St. Claire
Fairmont
Crowne Plaza
Ramada
Doubletree
Hotel DeAnza (Late Add On)
Other-Please Note in Message Body

BenihimeSama

So as always we like to have a survey of where you stayed and what you liked and disliked!! Keep in mind that this will help us con-goers next year!

Please Use the following Format:

Hotel Name:
Would You Book Next Year:
Pros:
Cons:
Special Notes to Share:

Thanks all!
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

BenihimeSama

Hotel Name:St Claire!

Would You Book Next Year: Heck YAH!

Pros: I'm right in the center of all the convention fun stuff! If I step out, to my left I can go to the Fairmont Events, to my left and across the street I am open to the rest of the convention as well as the Civic Center

Cons: The bed is firm, and the pillows are too soft, but I brought my own pillow, so I was okay.

Special Notes to Share: IT HAD A FRIDGE AND IT WORKED!!! The internet is a little slow, but understandable that everyone was on it. What is also awesome is that the hotel holds your stuff when you check out, and they have seperate room that is locked for security! It's pretty awesome. The hotel is just everything I need and want in a convention hotel, I hope they keep the con rate at what they have, so next year I can book again!
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

KawaiianPunch

Hotel Name: Mariott

Would You Book Next Year: Yes

Pros: Pretty much everything. Nothing particularly special or standout, but the customer service was really good.

Cons: Small rooms. Lack of mini fridge. No biggie though since we had a cooler. Free WiFi in the lobby, but not in hotel rooms? Was I doing something wrong here?

Special Notes to Share: Was really awesome having a smooth hotel check in, as well as not having to deal with a huge depost/credit card hold and obnoxious staff like I did at the Fairmont for two years prior. Elevator situation wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, and being connected to the convention center itself was a huge convenience.

Mango Bunny

Hotel Name: Marriott

Would You Book Next Year: Certainly. I've stayed the past.... 5 cons?

Pros: Super nice, efficient, comfortable rooms, SUPER COMFY BEDS, great room, hallways weren't too noisy, right at the con center, right by the panels

Cons: Low shower pressure, and my friend  thought the water temp was too cold, and that weird number print they have framed in every room. I really hate that picture.

Special Notes to Share: They were extremely accommodating in our special requests and got us into the just PERFECT room for our needs. They were patient with the fact we repeatedly checked on the room as well. They gave us options. It was an incredibly easy stay. The few times I took the elevator it wasn't actually that bad either. I know people have problems, and I have in the past, but it was pretty easy this year. I did take the stairs most of the time. I liked being able to cruise by the panels on my way down.

Konekogami

Hotel Name: Fairmont
Would You Book Next Year: YES! With the fury of a thousand burning suns YEEEEEEEEEES

Pros: For one thing, the hotel is GORGEOUS. The rooms are huge, mine had a double bed, dresser, flat screen tv, couch, chair, and desk.  There's a vanity with lighting and a magnification mirror for applying makeup, ample closet space, the bathroom is also a major plus, the shower and bath are separate, there's actual floor space, and the toilet is behind a separate sliding door.  They also provide bathrobes.  Other pros? The elevators are FAST (well except on checkout) also the Bijan Bakery is right next door, delicious and BEAUTIFUL sweets.  For a pretty fair price too.   The staff was also, in my experience very friendly and accommodating.

Cons: To some, the Fairmont may be considered "far away" but really it's not that much of a walk, I enjoyed it in fact.  Also when I say the elevators are fast, I mean they're FAST. I could literally feel my body being pushed down when I went up, and each time I was on, my ears popped.  No mini fridge, though you can rent one for $25 a day. (just get a cooler :p) also, I didn't have to deal with it, but apparently parking is EXPENSIVE.  Best to find another place to park your car.

Special Notes to Share: 1. Beware the mini-bar/refreshment center. It's automated and if you move anything you WILL BE CHARGED.  It happened to me once, but they waived the fee without question when I told them I had just moved things to see what they were.
2. I thoroughly recommend joining their President's Club. There are different levels, but even the basic (aka FREE) package will get you perks.  For example you get free internet (instead of paying a fee) and you get to have your own line for check in and check out.  

