Theme for Fanime 2012

Started by Luca Cantellano, May 31, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

Luca Cantellano

For those of us that just can't wait to brainstorm our ideas for Fanime 2012's theme, post your ideas and thoughts here, for now.

I noticed there wasn't a thread yet, so I guessed there might be a few people dying to share their thoughts to save for later~

QuoteLuca's Theme Ideas:
Taking into perspective what we have done for previous years, I like the "subculture" themes.
I don't remember all the previous years, so here is my list of ideas!

Lolita {Gothic & Sweet} -a victorian twist
"Otherkin" {elven, fairies, sprites, aliens, dragons, angels, demons, vampires, werewolves, etc...} -celebrateing all creatures not human
Pokémon -not only is it a part of so many childhoods and game-obsessions, it has its own subculture...
Cybergoth -bringing cyberpunk, goth, and raver together
J/K-pop -K-pop is flying across the world at record speed. Why not celebrate our J-pop and K-pop idols? Can you imagine the added excitement for the concert??
Harajuku {Lolita, Gyaruo, Kogal, ... etc.} -celebrating the fashions of Japan
Visual Kei -yet another subculture of Nihon! Of course, this could easily be a part of the previously mentioned "J/K-pop"
Dolly Kei -"EHHH?!" Yes, for those who haven't heard, there is a Dolly Kei! I know alot are probably confused, since you may or may not keep up with japanese fashions/subcultures, but here is wiki's input: "a newly-emerging style based on Japan's view of the Middle Ages and European fairy tales, especially the Brothers Grimm. It includes a lot of vintage skirts, dresses, etc., and sometimes has religious symbols."
PARA PARA!! -okay, not serious about this one... I just thought it would be fun if everyone started dancing like Para Para! Okay, this is a type of dance where everyone does the same movements... like synchronized dancing!

I'm not saying we have input... But maybe we could help the people that actually make the decisions? I know that it's hard to decide on something for Fanime, not knowing whether or not the con-goers will agree with the decision...

EDIT:
Quote from: Arkham on May 31, 2011, 04:25:42 PM
During the closing ceremony, they announced the 2012 theme as being 'Sports'.

What are your ideas for the sports theme, guys? :D

2015 cosplay(s): Lady Deadpool (realistic interpretation)

Persona

Oooh! I didn't know we had input on the themes -- I don't have a huge opinion on them even though it's fun to see the art, but here are some of mine:

!! Magical girl/boy -- because it needs a revival !!
Dolls/Puppets/Marionettes -- like old Victorian/porcelain dolls, not BJDs, although all types should be represented I s'pose
Stage/theatre tropes -- like Harlequin/Columbine, Noh, Kabuki etc
"Film" -- Westerns, Samurai flicks, good cop/bad cop, etc

chifunii

I would love to see a folklore theme...
Read: Kappa.
I love the river monster. xD
Okami, and other Japanese gods/goddesses/deities would be fun~

An underwater theme would be cool too, though I wouldn't see the relevance in that. :)
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

otakuya

Around the World = celebrate diversity of Fanime (all of the different flags I saw at '11)

Fanime 500 = the con is on the same weekend as the Indy 500, Monaco Grand Prix, and Coke 600 (hint: race queens and grid girls)

Under the Sea = chifunii's underwater idea I like (tie-in with the SJ Sharks, too? :) )

Armageddon/Apocalypse = it is 2012, nuff said

Hero/Superheroes

Social Network

For those that don't know, heres what the past themes were:
2011-steampunk
2010-fantasy rpg
2009-music
2008-feudal Japan
2007-space odyssey
2006-cyberpunk
2005-students in the city (SJSU)

Arkham

--Arkham : The Blackened Hatter

L0Lpants

They sure did. Finally, a legitimate excuse to don all my Sharks hockey gear. Black armor Pavelski jersey, bitches!!
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

AbsolutelyCursed

Time to explore doing an Eyeshield 21 cosplay

otakuya

Oh ok, never mind then! Hi Five!

Alyxiane

I now have the strong urge to cosplay SNSD in their Oh! MV. (They're cheerleaders!) >w>
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

bahamutknightzero

I can see a good amount of soccer cosplays based off this next year

Luca Cantellano

Quote from: bahamutknightzero on May 31, 2011, 08:24:19 PM
I can see a good amount of soccer cosplays based off this next year

I totally agree! And hetalia cosplayers will be their soccer versions! Oh my

2015 cosplay(s): Lady Deadpool (realistic interpretation)

kookiekween99

Don't really like the theme of Sports. Doesn't really seem nerdy to me. But that's just my opinion.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

questionette

I would love to see an "otherkin" theme personally :D
or maybe a machina theme because of the supposed apocalypse? :O

otakuya

Prince of Tennis, Slam Dunk! (basketball), Dan Doh! (golf), and Battle Athletes (track & field) are the only sports-dominated anime titles I can think of (I know there are more). I honestly like the idea; a change of pace of cosplay and fashion, imo.

Anyone noticed that next year is also the London Olympics?

Alyxiane

^ I can imagine the slight increase of England cosplayers now with that knowledge. :P

Sports is an interesting theme to tackle. (No pun intended!) I wonder what people would do other than donning sports jerseys and/or cosplaying the sports-central titles. o.O
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

otakuya

Obviously, there would have to be some sort of 'sports festival' at Fanime, like the ones you usually see in many high school anime. Of course, there aren't many sports-based anime, but if there can be steampunk Disney, there can be Bleach basketball or Final Fantasy football (get it?!)

dealerJason

I have to say, the boys at Stage Zero, Mr. Rob Miles, and myself and been planning for Sports as a them for 3 years now.  We have been dying for the chance to sink our teeth into this.

Think of all the great sports themed anime.  I mean, is not catching Pokemon a sport? 
Let's break it down (sorry Kevin)
Prince of Tennis-Unquestionably huge anime with its own live show!
Slam Dunk-The penultimate anime about Basketball that spawned so many titles

Hockey?  You got it!
Go!! Southern Ice Hockey Club
My Heavenly Hockey Club

There has been boxing anime, baseball anime with most coming from Manga.

So, I know most of Fanime is not necessarily sportsmen, but most have appreciated a sports anime or two.

Now you will have to excuse me, I need to catch up on Eyeshield 21, my football anime!
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Mango Bunny

Eww, icky theme.

But...

PE bloomers/buruma?

HMMHMM?

chifunii

If the weather is going to be as cold as it was this year, the sports theme is going to justify the fact that I'll be wearing sweatpants all four days...

I vote underwater for 2013 then, if we don't die next year >>;
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

SweetNiar

how about FLCL baseball cosplay? XD