2015 Old School Cosplay Gathering 4/19

Started by BSaphire, August 08, 2011, 09:29:23 AM

InsaneDavid

I don't know how I missed this thread but I will absolutely attempt to attend the "official" gathering with my girlfriend on Friday.  This year is my return to anything cosplay after an over decade-long hiatus and it will be her introduction to such.  We're cosplaying as one of Japanese video gaming's earliest couples - er, ex-couple as it falls under modern times.

I'll be Taizo Hori AKA Dig Dug from Dig Dug (1982), Dig Dug II (1985), Dig Dug Arrangement (1996), and a bunch of other Dig Dug spinoffs as well as the Mr. Driller series (began in 1999) as an occasionally playable side character.  I'm pretty much done.

My girlfriend will be Masuyo "Kissy" Tobi from Baraduke (1985), and the Mr. Driller series as an occasional supporting character.  We're in the process of working on her bio-suit but her ion cannon and jet pack are complete.

Outside of their own games they're best known as the parents of Susumu Hori, hero character in the Mr. Driller series as well as his older brother Ataru Hori and younger brother Taiyo Tobi, born shortly before Taizo and Masuyo's divorce.  As we're cosplaying as the characters at our current ages, Susumu would be a little baby (and yes, we already have a plush baby Susumu dressed in Mr. Driller colors) so it would be Taizo, Masuyo and Susumu around 1989.

We'd love to see more old school video game cosplayers!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

BSaphire

So the unofficial Thursday gathering will stay at 6 pm ~ G2, however I needed to move the Friday Official gathering to 5pm and the location for Friday is G4 because I will be attending the Cosplayer Crane Ceremony at 6 pm. I hope everyone can still make it to the Friday gathering even though it is an hour earlier than I originally had on the first post.
@ InsaneDavid: can't wait to see what you bring for old school videogame cosplay. I do Fallout 1 so we can rock it together! :P
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

DaKree~

I'll see if I can come as Leon D.S Gehste (Star Ocean: Second Story)~

Michi

Dang I can't make it because my priority on Friday evening is Swap Meet, but I'm bringing costumes from anime that aired in 1994 and a video game that came out in 1990! I'm so bummed. Haha. Looking forward to the photos!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

BSaphire

Quote from: Michi on May 05, 2014, 07:29:13 PM
Dang I can't make it because my priority on Friday evening is Swap Meet, but I'm bringing costumes from anime that aired in 1994 and a video game that came out in 1990! I'm so bummed. Haha. Looking forward to the photos!
Michi: if you are about the convention center Day Zero we have our unofficial gathering and I'd Love to see your Old School cosplay :)
Squidge
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Michi

Unfortunately at this point I'm just planning on driving down Friday morning! We'll see, though. :)

azreale

Ill try to be there friday as 003 from cyborg 009
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

CielloRegalo

I wonder if there will be more people on Thurs unofficial or Fri official gathering?? I might go to both if there are enough people but I also need to be in line on Thursday for my badge :)

BSaphire

Quote from: CielloRegalo on May 12, 2014, 10:36:22 PM
I wonder if there will be more people on Thurs unofficial or Fri official gathering?? I might go to both if there are enough people but I also need to be in line on Thursday for my badge :)
They say that Registration will not take as long so maybe you could do both? I am doing two different cosplays and I might throw something else in at the last minute. What ever character it turns out to be I do know that I am cosplaying from video games for this :P
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

So it looks like I will be cosplaying Larva from Vampire princess Miyu on Thursday @ 6 pm at the G2 platform inside. I may be a little late due to my training meeting happens at the same time :P It's tricky but it gives my photographers a chance to get in the groove.

I also noticed a lot of Fallout cosplayers are going to be at Fanime and I just wanted to post here a message to them:
If you are a Fallout cosplayer and want to get together for Fallout pics (which I would LOVE to do) I will be cosplaying my Fallout Vault 13 cospeep on Friday @ the 5pm Official Old School Gathering and we could meet up @ G4 for a few QUICK Fallout pics around 5:30pm, but I have to be out of there by 5:45 pm to run the Cosplayer Crane Ceremony at G6 at 6 pm on Friday night.

I am going to be mega cosplaying this year! I still have 6 or 7 other cosplays I am doing XD
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

InsaneDavid

Thank you again so much, BSaphire, for hosting this gathering!  Come on everyone, bigger group next year - old school is awesome!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

BSaphire

Cleaned up first post and ready for those who want to "Bring it Back!" Old School style! :P
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Michi

I'll be doing swap meet on Friday again, but intend to wear my old school anime cosplay for it. Sooo maybe this will work! I don't think I'll be there Thursday, since our hotel starts Friday, but who knows~

Frank_Hood

This sound like a lot of fun. 
I plan on doing a Ninetales cosplay from Pokemon, based off my memories of the show/tcg circa '99.
I will be around Thursday, but do want to do swap meet

Angelx624

If I have nothing else going on, count me in as Misty from Pokemon!! ^^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

evas

Evangelion is old school enough?
Awesome, I'll be there!  :D

Avairrianna

I don't see any other Evangelion gatherings but is it ok if I come even though I'm going to be Mari from 2.22 which debuted in 2009?
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Glitch

I will be going as Tenchi this year, and two others will be Ayeka and Ryoko. :)

linkluver6

bringing Ayla from Chrono trigger and a Crono!

perhaps a Magus and a Frog

Nina Star 9

Quote from: linkluver6 on April 13, 2015, 12:51:02 PM
bringing Ayla from Chrono trigger and a Crono!

perhaps a Magus and a Frog
Ooohhh that makes me really sad that I've pretty much retired my own Ayla cosplay, and that I don't have the time to make a Marle or a Schala or something. :[ I hope to see your group at the con!

I might be there, depending on whether I do the Swap Meet or karaoke contest or other Friday things. Not sure what my cosplay will be -- I was planning on Justin Bailey!Samus, but I might do Ulala (Space Channel 5) or Julia (Cowboy Bebop).