KyraEnsui

Hotel Name: Hilton
Would You Book Next Year: Definitely Yes.

Pros: Half priced parking! (though they didn't charge us at all throughout the weekend) Mini-fridge. Starbucks. Very easy check-in and check-out. Pool and spa.

Cons: The mini-fridge in our room took so long to cool our drinks. Their big bathroom doors swing wide and no hang bars to hang anything. Our TV didn't want to connect to my laptop when I had all the cables.

Special Notes to Share: Very accommodating when I asked for the 3rd floor. I have a friend who has a very bad knee so she can't walk up the stairs too much.

Freight

Hotel Name:  Hilton

Would You Book Next Year:  Absolutely

Pros:  Quality Linen; Mini-Fridge; Easy-to-use TV hookups for PC/gaming; Spacious room and bathroom

Cons:  No cabinet to store snacks

Special Notes to Share:  The front desk staff were very patient and helpful.  They put all of my rooms on the same floor... across the hall from each other, actually.  My only real gripe came from other anime fans running and screaming up and down the hallway after 10:00 p.m. and vomiting in the plants.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Freight on June 02, 2011, 11:30:48 AM

Pros:  Quality Linen; Mini-Fridge; Easy-to-use TV hookups for PC/gaming; Spacious room and bathroom

Special Notes to Share:  The front desk staff were very patient and helpful.  They put all of my rooms on the same floor... across the hall from each other, actually.  My only real gripe came from other anime fans running and screaming up and down the hallway after 10:00 p.m. and vomiting in the plants.

Were you on floor 4 too? I had the worst experience ever because of just about everyone else on my floor...

Our fridge barely got cold at all, so they gave us another one which also didn't get cold. As for snacks we kept ours in the dresser drawers, those things are super deep and we got everything in one drawer.

Nemuren

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 02, 2011, 11:36:59 AM
Quote from: Freight on June 02, 2011, 11:30:48 AM

Were you on floor 4 too? I had the worst experience ever because of just about everyone else on my floor...

Our fridge barely got cold at all, so they gave us another one which also didn't get cold. As for snacks we kept ours in the dresser drawers, those things are super deep and we got everything in one drawer.

My group was on Floor 4 of the Hilton too. I only remember the yelling being a big problem the first night, though maybe we were too exhausted and slept right through it.

My only issue with the room was that the AC did not work very well for us. We had it cranked as low as it could go all weekend, but the room never got very cold. And since there were times all 4 of us were busy putting on cosplays, some more ventilation would've helped. Also, I was surprised and disappointed the bathroom had no ventilation fan of its own.

Freight

Yup, we were on the 4th.

Every night was some yelling and racing up and down the hall.  It was pretty irritating since we were working so hard to keep our voices down after 9:30 and still have fun.  Every time we were fed up, we were about to call and the sound vanished.  It was like a 90's heist film:

"We have 2 minutes to freak before they're on to us!  Aaaaaaannnnnnd... go!"

We had some trouble with the AC on Day 0 until we turned the fan from "AUTO" to "HIGH" and that was solved. 

The cabinet is more of a preference.  I actually claimed the dresser for my clothes and bought/won items, so it was taken, too... and we had a LOT of snackage.

Overall, the Hilton has my respect.  It does well in a stressful environment.

Kyra_Maverick

This was the first year I had any issues with the Hilton, and I'm likely to stay there next year too, but man... My roommates went and cussed out whoever was having the party Friday night. They were 3 doors down and sounded like they were right next door. These guys were obviously drunk and tried to invite my friends in for the party, even though they were in their pajamas and giving them death glares.

There was a party on Thursday night too, but when asked to be quite they did and even came by to apologize the next morning. One of them was dressed as a character from Princess Jellyfish. If you're reading this thanks again for being so considerate. 

I walked by a guy who looked like he was having a bad acid trip waiting for the elevator. Curled up under the table and hyperventilating. He jumped when I asked if he was okay and wouldn't answer me.

