The Gaming Hall 2012 Wants and Needs Moar Games!

Started by Ska_Kitti, August 10, 2011, 09:09:13 PM

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: 100kV on May 03, 2012, 10:28:13 PMIs it because it's a non-commercial game?

A detailed description of this legal restriction would be really useful in knowing which games are allowed.

Games like MUGEN, Stepmania, Frets on Fire, and Osu! are all open-source software that was designed primarily for personal use only, depending on the licenses such as the Creative Commons.  The simulator games like those cannot be used in commerce (aka anything that involves money like people paying for badges) because it violates patents and copyrights of the content.  Stepmania -> DDR / Pump / ParaPara.  MUGEN -> Just about any fighter.  Frets on Fire -> Guitar Hero / Rock Band.  Osu! -> Elite Beat Agents.

In addition of the matters, such games allow players to upload custom songs.  Unless the songs are originally made or unless you hold a license to popularly requested songs, simply ripping songs from the internet (i.e. Anime songs or Top 40) is also illegal with the said above, except it hits on the recording industry.

Keep in mind that some of the attendees or even press are employees of big companies like Konami, Nintendo, EA, and Capcom.  Having attendees say "I came to pay for a $60 badge so I can play that awesome Stepmania and Osu! to play Caramelldansen and other songs provided by staff" is not the most pleasant thing to hear.  Let's not be hit with cease and desist orders or even legal actions.

If you guys want this kind of thing, it would be best to do this in a hotel room as hotel rooms are not affiliated by FanimeCon operations.

Quote from: 100kV on May 03, 2012, 10:28:13 PMAlso, I've been to Anime Express convention. While they had very strict legal restrictions there, they had an osu! booth. It was really fun when people gathered around and took turns playing.

Though conventions have to patrol copyright violations, the sole responsibility goes against the vendors who provide it.  If it were staff that represents the convention, then the convention itself is held legally responsible.

Certain conventions have also been hit with cease and desist orders and were threatened a shutdown due to such violations.  Con names not to be disclosed publicly.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

100kV

Thanks xxxplizit. That's a very clear justification.

Skyline

Quote from: Izoz on March 22, 2012, 09:04:41 PM
I noticed they'll not be a tournement this year for Twinkle Star Sprites (sadly) but I certainly hope it will at least be back at Fanime, alongside Powerstones 2.

Also Mario Kart 64, which has been sorely missing from the usual great selection of N64 games for the past couple of years now.

PowerStone 2 and TSS will be there, unfortunately there were issues with my Dreamcast systems that were just recently resolved, which is why I didn't add a TSS tourney to the roster this time around.  If there is enough interest for it to be brought back, just let us now and I'll do my best to run it.

As for MK64, this has actually been in our inventory for years, no one ever requests it though.  Just ask us to switch out the game if you want to play  :D
FanimeCon: eGaming Staff, 2009-2011
Sac-Anime Summer/Winter: Console Game Room Staff, 2009-2011
SNAFU Con: Console Game Room Co-Director, 2010-2011

virilevocalist

Previous FanimeCons attended:
'01, '02, '03, '04, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '19, ('20, I guess)

royjovero

kohana ichibana

My boyfriend always comes to the Gaming Hall to play fighting games and stays there forever. This con it was the saddest amount of video games ever. :[ What happened?
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

Ska_Kitti

Hihi everyone. Keep in mind that we do rotate our games on a yearly basis and that trends, sadly, do run out. We try to make sure we are up-to-date with the latest games while keeping some of the old favorites.

~*~*~*~*~*~
BTW, what kind of board games do we need? We would like to be prepared for you all.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

yoyopro1

I might be attending this year for the first time   :D yay! But will there be Beatmania IIDX?

Ska_Kitti

We are still working out the details of our Arcade, so please stay tuned on the website (we have a Gaming Hall page) for updates.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Gore Screaming Show

Quote from: Skyline on May 22, 2012, 04:35:09 PM
Quote from: Izoz on March 22, 2012, 09:04:41 PM
I noticed they'll not be a tournement this year for Twinkle Star Sprites (sadly) but I certainly hope it will at least be back at Fanime, alongside Powerstones 2.

Also Mario Kart 64, which has been sorely missing from the usual great selection of N64 games for the past couple of years now.

PowerStone 2 and TSS will be there, unfortunately there were issues with my Dreamcast systems that were just recently resolved, which is why I didn't add a TSS tourney to the roster this time around.  If there is enough interest for it to be brought back, just let us now and I'll do my best to run it.

As for MK64, this has actually been in our inventory for years, no one ever requests it though.  Just ask us to switch out the game if you want to play  :D

Yeah, I'd say there definitely is enough interest in it to go for it (preferably host it Friday evening, say... 5:00PM).

... belated but revelant reply ahoy!

Ska_Kitti

No topic is belated; it just takes some memory to take time out of planning for you all to visit the forums. You can submit suggestions to [email protected] as well.
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Takumaru

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 tournament would be awesome.  Me and friend would auto sign up.

Talia Does RP

Definitely going to be there, running Bliss Stage, Apocalypse World, and possibly Panty Explosion (the game of psychics in high school) if I can get hold of it.
2023 tabletop staff, author, professional GM.  Ask me about Lancer, Valor, Bliss Stage, and Isekai/Online.

Ska_Kitti

Quote from: Takumaru on March 20, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 tournament would be awesome.  Me and friend would auto sign up.
I'm asking around now, but no promises. It all depends if one of my staff has the time to run it in conjunction with other tourneys as well as provide some prize support.

Quote from: Bliss Authority on March 29, 2013, 03:07:19 PM
Definitely going to be there, running Bliss Stage, Apocalypse World, and possibly Panty Explosion (the game of psychics in high school) if I can get hold of it.

Oh? When and where?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay