the event can sometimes be about.

That's one of the things that makes Fanime truly special and stand out from other conventions. 

lurker9000

Fanime probably lacks an industry presence because we are run by fans not funded by Sony/Viz/etc. Doing so would force us to cater to them and be against what the convention stands for.
ChristopherLee:MusicFest2nd

M

Without going into it too much, no one should take what Otakuya says as a bad statement -- I certainly don't.

We listen to our members and take that feedback into consideration which will lead to events that aren't 100% anime inspired/related. Does this mean that we're no longer an anime convention? No. I'd like to think that we still have a strong anime presence while keeping enough events to keep most fans happy.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Yuu

You want to complain about yaoi? Really?

There is gobs and gobs f yuri. One little panel about Yaoi is not going to hurt anyone.

You should try attending Sakura con in Seattle sometime. I call it 'By 4chan for the staff" If you want to take part in ANY interactive game  at SC you have to be on the forum, fill out an application kiss ass or just be really popular and have a costume that is 'hilarious' akaa meme. Naturally, staff have first pic.
The past two years I was turned away in my Dgrayman costume, along with othes from Okami ( this is supposed to be a Japanese culture con as well as anime) and other anime. Do you know who did get to play? Zap Brannigan-all three games. Pedo bear-two games. Power rangers, "The Dr" someone from Lazy Town and Leroy Jenkins.
This is just cosplay chess. I wont even try and recall all of the panels that had NOTHING to do with anime or anything even remotely Japanese.

Attend Sakura con just ONCE and I guarantee you'll have a new appreciation for Fanime.

I did get sick of seeing storm troopers and I got even sicker of assholes getting really defensive and trying to start fights when I said I didn't think Starwars belonged at an ANIME convention.
Don't be an idiot. If you like it say go ahead and say so but don't stand there and try to argue t that it BELONGS at an anime con.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

otakuya

^ Did I actually complain about yaoi? And did I complain about anything? I did not say what SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be at an anime con, especially at Fanime. All I said that the events and panels are now more catered to the people that love anime and the culture. I didn't say the con should go industry, corporate, or 'for the staff'.

And you know what, I love that it's still (and always will be) fan based. Now it's more people and social based. And I love that too.

@mods: Can you move this to the "Serious Business" forum? (before it gets out of hand)

Yuu

Quote from: Otakuya on June 03, 2011, 11:40:55 PM
^ Did I actually complain about yaoi? And did I complain about anything? I did not say what SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be at an anime con, especially at Fanime. All I said that the events and panels are now more catered to the people that love anime and the culture. I didn't say the con should go industry, corporate, or 'for the staff'.

And you know what, I love that it's still (and always will be) fan based. Now it's more people and social based. And I love that too.

@mods: Can you move this to the "Serious Business" forum? (before it gets out of hand)

Point- Fanime owns the living hell out of Sakura con and AX

Is that okay? Am I allowed to say that?
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"