Fairmont
Crowne Plaza
Ramada
Doubletree
Hotel DeAnza (Late Add On)
Other-Please Note in Message Body

Persona

Hotel Name: Marriott
Would You Book Next Year: Possibly, if I needed to stay at a hotel again.
Pros: Close to con for easy resting, a very decent room (floor 23), room service was delicious.
Cons: We were in a room that was part of a mini suite (meaning we had separate doors which led to a shared door that could be closed), which meant that the noise was pretty loud when they had people over.
Special Notes to Share: Honestly, the elevators were not terrible for us, but we only used it at certain times of day and we didn't have giant bags with us, nor were we in cosplay. So I guess the trick there is to only go back to the room when you really need to and prepare well for the rest of the day.

mdarkpoet

My stay at the Fairmont was pretty meh to be honest. Here's my review

Good:
Check-in and check-out was pretty painless this year
Costs were what I expected
No fire alarms pulled, no loud noises
Fanime-themed key cards

Now on to the bad:
Bellhops (no help whatsoever, we waited for almost 15 minutes after asking politely when we'd get some help for an actual response)
Bedbugs (got mad bedbugs and bites in the bed, the bites were all over my body after the first night)
Staff (called the staff below with questions and comments, including informing them of the bed, they were very rude and offered no help)
The room itself wasn't as nice as the rooms I've stayed in over the Fanime years
No hot tub in the pool area T___T, last year the Marriott had one which is great for soaking a sore Fanime body, no luck with Fairmont (sad, sad face)

All in all I rate it a 2/5, I'm never staying there again. I'd rather stay at the Marriott and have the fire alarm pulled to be honest.

Konekogami

o_o Sorry you had such crappy luck, for me the Fairmont was amazing, the staff was polite and helpful, the room was large, spacious, and clean, and not a single bite.

Tsu

Quote from: Melly on June 02, 2011, 06:10:03 PM
Quote from: acostory on June 02, 2011, 04:21:27 PM
The third and final problem is that the hallways smelled like marijuana. Again. I have friends who stayed on the same floor last year, and the same hallways, same rooms, same floor, smelled of weed. It was not fun.

Crowne Plaza had that problem too.

and one of the rooms/floors at the Marriott.

DEAR POT HEADS. - SMOKE YOUR WEED OUTSIDE D<

Ouch. If something like that happens again, call the front desk ASAP. I'm sure considering they're supposed to be non-smoking and pot's illegal that they would've gladly sent someone up to deal with it. Hell, there were people at my hotel calling security just for noise complaints and they were more than happy to comply. Security came up and roved around until they found the problem.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Melly

Quote from: foester on June 04, 2011, 02:50:59 AM
Quote from: Melly on June 02, 2011, 06:10:03 PM
Quote from: acostory on June 02, 2011, 04:21:27 PM
The third and final problem is that the hallways smelled like marijuana. Again. I have friends who stayed on the same floor last year, and the same hallways, same rooms, same floor, smelled of weed. It was not fun.

Crowne Plaza had that problem too.

and one of the rooms/floors at the Marriott.

DEAR POT HEADS. - SMOKE YOUR WEED OUTSIDE D<

Ouch. If something like that happens again, call the front desk ASAP. I'm sure considering they're supposed to be non-smoking and pot's illegal that they would've gladly sent someone up to deal with it. Hell, there were people at my hotel calling security just for noise complaints and they were more than happy to comply. Security came up and roved around until they found the problem.

i probably would of, but i wasn't staying at those hotels :/ which kinda doesn't give me the right to report it you know D:?

kohana ichibana

Hotel Name: St. Claire
Would You Book Next Year: If Marriot or Hilton are taken already.
Pros: Mini Fridge, Free Wifi in rooms, Only $50 a night deposit, they let me check in at 10am rather than 3pm, very nice staff good location. Our room was right in front of the elevator.
Cons: There was no lock on the bathroom :/ our towels were not changed, I had to go ask them about it. They didn't tell us they take the full price of the hotel and the deposit at the same time. It wasn't an issue but it gave us a scare. Elevators were small and so was the room.
Special Notes to Share: It wasn't a bad stay overall.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

abcbadcat

Hotel Name: Fairmont (2nd time in 5 years)

Would You Book Next Year: Yes (Only if the Hilton/Marriott is full first)

Pros: Very luxurious hotel with lots of space in the rooms, a great bar, and not completely packed elevators (sans the last day).

