2015 Old School Cosplay Gathering 4/19

Started by BSaphire, August 08, 2011, 09:29:23 AM

xichisex

Does Velma Dace Dinkley from 'Scooby Doo!' count as old school even though she's not from an anime, manga, or video game? :D I sure hope so since I just completed her today!

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

BSaphire

Quote from: xichisex on October 27, 2011, 10:13:32 PM
Does Velma Dace Dinkley from 'Scooby Doo!' count as old school even though she's not from an anime, manga, or video game? :D I sure hope so since I just completed her today!

First off I just have to say that you look AWESOME! Unfortunately I don't think Scooby Doo will qualify for the "official" Friday gathering, but if you are there on Thursday come and join in!

That goes for all the Old School Cosplay out there, I don't have any issues with an American cartoon/comic based cosplay that sticks close to the cut off date (12/31/2000 -back to- 1/1/1960 release date) for THURSDAY's gathering. I just love the old stuff so if your there Thursday evening and can make it in your old school cosplay YEAH!!!

Friday's Official gathering will be anime, manga, graphic novel, and game based character representation that would fit for a anime convention.

Hope this helps more peeps "Bring Out their AWESOME Dead!" HAPPY HALLOWEEN OLD SCHOOLERS!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

dajoo

I'll be doing Kintaro Oe from Golden Boy. I custom made the backpack from scratch.

Necara

I'm probably going to go as Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena. :)

kagome437

:D this gathering sounds like lots of fun. i say a thursday  meet up would be different but i don't know how many people could really come. because usually thats the day everyones arriving in san jose. so if it was a meet up later in the evening. i think lots of people would come along.
The series i'm cosplaying is from 2002, would i still be able to join in the gathering?

BSaphire

Quote from: kagome437 on November 07, 2011, 11:01:03 AM
:D this gathering sounds like lots of fun. i say a thursday  meet up would be different but i don't know how many people could really come. because usually thats the day everyones arriving in san jose. so if it was a meet up later in the evening. i think lots of people would come along.
The series i'm cosplaying is from 2002, would i still be able to join in the gathering?
Unfortunately no it would be to recent, but you are more than welcome to come out and be an awesome spectator :)

Choosing a cut off for this gathering to feel "oldschool" was not easy for me. Between 2000 and 2004 there were several really great anime and manga series that started, but I wanted to take cosplay back to a time where it wasn't so modern looking. Where we looked like the fantastic and wonderful freeks that we are :) so I picked the end of 2000 for the release date of what ever anime/manga/game character. This will allow many who haven't cosplayed in a long while an opportunity to come out and join us in the fun and show off their older cosplay that they loved (and hopefully didn't get rid of.)

I hope this doesn't discourage many cospeeps from joining us.

Again, I would like to remind everyone that this will be on two days:
THURSDAY = Unofficial gathering where American comic and cartoon characters dating from Dec 31, 2000 on back will be allowed to join in. I plan on having this in the evening around 6 pm so that it doesn't interfear with swap meet participation.

FRIDAY = Official Gathering where those appearing in any anime/manga/game dating from Dec 31, 2000 back will be allowed to join in. I am thinking of having this around 6 pm also, what does everyone think?

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

tatterpixie

I'll be bringing Tochiro Oyama from the Captain Harlock universe back next year -- depending on when the Leijiverse Gather is, I could trot him out for this one as well! ^_^
Fanime 2013 cosplay plans:
Tochiro Oyama (Captain Harlock)
Pinako Rockbell (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Dany

Quote from: tatterpixie on November 07, 2011, 07:22:51 PM
I'll be bringing Tochiro Oyama from the Captain Harlock universe back next year -- depending on when the Leijiverse Gather is, I could trot him out for this one as well! ^_^

Fingers crossed we'll get some responses on that before too long, Tatterpixie! Worst case scenario, if BSaphire approves of it, perhaps the Matsumoto gathering can be scheduled to coincide with the Old School Gathering in some way, so that people can attend both without having to run the costumes twice in a row over the weekend (unless they really want to!).
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

BSaphire

Quote from: Dany on November 08, 2011, 08:18:59 AM

Fingers crossed we'll get some responses on that before too long, Tatterpixie! Worst case scenario, if BSaphire approves of it, perhaps the Matsumoto gathering can be scheduled to coincide with the Old School Gathering in some way, so that people can attend both without having to run the costumes twice in a row over the weekend (unless they really want to!).
I have no problems if you want to do this on Friday with the Official OldSchool gathering. I'm thinking 6 pm for my gathering...  hope that isn't too late?
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

Quote from: BSaphire on November 08, 2011, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: Dany on November 08, 2011, 08:18:59 AM

I have no problems if you want to do this on Friday with the Official OldSchool gathering. I'm thinking 6 pm for my gathering...  hope that isn't too late?

It may not be. Last year I got some feedback that the gathering we held was a little too early for some to attend (I believe we had 4:30 Friday then). We might have the same issue (swap meet) though. But I've put the question out there to see what people think. :)

Armored-Heart

Unfortunately I was hoping to host the Vocaloid gathering around the same time, so I don't think I'll be able to make the Friday gathering. If I can manage to get to Fanime in time to change into Sakura for Thursday's unofficial gathering though I would be happy to join you all. c:
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Ryo_Hellsing

Quote from: Dany on October 20, 2011, 12:17:33 PM

I <3 you, says my inner FOTN fangirl. :D :D :D

-Gasp!- Another FOTH fan?! Ah! Finally! I have only met one other person at Fanime who knew what it was!

Friday would work best for me personally, mostly because I usually drive up on Friday xD
But if it's Thursday I can see what my group thinks, and maybe we will go a day early :3

Dany

Quote from: Ryo_Hellsing on November 09, 2011, 02:25:18 PM
Quote from: Dany on October 20, 2011, 12:17:33 PM

I <3 you, says my inner FOTN fangirl. :D :D :D

-Gasp!- Another FOTH fan?! Ah! Finally! I have only met one other person at Fanime who knew what it was!

Husband introduced me to it, actually :) Just haven't done any costumes....well, not -yet- *shifty-eyes* XD

PunkDrunker

I think I might dig out my Chocolate Misu from Bakuretsu Hunter (Sorceror Hunters) for this. (Though Aya from Weiss kreuz would work too. xD) And I might bring along Stormer from Jem for the Thursday gathering.

Rebeccakh

aww .//hack infection was released in 2002 XP I wanted to go to this if my .hack gathering idea doesn't take off.

azreale

not sure who I'll be going as but i plan to be there as some old school character! ill repost when i figure out who!
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

Kotodama

WAY TO MAKE ME FEEL OLD HAHA! I'm planning on making Honlon from Petshop of Horrors, so hopefully I'll see you guys there! Thursday is a maybe for me since I'll be driving up from Socal, but if I make it in time, I might be able to show up as Aoi from Flame of Recca. :D

Haunterluvcookies

Wow I hope this goes! You have claimed my soul with this gathering! Now I want to go so badly thurs through mon.

I am trying to go as Shun/Hades from Saint Seiya, if I can't finish it I will be Joe from cyborg 009.  

I really hope i can go to both. The unoffical and the offical.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

azreale

would Escaflowne count as old school? it was aired in 1996... but still, 15 years is quite a while!
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)