Theme for Fanime 2012

Started by Luca Cantellano, May 31, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

Alyxiane

Quote from: chifunii on June 01, 2011, 06:20:14 PMI vote underwater for 2013 then, if we don't die next year >>;
I second this. Fits perfectly for my planned OC mermaid assassin cosplay. O_O
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Mr. Wendell

Quote from: dealerJason on May 31, 2011, 11:54:32 PM
I have to say, the boys at Stage Zero, Mr. Rob Miles, and myself and been planning for Sports as a them for 3 years now.  We have been dying for the chance to sink our teeth into this.

Think of all the great sports themed anime.  I mean, is not catching Pokemon a sport? 
Let's break it down (sorry Kevin)
Prince of Tennis-Unquestionably huge anime with its own live show!
Slam Dunk-The penultimate anime about Basketball that spawned so many titles

Hockey?  You got it!
Go!! Southern Ice Hockey Club
My Heavenly Hockey Club

There has been boxing anime, baseball anime with most coming from Manga.

So, I know most of Fanime is not necessarily sportsmen, but most have appreciated a sports anime or two.

Now you will have to excuse me, I need to catch up on Eyeshield 21, my football anime!

Don't forget the soccer inspired animes of Captain Tsubasa and Giant Killing...

Also, remember, 2012 is also a Summer Olympics year...  you know what that means, a parade of nations!  Yeah, I'm talking to you Hetalians.  I trust you can do something inspired out of that.

My mind is going nuts over ideas for the Sports theme.  My Stage Zero folks would love to work with our fellow FanimeCon staff as soon as possible (that is after we've recovered from this year! ;) ) to make Sports for 2012 an amazing and memorable theme that attendees won't forget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

Usaku

Hi guys! I'm the gal who handles picking and pitching the themes to the chair and marketing teams for each year. First off, I want to say I'm really excited you guys have taken the time to create a feedback thread on this. I didn't know people were that involved in our themes, since it usually sticks to just the artwork and visual image of the con. Hopefully it's something we can work on integrating into more events (love the parade of nations idea). I really wanted a mystery-themed stamp rally for the Steampunk theme but we couldn't get it off the ground. I think our folks at Stage Zero will fo a great job integrating sports, though, cause they are pumped!

We picked the sports theme to tie into a genre of anime we haven't yet covered (as a well-loved sub-genre of anime, it's pretty nerdy) AND with the 2012 Olympics. For this reason, the characters will actually be depicted in Olympic sport uniforms (swim suits, etc) and Team Fanime track suits as well. Sports each character will represent are tennis (Prince of Tennis), beach volley ball (DOA), soccer (Inazuma Eleven), rythmic gymnastics (Ranma and several other anime feature this sport), and track & field (Battle Athletes). However, any sport is welcome for cosplay and fun! :)

I'm loving some of the suggestions here... especially folklore, Fanime 500 (go, Speedracer!), and under the sea. I'm definitely adding those to the pool of ideas! As for K/J-pop and visual kei.. we did rock/pop music in 2009, so though Visual Kei is more extreme in costuming, those would be too close. Similar thing for Cybergoth. Our cyberpunk theme was actually infused with a bit of gothic lolita style (doing an over-the-top sweet lolita theme would still be valid, though). Pokemon is an actual licensed title, so there would be a very fine legal line to walk between parody and copyright. It's also a very specific thing that people are attached to. I like to keep the themes a bit more generalized. Dolly kei would be neat for a "Fairy Tale" theme, though! To the person who suggested dolls.. though you mention Victorian dolls, a BJD theme IS in my pool of ideas. :) Trying to keep it more closely associated to Asian culture, hence the BJD focus.

Keep the suggestions coming.. I like to brainstorm all year for coming years, and keep a running tab of my favorite ideas in a notepad file. :)
FanimeCon Creative Co-Director
Staff Since 2003
http://missleliel.deviantart.com

Salty Pearl

I'd appreciate an oshare - kei theme with more neon/acid styles
or maybe
a Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki tribute ? 

ratcabob

I love that "Otherkin" idea as I don't think FanimeCon has ever gone that route before! Not only would it be great for pokemon and fantasy cosplayers, but it could also bring more cosplayers of creatures like Kappas, game mascots, and even more anthropomorphized versions of non-human characters (like the AWESOME Glados girls from Portal that came this year). It has potential for much inspiration with the fanbase in my opinion. :)
Fighting gravity is a losing battle...

Anime-Planet.com - [url=http://www.anime-planet.

c2chaos

Japanese school swimsuits.
*nosebleed*

In my left brain, there's nothing right & in my right brain, there's nothing left.

heeroyuy135

What if we got some custom-made sports jerseys for next year's Fanime? We could get some for all kinds of sports, from baseball to football to basketball to soccer to even paintball!

otakuya

Back to the 'sports' theme:
Maybe have a cover "athlete" contest? lol

Cuz i was bored. Don't shoot me for logo use

CosplayDevotee

I understand the theme since they want it to go w/ the olympics, but I really can't think of any cosplay besides the obvious (prince of tennis etc...) that would go w/ it. The convention if just going to be overrun w/ Hetalia ppl again. Great cosplays and all, but after seeing your 15th Germany and 18th America its like...ugh. But hey, I'm open to this, probably will just go as my normal cosplays.