Someone left a burrito on the table one day when I was headed down, and when I came back up someone else had thrown it all over the foyer for the elevators.

Even people on other floors knew how bad it was. My boyfriend ended up riding the elevator all the way up then back down on Monday for check out, and when it stopped on 4 everyone groaned and said 'What the hell is wrong with this floor? It's a new noise and mess every day.' Apparently we rivaled the 7th floor who had people puking out the windows.

However there was the most adorable little girl staying in the room next to mine. She was dressed as a Little Sister from Bioshock and was such a sweetheart.

All the staff were super nice and very accommodating. They all seemed to have fun looking at the cosplay and seemed genuinely interested in the whole affair. 

acostory

Would You Book Next Year: Absolutely
Pros: Very nice and spacious hotel rooms. There was enough room for approximately 10 of my friends to chill during the day, and there was more than enough room for 3 of us to sleep during the night. The bathroom was very lovely, and the vanity mirror came in handy for wig styling and con-prep. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating, and even let my mum check in when she was still travelling to the convention. Overall, it was a very nice stay; better than last year, I might say.
Cons: There are only three big things that stand out. One is that we asked for two rooms next to each other, and we got them in completely different halls. I'm glad they were on the same floor, but they even told us they were a room apart. Another is the fact that room service was slow Saturday morning and it made us late to the convention by almost an hour. The third and final problem is that the hallways smelled like marijuana. Again. I have friends who stayed on the same floor last year, and the same hallways, same rooms, same floor, smelled of weed. It was not fun.
Special Notes to Share: I liked having most of the shops on the street behind us. It was definitely helpful to have Johnny Rocket's, Subway, Walgreen's, and Ross not too far away.

Melly

Quote from: acostory on June 02, 2011, 04:21:27 PM
The third and final problem is that the hallways smelled like marijuana. Again. I have friends who stayed on the same floor last year, and the same hallways, same rooms, same floor, smelled of weed. It was not fun.

Crowne Plaza had that problem too.

and one of the rooms/floors at the Marriott.

DEAR POT HEADS. - SMOKE YOUR WEED OUTSIDE D<

Hotel Name: Hilton
Would You Book Next Year: yeah 8D
Pros: mini fridge, nice shower, staff was great. gave me and a friend directions around Downtown whenever we needed it.
Cons: it wasnt a problem for my but my grandma /otl/ complained about lack of towels. and for me; for some reason the bathroom makes my skin look REALLY red. (i was soaking my feet and they looked like i had some weird disease that made my foot like SUPER bloody D:;;)
Special Notes to Share: i LOVE the super magnified mirror the hilton has in the bathroom <3 it's like the best mirror ever :D

Amanojaku

Would You Book Next Year: Yes, if Hilton and Mariott are full
Pros: Really nice quality room, clean, not as crowded elevator situation as hilton and mariott
Cons: A bit of a walk from the con, staff at desk seemed kind of smug.
Special Notes to Share: My main priority is convenience, and while the Fairmont rooms are nicer than the Hilton and Mariott, I really would have taken a lesser room to be attached to the convention center.  That being said, if I do have to stay somewhere with a walk, I'd take the Fairmont over any of the other non-attached hotels.  I've stayed at them all over the years.

FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

obliviousedward

Hotel Name: Crowne Plaza

Would You Book Next Year: Yes!

Pros: Quiet atmosphere, wonderful and polite hotel staff, comfortable beds, clean room, lots of cabinet space for me and my friends to place our stuff, no crowded elevators, within walking distance of many eateries, relatively cheap Wi-Fi, discounted parking!

