Dances at other Cons

Started by eHash, July 04, 2011, 08:08:12 PM

eHash

As AX comes to a close, I figured I'd ask now.
What do the dances at other Cons have that you wish FanimeCon Dances would have?
3 rules:

1. Don't talk about specific DJs (if this becomes an option we'll ask it another time... since the majority of the con would probably
                                           rather have the money go to a musicfest guest)
2. Don't talk about musical style (yeah yeah..dub step....j-core..anime music...we already heard the forum posters there)
3. Don't say alcohol (because FanimeCon IS a dry con...)

eHash

lots of views, no comments.
This wasn't a gripe, I'd like to hear your feedback.

kookiekween99

The only other convention I go to doesn't have a Dance, so I don't really have a frame of reference.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

crystalsoul

fanime has everything i would possibly want from a dance at an anime convention.

*big room
*lights
*great music
*surrounded by people who love anime

what more could you want?

lycheejelly

(Sorry for bringing up this topic further, but it seems like you guys still haven't had much of a response yet.)

I love Fanime a lot more than Anime Expo for various reasons, so I can't say I'm biased toward AX specifically, but...  The AXDance is definitely one thing I liked more, and just really enjoyed in general.

I can't really say what I like at other conventions (specifically AX) that the Fanime Dance doesn't have because it has a lot to do with the music.  Not musical genre exactly, persay, but the pace of certain songs are better, along with /transitions/.  It's just easier to dance and keep dancing without being interrupted.  

Other than music, it seems to be the environment and the people in it:  I think the venue has a lot to do with it.  (Club Nokia, more crowded so there's less giant circles of people and people congo-lining, a dance pit, elevated stage.)  Granted, I am much more used to clubs and college dances, so maybe that's why I like what AX does more?  That's okay though, since Fanime might not want to lean more toward that and really keep it an "anime convention" styled dance.  And that's fine, just not my thing.  I think having the stage more eye-catching, with the DJ's performance being entertaining and not just their music being entertaining was really nice.  Of course, Fanime can't really do much about that unless they were to say, have the dance be at the Civic Center or something.  You guys already do a good job with what you're given, like having just a regular room at the convention center and all the intricacies I won't even understand with equipment.  :)

You know what we should just have?

Gogo dancers.  An official group of gogo dancers.

Thanks.  <3

(And thanks for asking the forum for feedback.  :D)
Fanimaid 2014 Staff

eHash

QuoteAtmosphere
AX Dance is 18+, FanimeCon Dance is all ages.  The target demographic is much different.  Your insight is noted.
This past year we started having set equipment in the DJ Booth to encourage continuity.  We also made the MC optional, since we were unable to find the right talent. 

Quotemake the stage better.
If we were given money for this, we'd love to.
Since this is only my 2nd year as head, I'm not sure if it's because it was never asked for or deemed as frivolous.  One thing is for sure though, we would need to know exactly what it is we were spending money on in order to ask for it.  Do you have any suggestions.  Be specific.  Don't just say something like projectors since we would have to know what it is that is being projected.  (Live broadcasts; I.E. cameras on the dj or crowd represents a union violation.  1 projector and screen carries with it the rental fee for 5 days....any content must be approved by marketting and we would need to solicit the content owner for permission prior to the event)

QuoteSuggestion: Gogo dancers.  An official group of gogo dancers.
We have been looking into this.  Having random people dance on the platforms represents a liability issue for the Con.  However, we are exploring using less pieces for the main stage and having some out on the floor for dancers.  We are looking for volunteers to dance (at their own risk and a liability waiver is being created)...perhaps you are interested?  *Note we are looking for dancers in cosplay...but this is an all ages event and has to be appropriate for that consideration.

GoodAsianDriver

Just chiming-in because I couldn't help myself.

But, you can rest assured, lycheejelly, that I am doing everything in my power to bring go-go dancers to the Fanime dance for next year.

:D
--
www.spinkpop.com
Each man is given a scientific heritage plus a continuing barrage of sensory stimulation; and the considerations which guide him in warping his scientific heritage to fit his continuing sensor promptings are, where rational, pragmati