Cons: Not being connected to the con and having to walk. Walking is fine but if I want to be "at fanime" I want to say "at fanime." The only ACTUAL con would have been the fluctuating water temperature. I would want hot water and it would go cold then go into warm then into HOT. It was frustrating.

Special Notes to Share: We had a VERY long hallway from the front door to our room to where the bathroom/closet were. We easily could have fit another 2-3 people there. It was pretty awesome.

luckyrainbow

Hotel Name: Fairmont
Would You Book Next Year: Most definitely will be!!!
Pros: OMG ROOM SPACE!!! Large bathroom with seperate toilet door and a vanity area ^-^ made it easy for multiple people getting into cosplay. Very nice staff, at least those that I dealt with were super nice. Save for check out time, no elevator traffic. Very close to a lot of food places and a movie theater. The Fanime hotel keys!!
Cons: High Incidental Fees -__-
Special Notes to Share: The walk from the con to the hotel was only a few minutes and even really late at night I felt pretty safe walking to and from the hotel. The girl we had at check in was very very very patient and understanding with me when I had to call my friends multiple times to get someone to help with the hotel fees due to not knowing what they were beforehand (My fault for not calling ahead). My group had been at the Mariott for the 2 years previous and we were very happy with the space we had in the room it made us feel less cluttered and more relaxed when we came to sleep, we could've fit a couple more people in there as well. We were also very happy with the uncrowded elevators ^-^. We had A LOT more positive experiences and such with this hotel, but I don't want to blabber for forever.

Charis

Would You Book Next Year: yes (we're looking at the Fairmont for next year, but it's not because the Marriott was necessarily bad)
Pros: Good-sized rooms, convenient to con, cooperative staff.  We managed to get the bill split between multiple cards, which made things more convenient, and they let my friends check in early when they got on site earlier than I would.  Hot tub (once we finally made it there!) was marvellous.
Cons: Elevators were much better than previous years but still not good, though that's more the fault of attendees than others.  A line isn't that difficult of a concept, people; would it kill you to let those who've been waiting longer than you go first?  Honestly, that was probably my biggest complaint.  I also wish the bellhops had let us take the cart instead of insisting they bring it.  Asked for a low-floor room earlier and got put on the 8th -- and we checked in around 11am, to be told all the rooms had already been assigned and they couldn't change it.  8th =/= low.  (I managed to avoid having to go up the stairs, which is good 'cause it probably would've killed me dead, but roomies weren't so lucky.)
Special Notes to Share: We managed to miss the worst of the elevator snafus (I heard two of them were down for a couple of hours?), so I'm not sure how that would've impacted the elevator status.  Looking at the Fairmont next year because of the space and the lack of elevator traffic -- which probably wouldn't be so much of an issue without cosplay -- but probably wouldn't mind the Marriott again.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

ININ

Hotel Name: Hilton

Would You Book Next Year: Yes because it's one of the cheaper hotels.

Pros: High shower pressure, refrigerator, easy access to stairs, no elevator problems, parking cheaper than con, late night room service for extra towels reasonably fast.

Cons: None significant to mention.

Special Notes to Share:  Timing is everything.  I heard drama from congoers as I walked the stairs.  One person was crying.

mariotheotaku

Would You Book Next Year: Yes, but...(See Special Notes)
Pros: Big rooms, friendly service and staff, fast non-crowded elevators, large bathroom, nice comfy beds.
Cons: no fridge, no coffee pot in my room(last year it had one but I probably could have asked for one)
Special Notes to Share: I been going to Fanime for 2 years now and I been staying at the Fairmont all the time but next year I want to try the Hilton or Marriot if rooms are available. I carry quite a bit of photography gear and I can't carry a backpack because of my camera's strap gets on the way and I want to be able to drop all my purchases from the AA and the DR somewhere close by instead of having to run all the way to the Fairmont. Other than that I would love to stay at the Fairmont again next year.

raltga

Hotel: Marriott
Book Again: Yes (stayed there ever since the con moved to San Jose and wouldn't stay anywhere else)
Pros: Price, location, TV hook ups.
Cons: No room fridge

Bring back the room keys next year!  This was a great addition. :D

CobaltTempest

Hotel Name: Doubletree
Would You Book Next Year: Only if the hotels near the Convention Center have been booked by the time I decide to make my reservation.
Pros: Inexpensive
        Free Internet and TV access and printing (especially helpful due to a lack of a printed schedule)
        Within walking distance of various restaurants such as Denny's and McDonald's and the Metro
        Spacious rooms (Able to fit 10 with little or no difficulty)   
        Free shuttle/Metro ticket (see notes)
        Complimentary cookies and coffee           
Cons: Distance from the Convention Center
         Infrequent shuttle service especially during the late afternoon and evening
Special Notes to Share: For my first hotel stay for a convention, I felt that the Doubletree had nice accommodations and features. It was the shuttle that really irks me. There were even points where some of us had to take tokens for an all-day Metro ticket if we wanted to get to the convention as soon as possible instead of waiting for the next shuttle. However, one of my roommates had a slight problem with the token he was given on Day 2 where it would be constantly denied by the ticket machine at the station but was eventually resolved.
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryƫin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

chibidrunksanzo

Would You Book Next Year: Depends on where my other friends are staying.