Cons: The handle on the bathroom faucet came off at one point (we screwed it back on, lol); was given a double-bedded room instead of one with a king-size bed and sofabed like we'd booked (we had no huge preference in any case, but it was still a mix-up); no mini fridge in the room (wasn't necessary since we brought a cooler, but it was a little perk my friends and I were hoping to have since we'd gotten one in our room the year before at the same hotel)

Special Notes to Share: In all, I really do like the Crowne Plaza due to its location and its atmosphere.  It's never overcrowded in the way I've seen it at the Hilton and the Marriot, particularly around the elevators.  My friends and I have stayed there for the past three years and we've never been disturbed during the night.  (Whether it's luck on our part so far I don't know, lol.)  One thing to note is that the outside doors to the hotel are locked from 6:00pm to 6:00am; if you want to get into the hotel between that time period you have to have your room key card to unlock the doors.  Don't ever forget your room key and get locked out!  You never know how long it will take before someone will come around to let you in. XD
Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

michibeloved

Hotel Name: Doubletree
Would You Book Next Year: Maybe
Pros: Free internet for the weekend, the staff was super nice, the rooms were amazing, free shuttle.
Cons: Far from the con and the free shuttle took forever to pick us up and couldn't hold many people.
Special Notes to Share: I really do love this hotel. It is further then the rest, however it's cheaper and can be worth it. The only thing that kind of ruined it was how annoying it got waiting for a shuttle.

AngelWings

Hotel name: Fairmont
Would you book next year: Yes
Pros: Away from the Con enough that generally there are no noise issues. Fast elevators, accommodating staff, convenient to food, presidents club= free wifi, spacious rooms, key card access only after dark (the south tower is particularly secure), and very centrally located if interested in the b&w ball so no walking around in your fancy outfit outside.
Cons: about six minutes away walking depending on the lights, get stopped by people asking if there's an event going on, expensive parking (though the guys that work in the garage are awesome), bellhops can take a while..... no fridge

heeroyuy135

Would You Book Next Year: Marriott or Hilton
Pros: Very comfortable beds, actually a bit too comfortable to the point where I slept in Monday morning and missed the Momoi Q&A. Very friendly staff especially the front desk who helped me through my situation of the incidental charges and hooked me up in the end.
Cons: THE ELEVATORS. Also no complimentary internet with the room this year, but I had a backup plan.
Special Notes to Share: As much as I've been booking at the Marriott for the past 4 years, I might try the Hilton next year. We'll see if the prices are the same before making said decision, and I do like the self-parking price for the Hilton versus the Marriott's valet parking.

Xeluu

Would You Book Next Year: I'm planning on it.
Pros: I was in a junior suite, the room was very spacious, the miniature seating area/sofa bed were a nice touch, and the layout of the room was very nice. (I was finishing a cosplay in it on Friday.)
Cons: Elevators as usual, so I just took the stairs. No lock on the bathroom, safe is small, so I had to angle my laptop to make it fit.
Special Notes to Share: I've stayed here the past few years, but have always been happy. Requested a low floor and they gave me the 8th (o_O Really? That's a a low floor?), went back down and asked if it was possible to get a lower floor (I'm a rewards member with them) since I'd be carrying a large prop up and down the stairs to help with the elevator situation. They moved us down to the 5th floor.

Only other "issue" was the idiots who pulled the fire alarm around 12-12:30 on Sunday evening/Monday morning. Had never seen the bay doors to the elevators close, so it was quite the surprise. (I was standing waiting for the elevator at the time.)

The Marriott is my hotel of choice, simply due to the location, and when I visited a friend at the Hilton a few years back the hallways and rooms just seemed too dark. If it wasn't for the distance though, I'd try the Fairmont.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Mi Feng

Hotel Name: Doubletree
Would You Book Next Year: Nope
Pros:
Free Internet
not crowded
close to store like Target/grocery stores
easy access to car
Free shuttle
Pool and Hot Tub were very nice
Cookies~
Clean and Spacious rooms
Good Price
Cons:
LOCATION! 8 huge blocks away
Shuttle - see notes
$5 Dollar water (I think this relevant to all hotels)
Special Notes to Share: Absolutely hated the shuttle; people would cut, there would be a long wait, we had to wait in the rain at some point and absolutely no room for props. I wish they would run at least 2 shuttles. Because of the shuttle dilemma I honestly won't be returning to the Doubletree. I'm hoping to get a room at the Fairmont for 2012.