Arrgh, Mariott. (Deposit issues)

Started by Mango Bunny, May 31, 2011, 09:46:06 PM

Mango Bunny

So I have NO money in my account now. Well, actually negative 16 dollars. Why?

So Mariott charged or put a hold on the 365.18 for room and deposit. I asked at the desk "how much will this be?" and "This is for the room -and- deposit, right?" So great, fine. "This will be the full payment, so you know" she said. Alright.

So then they charged 307 today. So I thought I had paid for the entire room and the deposit, with the assumption I'd get the deposit back and bam bam. Done. Because that's what they'd said.

Darnit. Now i need to call the bank and stuff.

Anyone else have issues like this? I called and asked what the deposit would be "50" was what I got once, and "50 per night" was another. Either would have been fine, but.... Umm... This sucks. I didn't know they'd be taking 700-something dollars from me, nor do I remember this actually happening before. Unless I was rollin' in dough then and it didn't really matter that much. Hmm.

Just curious, because I feel somewhat peeved and also a bit dumb, like I missed something really big.

Btw, otherwise the Mariott rocked, as usual. They got us where we wanted to be floor-wise and were very nice.

Mod edit: subject

heeroyuy135

I don't know how I did it, but I negotiated with the Marriott to not charge me the $50 a night for incidentals. That brought the room total from $600 to $460, the original total I was quoted for plus valet parking. It was interesting that they charged me in the first place as a debit card even though technically it's a credit card but through a credit union. I'll probably need a talk with them soon.

I'm used for them at least charging me upon check-out and without these incidentals for the past three FanimeCons prior. I wonder if all the hotels are tightening their policies around convention time because I couldn't get away with this at the Fairmont.

My stay was also great too. Good location, great service, and a great view of con.

Mango Bunny

I just thought the deposit was 50/night, so I assumed that the total they told me (which was 400-something) was going to be correct, not two charges that were almost 700. What bothers me is I confirmed it a few times, and even with the higher answers I was still cool with it. I just wasn't expecting the full stay + extra and then ANOTHER charge for the full stay. I thought the Fairmont only did that. I'm calling them tomorrow in hopes of some sort of help. It could have been a mistake, I'm fine with that. As long as my finances aren't really messed up and if they did make a mistake they fix my problems. It's just troublesome because now I have negative monies.

FanFicGuru

Don't worry, this is normal.

What happened is they charged you the actual cost of the room MINUS deposit just now. The other charge that includes the 50/night deposit WILL DROP from your account in the next business day or two.

If it doesn't sort itself out by Friday, call your bank. But this seems normal.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

KyraEnsui

The Hilton does this too and I am waiting for them to drop that deposit off of my friend's card since I underestimate their deposit charges. At check-out, I used my card to pay so I assumed that they already drop it.

=( I feel so bad that she can't use her card until it is gone.

Junon

The Hilton refunded the full $550 back to me for the 3 days, and then took back out, $400. They jacked $150 for a few days for deposit. I barely got it back today.

weirderraindrop

I was a bit surprised that they were charging 150$ extra this year, we had two people helping us though. The second lady didn't charge the extra amount so I guess I got lucky! Hope this gets worked out for you. :(

Mango Bunny

It got worked out, but it was pretty bummer being out 700-whatever rather than the 450 with the deposit I expected.

What really bothered me if that I checked so many times and never got the right response apparently.  That being said, I'll still go back.

Kiara

We reserved the room on a card, but then paid in cash when we got there. Paying in cash allowed us to avoid the entire deposit fiasco, they only charged us the money for the room itself. So... apparently, pay in cash! xD

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

SpiritOfKairi

Fact is if you pay with a card the hotel is going to tack on extra fees initially for a security deposit.  The Hilton charged me $50/night more, but it was refunded when they finalized the charge.  You just need to make sure you have enough for the room and some before checking in.  Or, as the previous poster suggested, maybe cash wouldn't be a bad way to go (though I'm pretty sure if you mess up the room you will have to fork more over at check-out).