WIGGIN' OUT.

Started by Mango Bunny, June 04, 2011, 08:44:05 PM

Mango Bunny

So I've never cosplayed (still.) and I'm thinking this time I really will.

Where do you guys buy your wigs? I want something that isn't going to look like crud, but isn't like ohmygosh expensive either. Something that is a good value, basically.

Any suggestions?

Melly

i've gotten all 2/3 of mine off Ebay. and im completely happy with all of them C:

the 3rd one (my Euphemia wig) i got from DHgate (i guess it's like a Chinese Ebay? idk but its probably the best wig i have out of all of them D:)

im pretty-no- im extremely anal/picky with wigs

so depending on who your cosplaying i could help you find a nice wig on ebay C:

sellers i got mine from where..

well let me get back to you on that since i don't remember off the top of my head. LOL

redroses3164

Taobao if you are going to buy a bunch of wigs at once.

Also, arda wigs.

Inai

I second Arda Wigs. Wigs from chinese sellers never fit my head right (maybe i have a big head, or it's my hair) and my hair always ends up showing. Arda Wigs fit well from my experience and are easy to style. Also the girls who run it are available for any questions you may have and can even give recommendations on what wig may work best for a costume.

Melly

Quote from: Inai on June 05, 2011, 11:04:58 AM
I second Arda Wigs. Wigs from chinese sellers never fit my head right (maybe i have a big head, or it's my hair) and my hair always ends up showing. Arda Wigs fit well from my experience and are easy to style. Also the girls who run it are available for any questions you may have and can even give recommendations on what wig may work best for a costume.

~~

all my chinese wigs fit fine o-o and i even have curly hair XD

and of course i use a wig cap.

if i feel like my hair is in the way i straighten it, it makes the fit a bit better if i need too

the only wig i have that i really need to do that is my Hachi wig (probalby cause its a shorter wig) my long wigs tend be heavy and flatten my hair out anyways so i dont need to straighten it XD

and make sure my hair doesn't show c;

Inai

I can only say from experience. I've used different wig caps but I always get a tight fit whenever I put on a wig from a chinese seller (and this is with the wig on the largest size). I actually have the same problem with some of my Cyperous wigs. It may be because my hair is long and really thick so it adds much more bulk to be fit inside a wig. I've even braided my hair and after a while the cap will move with the pins I use to secure the cap and wig to my head. My hair, even in a wig cap just doesn't want to fit inside a wig from China or Japan. :( I don't have a big head or anything, but the size their wigs are at, they're too small to fit my head + thick hair. My hair is also naturally straight so it's not a matter of any curls adding more bulk.

Melly

thats werid D: ive always thought i had a bigger head + curly hair and all mine seem to fit just fine :(!

Mi Feng

Some of my favorite reasonably-priced wigs come from an ebay seller called cosplayDNA. There wigs are soft, easy to comb and style and are around the $20-$30 price range. The shipping is pretty fast too.

http://stores.ebay.com/CosplayDNA-Wigs-for-Cosplay

Melly

Quote from: Mi Feng on June 05, 2011, 05:20:59 PM
Some of my favorite reasonably-priced wigs come from an ebay seller called cosplayDNA. There wigs are soft, easy to comb and style and are around the $20-$30 price range. The shipping is pretty fast too.

http://stores.ebay.com/CosplayDNA-Wigs-for-Cosplay

.. i spot a santa wig and beard.

/adds to wishlist

LOLLLLLL

livi-chan

Cosplay Fu has sorta good wigs depending

FM anime is GREAT what you see in the picture is really what you get, they are fantastic wigs
Cosplay for Fanime 2012

Anya Alstreim - Code Geass
Cinque - Final Fantasy Agito(Type-0)
Sayaka Miki- Mahou Shoujo Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Allen Walker -maybe- D.gray-man
Milla Maxwell- Tales of Xillia

Mango Bunny

Thanks, I'll start looking through those sellers.

Another question... I'm terrified of styling a wig. Is it hard? If nothing else I would have to make curly ma-bobbers at the front, because I am thinking of doing one of Meroko's costumes and her hair is odd.

If I do angel Meroko the hair would be similar, but hacked off short. Either way there are the curly ma-bobbers.

Yukari Kaiba

if you can find a wig that has heat resistant fibers, you could use curling iron on a medium to low setting to get those curls in the front. BUT ONLY if it says that the wig is heat resistant - otherwise you'll end up melting the fibers of your wig.

the difficulty of style depends on the character you're doing - Meroko's looks pretty simple so I don't think it would be too hard for a beginner to do =)
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Melly

Quote from: Mango Bunny on June 05, 2011, 09:53:29 PM
Thanks, I'll start looking through those sellers.

Another question... I'm terrified of styling a wig. Is it hard? If nothing else I would have to make curly ma-bobbers at the front, because I am thinking of doing one of Meroko's costumes and her hair is odd.

If I do angel Meroko the hair would be similar, but hacked off short. Either way there are the curly ma-bobbers.

~~~

a lot of longer wigs (like hers would be) i find they tend to add a lot of bangs that are REALLY long, so i dont think it'd be too hard to pull the little curls in the front off

and actually i just had another thought LOL you could always get a blonde with long bangs and cut/style them that way, so they're extra long so you can actually get your curler around them c:

but as Yukari said, make sure its heat resistant or it will melt :(

Salty Pearl

you should try Amphigory.com

-- depending on the length and style, the cost ranges
   but they're overall decent as far as price/color/quality goes

http://www.amphigory.com/