Anime/Manga recommendation so that I won't feel lost at Fanime?

Started by Kupo, June 03, 2011, 08:27:33 PM

Kupo

I always felt that at Fanime, that I'm behind the times on the otaku pop culture. Sometimes I stare at Stage Zero and as much as I would love to participate, I always feel like that I'm going to fail bad because I haven't watched a specific anime or read a specific manga. Every year that I attend Fanime, it seems to re invigorate the anime loving person in me and I always feel inspired to get more into anime, but at the same time I'm not sure where to start. So, I need some help from people here! I'd post in the designated recommendation topic but that seems like some place I'd be lost in.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KupoDREAM

There's my animelist profile. It will probably make the super anime fan be like "What the f*** is this?" But I got no shame and I'm looking to improve my palette. It's not completely updated as I have yet to add some more to the list, but judging from that list. You could say that I've seen many mainstream stuff. I also had some stuff that were not mainstream.

LordKefka

Well take the Fanimaid Cafe performance for example. Last year they were doing themes from Bakemonogatari and Railgun and stuff. This year they started off with Connect which is the opening for Madoka Magica and then they also did a Star Driver theme. So yeah... try those 4 I just mentioned lol.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Mizuki

You'll get lost regardless. There's just way too much stuff, lol. Don't worry about that and just watch/read what you want.

LadyGlitterbow

Honestly I feel the same way! When a new season comes out, I start watching the ones that sound interesting to me, and then after the first few weeks, I check different anime forums and find out which anime other people are watching most. I watch some episodes of those ones too so I am not behind. Lately I have been trying to catch up on the classic anime series too, like the old school stuff I never saw. I STILL haven't seen Perfect Blue or Princess Mononoke!

This is how I at least don't feel totally lost at Fanime! I also sometimes read the Wiki articles of popular anime that I don't plan on watching.

cyril

Hello world

Cole

echoshadow

LoL well.. that list is a start. Like Cole said Crunchroll.com is a good site with current to classic anime and it legit. Or Netflix, get the dvds or if you have to their low quality streaming...which is mosty dubed.
Always support the industry.

Besides that you can take a peak at my list. I recomend anything with a score of 8 or better to watch. Some 7's are ok too but their ok.

Feel free to ask for a certin gener like action, comedy, drama, romance, etc... I know a good few.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

... or simply talk with attendees.  A LOT of attendees are willing to discuss anime and feed you information to fit in the group.  Most likely, you won't run into that jerk who will bash you, as long as you keep an optimistic mind.  =)

So, don't feel ashamed.  There's a LOT to talk about anime.  Too long to list.  =P
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite