Suggestions for Fanime 2012

Started by mdarkpoet, May 30, 2011, 01:08:49 PM

azreale

PLEASE keep the masquerade and ball on DIFFERENT nights!
thats all i really want...
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

mdarkpoet

I just came back to say... THANKS FOR PINNING MY THREAD!  ;D

It made me all happy-like XD

HotelGhost

Quote from: HotelGhost on February 03, 2012, 02:23:02 PMAre we ever going to use the south hall for events? Someone in staff said there were problems about holding events in it, did they ever get resolved?
QuoteWe have ideas for South Hall events this year, but they are still in the works (not confirmed). Some of the issues that we have is that we would have to shut down events at a certain hour and the walk way to get there isn't convenient.

I don't want to sound like an dumbass, If it's not too much to ask can, can I please ask what those issues are?

Why would you have to shut down events?

What are the ideas staff has for it?

It's been a while, so has anything been confirmed?

And is it really THAT inconvenient? It's kind of just right there, people park there all the time.

Sorry for asking and sounding like a kid that goes MOMMY WHY DOES THIS WORK WHY DOES THAT WORK  :)

lonemeditater

I know this probably get's brought up a lot, but boffer would be really awesome.
I'm me and I exist...

Michi

This has been brought up, but I want to add my voice to it as I feel like it's very important.

Separate lines for one-day badges. My boyfriend showed up to the con in the early afternoon on Saturday, and wasted more than 2 hours in line when he only had that day to be at the con. If a person only has one day, they should be in line for their actual ticket/badge for as little time as possible! Long lines for full weekend passes are understandable, and there's tons more time to enjoy the con. But I was very upset that my boyfriend had to spend such a big chunk of the day in line instead of hanging out!

I also hope to see returns of printed schedules, or at least pocket schedules. I have a smart phone now, but I didn't last year, so I was stuck without a schedule all weekend. It really put a damper on my con, and I usually love Fanime!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

otakuya

^ To add, I'd like there to be an "express" line for at-con reg (mainly because I don't know what day I'll be attending)

WuvMilo

I agree with a separate line for One Day Passes/Badges because some people could only go for one day due to gas expense, hotel's expenses, or some other reason where people might want to save as much money as possible to buy food, anime items, and such at Fanime.   

Gigantor

I'm not sure, but aren't a majority of the people in the lines on Saturday and etc getting one day passes to begin with? The attendance on the weekend is higher than during Friday or Monday.

People who pre-reg have a separate line that they can go through already and on the Fanime side of things (in my opinion having attended for a long time) it makes more traffic flow sense to have all at-con registration just go through one line cause they are all trying to get through as fast as possible to begin with.

Sylversun

Perhaps it has been suggested or address.. I did look to see if it was here or not...

Last year I attended a con on the East coast and they had an awesome scheduling solution. Well for those of us with smart phones anyway. There is a Guidebook app that will allow you to down load schedules of various events and there are even updates or changes that can be done to the schedule that same day. This con did it all, video, pannels, balls, etc... It all got into the guide book. The neat thing about it is also that you can select something and put it on your schedule and it would send you reminders when that program started. I was also able to select things that I wanted to maybe look up at home if I was not able to see it at con.

I highly recommend this app. That saves from printing a lot of schedules for everyone. I know there are people without smart phones that would still need resources but this one would at least eliminate the need for most of the population.

And no I don't work for or am I affiliated with this app I just think its a great thing to have for a convention of such size.

kookiekween99

Quote from: Sylversun on April 16, 2012, 12:01:09 PM
Perhaps it has been suggested or address.. I did look to see if it was here or not...

Last year I attended a con on the East coast and they had an awesome scheduling solution. Well for those of us with smart phones anyway. There is a Guidebook app that will allow you to down load schedules of various events and there are even updates or changes that can be done to the schedule that same day. This con did it all, video, pannels, balls, etc... It all got into the guide book. The neat thing about it is also that you can select something and put it on your schedule and it would send you reminders when that program started. I was also able to select things that I wanted to maybe look up at home if I was not able to see it at con.