Pros: Clean hotel, friendly and helpful staff, and I actually liked the short walk to the hotel since I did artist alley and was sitting down most of the day.  Also, when I checked out they told me about (and let me sign up for) their free President's Club so I didn't have to pay for internet usage.

Cons: Having to pay the entire bill plus a deposit up front with no warning.  Please see the special notes section.

Special Notes to Share:
I've been going to conventions since 1998.  I can say pretty confidently that the "entire stay plus deposit" policy is not standard practice at hotels. Last year I was at the St. Claire, which doesn't charge like that, so I really had no reason to expect it this year.

I want to be clear, I have no problem with the hotel having this policy.  They've probably been burned before.  But in the entire booking process there wasn't even a hint of it.  I had no reason to call about a possible deposit, since the confirmation e-mail said "Deposit Policy: Credit Card Guarantee or Check Deposit of 1 Night's Room & Tax."  I ended up having to call my mom at 11 PM her time to send me some emergency money since my roommates weren't there and hadn't paid me yet, plus we needed an extra $100 per night deposit, and we were staying for five nights.  (We drove in from out of town and didn't want to drive tired.)

xenzii

Hotel Name:
Hilton [Was supposed to be Ramada]
Would You Book Next Year:
HELL YEAH.
Pros:
It may not be close to all the main events, but at least its quieter on the Hilton side. Plus the gaming hall was nearby.
We were able to check in at 10am rather than 3pm with ease!
Bellhop guy was really nice to us!! [I bet he felt awkward seeing a box of cup noodles being brought to our room..]
Bathroom had such beautiful lighting and it was super clean!
Mirror is large and there is a smaller mirror for upclose magnification.
Closet sliding doors have mirrors on them too so you can see your whole body.
King Bed was super comfy with tons of pillows and extra blankets in the closet!
There's a red sofa/chair thing in the room that we let my little cousin sleep on so we didnt have to worry about extra bedding for her.
Having a mini fridge was super nice, especially when we'd come back and be dehydrated.
On Saturday [our first day], we went back downstairs and passed the autograph schedule stand and saw that Yuya was having an autograph session that day *__* if we werent at the Hilton I wouldn't have even known about it!
We got a free night + decided to spend another night at the Hilton so it cost = 116$ for two nights.
Not to mention parking was 9$ but they only charged us one night of parking. :DD
Cons:
Eh...this isn't much of a complaint and it's not the hotel's fault either but our room was supposed to be connected to another room and had a locked door. On one of the nights we were so tired we tried to sleep, but the people next to us were shouting and playing games for a few hours but they eventually stopped LOL.

Special Notes to Share:
The hotel was nice overall with friendly staff and friendly congoers! Elevators weren't a hassle at all.
We were originally booked at the Ramada for Sat-Sun but apparently they were overbooked and gave us a free night at the Hilton as compensation, and I'm super glad that they did! We then had the option of returning back to the ramada or staying at the Hilton and we just stayed at the hilton for its convenience. This was my first time booking a hotel and the Hilton made it super simple for us! I'm definitely staying here again next year.

yukiko_no_niwa

Hotel Name: Hilton
Would You Book Next Year: Most likely.
Pros: Mini fridge, shower pressure was good, had a magnifying mirror for make up, being connected to the center, staff was very helpful (they even gave me a map to all the food places in the area and where Walgrens was at),
Cons: The water was prone to going cold or scalding me if I didn't turn the dial the right way. The elevators on Monday, but it's normal.
Special Notes to Share: When I stayed the first night, I had a bad allergic reaction to the detergent in the sheets. After a day of running around and barely resting in my room, my allergies went away. But when I went back in for a while, they started to come back. So I asked at the desk if they could change the sheets. They did and since then I've had a better time sleeping. Also when I accidentally locked myself out of my room, they gave me a spare key.