I thought it would be funny to do "slumber party" for 2013. I've already seen characters in PJ's. Just a thought.

The Sea-Faring Otaku

I'm really starting to like this theme. People are coming up with great ideas. For instance, the Summer Olympics tie-in. Keep it up!
On and Off Attendee since 2005!

R.I.P. Fanime 2020 😭

See y'all in 2021!

Ska_Kitti

Dokuban, Slam Dunk, Princess Nine, Battle Athletes, hmm... There are plenty more unless you alter an existing cosplay to fit the theme~
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

PyronIkari

Sports as a theme, is more than just physical sports remember.

Anime like baka-test where the sport is education. Racing series, things like Pokemon(cock-fighter 2000), Yu-gi-oh are all sports.

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: PyronIkari on August 08, 2011, 01:17:17 PM
Sports as a theme, is more than just physical sports remember.

Anime like baka-test where the sport is education. Racing series, things like Pokemon(cock-fighter 2000), Yu-gi-oh are all sports.
Oh...duh *knocks her head* Yes definately, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for some of those examples. ^_^

I already cosplayed as Eevee last year, could be fun to twist that to a sports theme.

catherine

sports is a good one. I think pirates is a good theme for fanime. I know there's a few pirates anime out there, so fan can easy cosplay them. One Piece. Or maybe Cowboy. There's Cowboy Bebop and Tagun. Just ideas.

BunofGovt

'Whistle' is one soccer anime/manga.

Yeah, you can always cosplay your favorite series in a sports theme.  The Cherry Blossom viewing episode from Gintama and the epic jan-ken-pon battle.

EDIT:  we should have Radio Exercises each morning of con!!!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

InfinityThief

If the theme is sports...Eh...I would suggest Soccer because most of the world plays Soccer or as the rest of the world calls it football. I would be much more eager to suggest this if it was closer to the next FIFA World Cup.

DeviousArtist

While i'm glad that next year will be sports and not apocalyptic ( as that may be offensive to Mayas and there are at least 3 registered at this con: me, my sister, and my friend ) I also have a suggestion for future years:

OCs/character redentions: because I know a lot of us are dying to make costumes for that.
East meets West: western characters with whatever anime twist you like ( Phineas and Ferb, Futurama, Avenue Q, and so on... ) And because Disney already took advantage of that in KH.
Fusona: because everyone has one.
And I like that Pokemon idea. It really does have it's own culture and it's not just for little kids.

Well I hope fanime takes this into account as i and many others would like to have a say in this.

EDIT: I have to say I think my favorite of all my suggestions is the east meets west. If people don't think it's that stupid, I'd really appreciate some support on that topic.
Quote from: Usaku on June 12, 2011, 12:56:53 PM
Hi guys! I'm the gal who handles picking and pitching the themes to the chair and marketing teams for each year. First off, I want to say I'm really excited you guys have taken the time to create a feedback thread on this. I didn't know people were that involved in our themes, since it usually sticks to just the artwork and visual image of the con. Hopefully it's something we can work on integrating into more events (love the parade of nations idea). I really wanted a mystery-themed stamp rally for the Steampunk theme but we couldn't get it off the ground. I think our folks at Stage Zero will fo a great job integrating sports, though, cause they are pumped!

We picked the sports theme to tie into a genre of anime we haven't yet covered (as a well-loved sub-genre of anime, it's pretty nerdy) AND with the 2012 Olympics. For this reason, the characters will actually be depicted in Olympic sport uniforms (swim suits, etc) and Team Fanime track suits as well. Sports each character will represent are tennis (Prince of Tennis), beach volley ball (DOA), soccer (Inazuma Eleven), rythmic gymnastics (Ranma and several other anime feature this sport), and track & field (Battle Athletes). However, any sport is welcome for cosplay and fun! :)

I'm loving some of the suggestions here... especially folklore, Fanime 500 (go, Speedracer!), and under the sea. I'm definitely adding those to the pool of ideas! As for K/J-pop and visual kei.. we did rock/pop music in 2009, so though Visual Kei is more extreme in costuming, those would be too close. Similar thing for Cybergoth. Our cyberpunk theme was actually infused with a bit of gothic lolita style (doing an over-the-top sweet lolita theme would still be valid, though). Pokemon is an actual licensed title, so there would be a very fine legal line to walk between parody and copyright. It's also a very specific thing that people are attached to. I like to keep the themes a bit more generalized. Dolly kei would be neat for a "Fairy Tale" theme, though! To the person who suggested dolls.. though you mention Victorian dolls, a BJD theme IS in my pool of ideas. :) Trying to keep it more closely associated to Asian culture, hence the BJD focus.

Keep the suggestions coming.. I like to brainstorm all year for coming years, and keep a running tab of my favorite ideas in a notepad file. :)
and while it isn't exactly Asian culture, I'm just interested to see if we can mix asian culture into western cartoons.

sidhechild

we should do otherkin for sure!

OtakuMcGreevy

Well, I really liked how last year's Steampunk had a variety of options for both genders, so it'd be cool to do something like that in '12

Admiral Donuts

I think it's an awesome theme. Just wish I still had my many referee jerseys.