Staff Feedback: The good, The bad, The Ugly

Started by Steve.Young, May 31, 2011, 06:09:05 PM

OtakuMcGreevy

For the most part, everyone was really nice, and we didn't have any big problems, but there was one thing with a rover on Saturday, I believe.
So we were on that one balcony eating area on the second floor, and apparently we were sitting where we weren't supposed to. There weren't any signs, so we had no clue we weren't allowed to. But a rover came, told us to get off(which we did right away), and he wrote down our badge numbers and was a bit rude. Later we talked to one of the staff about it, and he said that since it was convention center property, they couldn't put a sign, but he said that the rover wasn't supposed to do that.
Again, it wasn't a huge thing, but it was a bit annoying.

Neffie

I've actually been going to fanime for awhile, most of the time it's pretty good with the staff, however, there are a few bad things, but mostly good. The only times i've had trouble are lost badges, and the volunteer actually ripping my sibling a new one over it (though pretty funny) it wasn't what i wanted to deal with.
i know that nerds have some social awkwardness, but the whole thing was quite silly and unnecessary, also it slowed the line, just having him be oddly mean. this was a pre-order badge, of course. i don't know what was wrong, but it wasn't a good thing to start like that at 1pm on that friday.
Other than that one time, and being shoved out a door by one of the volunteers because someone was almost streaking (and drunk) and the cops were coming, i've found the volunteers to be rather good at what they do.

Tsubasakissu

So, I have heard from quite a few people that this past fanime, that quite a few inexperienced Rovers caused a few problems with people. Well, as a fix, I suggest, since Rover's work it teams, pairing an inexperienced Rover with a seasoned Rover, that way the newer Rover gets experiences and can learn the ropes, and the seasoned Rover can help work as a "check and balance" kinda thing.

Just a thought.

ewu

Thanks for the suggestion. I am relatively certain that for most applications such a scheme is already in effect. However, the conditions and the realities of the convention place staffers in positions that they are not the most experienced in. However, we ask that if you feel that a staffer has not acted in the most upstanding manner, that you note their badge number and we will look into the situation.

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on December 01, 2011, 09:53:19 PM
So, I have heard from quite a few people that this past fanime, that quite a few inexperienced Rovers caused a few problems with people. Well, as a fix, I suggest, since Rover's work it teams, pairing an inexperienced Rover with a seasoned Rover, that way the newer Rover gets experiences and can learn the ropes, and the seasoned Rover can help work as a "check and balance" kinda thing.

Just a thought.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Dagger-6

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on December 01, 2011, 09:53:19 PM

Just a thought.

This is a great idea, and we actually tried to implement it last year whenever possible.  However, the ratio of experienced folks to newer people doesn't always work out and the number of Rovers who regularly practice Rover-like work outside of once a year is even slimmer.  General operations often takes a hit as rovers with experience are pulled for high stress jobs, notably working the dance, or get pulled into management positions.

To their credit, first timers did a great job from what I heard and we now have that many more experienced folks to draw upon.  However, Murphys Law states that we will never get the ideal ratio of new and experienced teams.  Until then, we use our radios and organizational skills to make sure we can quickly move experienced people to where they are needed, and we continue to improve our training to ensure our wonderful new volunteers feel prepared to do great things.

We also continue to monitor and appreciate the feedback from the Fanime community and will continue to try to implement training to ensure our Rovers help to make your Fanime experience an enjoyable one, even while enforcing rules and regulations that may be an annoyance at times.  We continue to encourage attendees to note badge numbers and names (and I'll push for Rovers to develop SOPs of clear
Y identifying themselves bettter) so we can identify potential issues.  While I agree the job is stressful, I also agree wholeheartedly that Rovers need to be held to a higher standard.

Any views expressed are personal and do not reflect Fanime, Rover policy, etc.

-Daniel Yuan
Rover graveyard shift lead, 2011