All in all, I enjoyed myself.
Past:
CC [Code Geass]
Lightning (B&W Ball) [FF XIII]
2012:
Sice [FF Type-0]

CosplayDevotee

Hotel Name: Crowne Plaza

Would You Book Next Year: only if the Marriot and Hilton are filled

Pros:
-WONDERFUL Staff! I mean really, best experience with Staff evah!!!
-Easy Elevator Rides
-Beautiful downstairs
-Very nice restaurant area

Cons:
-Note that I mentioned in Pros "Beautiful downstairs and nice restaurant," but didn't mention the rooms. The rooms and hallways of the hotel were actually very cheap looking. The door to our room (staying w/ my husband and our mutual guy friend) actually frightened us. It could be moved left to right as well as a little inwards when pushed. The only reason why I didn't put up a fuss, was because of the two hulking men I had at my disposal. The hallways felt, I don't know, cramped? Maybe it was just the color of the carpets versus the walls...? I don't know, it was just a preference issue for me. It actually made me kind of dizzy and I expected the twin girls from the Shining to show up and ask "come play w/ us". Once in the rooms a couple of things were broken. The bathroom had a fan that didn't work and the toilet was a little fussy (sometimes took two or three flushes for anything to go down.)

Special Notes to Share:
Again, nothing TOO over the top that turned me away. Honestly the only reason why I am changing hotels is because this year I had to walk across the street at night a few times to get to our hotel and it was FREEZING!

-But I also do not want to end this review without mentioning someone in particular. I already called the hotel and mentioned her. The bartender in the Crowne Plaza was AMAZING! I am not much of a drinker, but my husband and friend both drink socially and obviously that includes FANIME lol. She helped me pick through the large menu and found me a reasonably light on liquor drink. She was into anime and we all had a really great time discussing multiple animes with her. She even fit in well w/ "normies" there and we had a lot of fun introducing them to the "fandom."

So in conclusion, if both the Marriot and Hilton were to fill before I could book them for next year's fanime, I would stay here again.

ShikiIchijo

Hotel Name: The Executive Inn (It's now called Caravelle or something..)
Would You Book Next Year: Yes, probably planning on it unless we can find something just as cheap and closer.
Pros: It's was CHEAP. The sheets were clean, and their was plenty of outlets for charging phones. Free internet. It was right across from the Gish light rail. A very short walk.
Cons:There were noises at night, that you really didn't want to here. It was also like an apartment like building so the tenants did stare at us in Cosplay.
Special Notes to Share: Bring your own towels...they don't hold water very well...
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

BunofGovt

Would You Book Next Year: Yes, except we normally switch between the Hilton and the Marriott every other year (just something we do) so we'll most likely be at the Hilton next year unless the Marriott is less expensive.

Pros: I'm a rewards member so Internet was free.  Staff friendly and patient.  Check-in was easy for us, we usually arrive between noon and 2pm on Thursday so not that busy.  Free citrus flavored water in the lobby, very refreshing.  Got extra towels when we needed them.  Room service: pizza and fries enough to share amongst four of us, and not long of a wait for it.  We were in a room just next to the corner (on the fire alarm floor) so we had a little hallway from the door that lead around to the beds, handy for lining up our extra bins and suitcases out of the way.  Marriott is closer to the video rooms end of the convention center, and artists' alley. 

Cons:  Further away from the dealers' room and gaming room.  No fridge even though we checked in on Thursday.

Special Notes to Share: Elevators when we needed them were not bad, we usually walked down to the ground floor to catch it and tried to time it in the middle of big events, rather than in between if possible, to avoid crowds. 
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Rin_chan

Hotel Name: Ramada

Would You Book Next Year: Yes, unless I can get into Marriott or Saint Claire this time.

Pros: Price, only my boyfriend had enough for a hotel last year and 65 a night was just the best choice.

Cons: Really you kinda get what you paid for, nothing fancy at all. The bed was a bit to firm for me (just personal opinion there) and not a big fan of starchy blankets, but I always bring my own from home anyways. The room was clean, and a nice size for a one bed room. I like that its only three floors so I could always keep an eye on our car parked outside and I didn't get woken up by late comers nearly as much as at the Marriott (think I just had a loud floor in 2010 XD)

Special Notes to Share: The complimentary breakfast isn't amazing, muffins, juice, tea, simple stuff. But hey, its still a meal. I would also try for a room as far from the back gate as possible(they close off the drive entrance at night and have a small gate to walk through if you use your card to get in, beats going all the way around the block) but it is LOUD when it shuts, heavy metal tends to do that. I may just be a light sleeper but it did wake me up quite a few times during the night. Overall though, its a nice cheap place to sleep at night.