Chairs in the line?

Started by Tsu, June 13, 2011, 11:55:49 PM

Tsu

So this year in the immensely long pre/early pickup line on Thursday I noticed people sitting on the floor and some had foldable chairs they would pick up and move down the line with, then sit back down. Is a foldable/portable chair OK with the reg and rover staff, for future cons? I think its a fantastic idea so long as it doesn't get in the way or injure others, but somehow I kept expecting those folks to get yelled at by the rovers for that exact reason. I'd really like to know either way.

(TL;DR: CHAAAAIR)
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Foxberry

:< Personally I hated the chairs. Why? Because there was this OBNOXIOUS Hetalia girl literally screeching across the floor with it. She would NOT get up and dragged it across the ground, or rather her friend was pulling her across the floor with it. It was ear grating.

Tsu

Quote from: Foxberry on June 17, 2011, 12:18:48 AM
:< Personally I hated the chairs. Why? Because there was this OBNOXIOUS Hetalia girl literally screeching across the floor with it. She would NOT get up and dragged it across the ground, or rather her friend was pulling her across the floor with it. It was ear grating.

That sucks. Thankfully I wasn't anywhere near her. The person I saw with a chair had a neat-o foldable, semi-portable chair and he'd just scoop it up and move down the line, then plop back down. I imagine even if chairs are declared OK they'll probably want people to not bring rolling chairs, as you might run over other people's feets with them.

M

Quote from: Foxberry on June 17, 2011, 12:18:48 AM
I don't think we have officially approved or banned using chairs in line, but in cases like this you could have gotten a staff member to deal with it. If her chair was causing screeching noises, it sounds like it was scratching the walkway which is never a good thing. :(
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

weirderraindrop

I was actually wondering about this too. It's very painful to stand in line moving every few minutes with plantar fasciitis.

I was thinking about buying something like this for next year if this condition persists.

http://amzn.com/B001CWCMLU

Foxberry

Quote from: MPLe on June 17, 2011, 06:01:09 PMI don't think we have officially approved or banned using chairs in line, but in cases like this you could have gotten a staff member to deal with it. If her chair was causing screeching noises, it sounds like it was scratching the walkway which is never a good thing. :(

We were knee deep in line and trying to get out of the line and try to get back in again is not fun. :| Further people were yelled at by staffers anyway not to "break" in line. I wandered too closely to the plastic tape line when I was first trying to figure out how to get into it, and I re-iterated I wasn't trying to break just figure out how to get into the line in the first place. I wasn't about to test another staff's patience. I also didn't see the point in bothering staff with something like that either.

Tsu

Quote from: weirderraindrop on June 20, 2011, 10:32:50 PM
I was actually wondering about this too. It's very painful to stand in line moving every few minutes with plantar fasciitis.

I was thinking about buying something like this for next year if this condition persists.

http://amzn.com/B001CWCMLU

That's how I feel about it. I have a mild disability that I don't feel is enough to try and contact registration to accomodate me (if they even would), but 3-4 hours of standing gets to be really tough. I've seen a "pocket chair" for sale in some stores lately, one of those "seen on tv" things... extremely portable, thinking about getting one for next year if I don't hear anything otherwise here or in the official rules.

weirderraindrop

Quote from: foester on June 26, 2011, 05:45:39 AM

That's how I feel about it. I have a mild disability that I don't feel is enough to try and contact registration to accomodate me (if they even would), but 3-4 hours of standing gets to be really tough. I've seen a "pocket chair" for sale in some stores lately, one of those "seen on tv" things... extremely portable, thinking about getting one for next year if I don't hear anything otherwise here or in the official rules.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way (not that i'm glad you are having trouble too). I didn't even think about contacting registration about that before arriving, though I am curious if they do accommodate folks with disabilities. Those Pocket Chairs are pretty cool looking, though kind of low to the ground. I'll probably contact them if they don't respond here. Thankfully we have plenty of time before the con. :)

Also, can't believe I didn't see this the first time.

CHAAAAAIIIIIIIIR!

Dany

There are also the folding chair/cane combos out there that I've seen...I have a friend with severe fibro that has one and it's worked well for her (she has used both the chair and cane function).  The thing I like the most about them is that they fold down to a really low profile and can be moved really easily. I don't know how elevated the seat is, unfortunately, but I think I saw one type when I googled that had two different heights on it.

Personally, I'd probably pad the seat a little as they usually don't have a lot of cushion, but outside of that, I've considered getting one if for no other reason than its convenience and  low-obstruction factor. I'm not disabled myself, but I admit I am not always fond of sitting on the floor either. I mean..all those feet there XD
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

weirderraindrop

Oh! Like this?

http://amzn.com/B0002CFEHU

I think i'll get this one instead because I can use it as a cane at the end of the day instead of walking around on my knees. Major win, thanks for sharing that! <3

Tsu

Oooh. That looks really convenient. O_O I don't need a cane (walking isn't the problem for me, it's standing still for a long time- my joints swell and become stiff) but that's a fantastic idea.

This thread is turning out to be pretty productive.  ;)

Dany

Quote from: weirderraindrop on June 27, 2011, 09:53:23 PM
Oh! Like this?

http://amzn.com/B0002CFEHU

I think i'll get this one instead because I can use it as a cane at the end of the day instead of walking around on my knees. Major win, thanks for sharing that! <3

EXACTLY that. And if you get something like it, I hope it helps you (or anyone else) out! :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

eHash

weirderraindrop

Quote from: foester on June 28, 2011, 02:40:59 AM
Oooh. That looks really convenient. O_O I don't need a cane (walking isn't the problem for me, it's standing still for a long time- my joints swell and become stiff) but that's a fantastic idea.

This thread is turning out to be pretty productive.  ;)

Indeed it is! So far it's the best as far as space saving goes. I'm glad you brought this up because I otherwise would have just suffered next year.

Quote from: Dany on July 05, 2011, 10:47:33 AM

EXACTLY that. And if you get something like it, I hope it helps you (or anyone else) out! :)

Oh yay! Thankies, I appreciate that. :D

Quote from: eHash on July 05, 2011, 12:37:17 PM
i like these:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=263422&catid=189456&aid=338666&aparam=263422&scinit1=pla&scinit2={keyword}

but perhaps if you want something more comfy..you could always rent a wheelchair ;)

Do you have one of those? If so i'd like to know if they feel lumpy at all (they kind of appear lumpy to me)? I was considering a wheelchair until I realized it would only take up more space and I really don't need one like others do. xD

eHash

QuoteDo you have one of those? If so i'd like to know if they feel lumpy at all (they kind of appear lumpy to me)? I was considering a wheelchair until I realized it would only take up more space and I really don't need one like others do. xD
they have a strange feel to them and the bigger you are, the less comfortable they might be.  however i got a pair as white elephant gifts.  they have slings so that they can be more easily carried around...
i saw them recently at walmart for 9.99

weirderraindrop

Oh awesome! Thanks for the info. ^_^