I highly recommend this app. That saves from printing a lot of schedules for everyone. I know there are people without smart phones that would still need resources but this one would at least eliminate the need for most of the population.

And no I don't work for or am I affiliated with this app I just think its a great thing to have for a convention of such size.

Last year, they didn't print out schedules, thinking everyone could look them up using smart phones. There was a huge backlash from attendees, and it was a huge fiasco.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Sylversun

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 16, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
Last year, they didn't print out schedules, thinking everyone could look them up using smart phones. There was a huge backlash from attendees, and it was a huge fiasco.

THe difference is that was through the website as far as I was able to find. The app would be different AND I said printing it for EVERYONE. I do point out that there would still be a need for that resource but maybe not so much as if they didn't have the app.

Gigantor

Quote from: Sylversun on April 16, 2012, 12:34:17 PM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 16, 2012, 12:08:47 PM

THe difference is that was through the website as far as I was able to find. The app would be different AND I said printing it for EVERYONE. I do point out that there would still be a need for that resource but maybe not so much as if they didn't have the app.

While a guidebook application is very convenient and I have been to a convention that uses a guidebook app as well, the main problem is that not everyone has the download capabilities and sometimes the resources spent aren't worth the reward especially since it would require additional staff to run and keep the apps updated.

The website they used last year was optimized for mobile viewing and all in all it worked very well for me since I was able to track everything. In my own opinion I don't think the guidebook app offers any advantages over having the information available from a database displayed via browser, its essentially the exact same as an app, just minus the download.

There will always be a few people who do not need a printed schedule, and in general I just download the .pdfs to my phone before the convention starts and then I have the whole schedule anyways. But the effort put into maintaining an app that only a fraction of the people would utilize may not be worth the time and effort.

Nina Star 9

I also have a feeling that lot of people with smartphones would be grabbing printed schedules anyway, so if they printed fewer, that would leave those of us without smartphones without a schedule again. I can't speak to how well the schedules worked on smartphones last year or the need for an app, considering that I do not have a smartphone.

Wasn't the lack of schedules last year due to a printing issue and not to the assumption that everyone at the con has a smartphone, anyway? At least, that's what I heard.

M

We tried not printing schedules and that wasn't received well at all (we ended up printing schedules on Thursday night - see point 2 below). :( Thankfully, we learn from our mistakes and specifically we learned two things: 1) What Nina Star 9 says is true - even people with smartphones will want a printed schedule and 2) Printers don't like printing anything (specifically schedules :P) nonstop Thursday night of the convention. =X
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Yuu

Please, PLEASE ease- up on harassing attendees about peacebonding.

I love Fanime more than any other con but the constant harassment ruined the entire weekend
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Sylversun

Quote from: Gigantor on April 16, 2012, 11:25:50 PM

While a guidebook application is very convenient and I have been to a convention that uses a guidebook app as well, the main problem is that not everyone has the download capabilities and sometimes the resources spent aren't worth the reward especially since it would require additional staff to run and keep the apps updated.

The website they used last year was optimized for mobile viewing and all in all it worked very well for me since I was able to track everything. In my own opinion I don't think the guidebook app offers any advantages over having the information available from a database displayed via browser, its essentially the exact same as an app, just minus the download.

There will always be a few people who do not need a printed schedule, and in general I just download the .pdfs to my phone before the convention starts and then I have the whole schedule anyways. But the effort put into maintaining an app that only a fraction of the people would utilize may not be worth the time and effort.

Not sure which one you used it for but the one I used for Otakon let me actually create a calendar of my schedule which I found to be extremely helpful. It also had a description of what the anime was and what the pannel was about and so on so you got all that information in one place instead of getting the schedules and then having to google the anime to see what it was about.

Not to mention that when changes needed to be made then they appeared on any updates that were done to the schedule. Which alerted me to changes in programming so I didn't miss anything I really wanted to see.