Cosplayer Hangout 2014 edition CLOSED

Started by BSaphire, August 13, 2011, 10:07:35 AM

Cosplayer Hangout 2013...

4 Stars ~ LOVED IT and will use it again!
3 Stars ~ Great idea and I might use it again.
2 Stars ~ It's was ok, but I didn't use it.
1 Stars ~ Nice try, but won't really help cosplayers.
0 Stars ~ I'm the devil... What were you thinking!

Charis

Psst, B -- you have me on the list from last year, I think, as bringing certain things.  I'll definitely look through my Pile o'Stuff and see if there's anything I can donate this year, but the stuff from last year won't be making a repeat appearance. ^^;;;

Chopped Cosplay sounds like it could be a lot of fun. XD
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

AnimefanJJ

I am willing to try to bring something this year. I think I might have some extra sewing things I don't need any more. Also I am interested in bringing back my sewing by hand q&a if possible.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

BSaphire

So I did a massive posting update on posts #1, 2, 4, 5 & 6. Team application for Chopped Cosplay is at the bottom of Post #4 and the Fabric swap info is also up. Oh and did you notice there are 2 ROOMS :) Repair station is located in Market Room this year!

I will update the donation information later because it is crunch time and I have lots to do INCLUDING updates to the Offical gatherings & events list :)

@ AnimefanJJ: I would love to have your hand sewing Q&D see the Post 2 for submission info and lets get you Q&D on post 1! :)
@ Charis: Opps :P I'll fix that when I get to update the list
@tatterpixie: That would be AWESOME... I'll add it to the list when I update the repair station info.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

dajoo

I didn't realize this happened last year, but I think it is awesome. I do have one of those singer handheld machines and wouldn't mind permanently donating it to the cause. I have other notions I can donate as well. If I make it to the next staff meeting I'll try and pass them off then.

I'd love to do a q&d as well, but have no clue what people would like to see. I can do anything from pattern manipulation to draping. I also know how to make simple but effective draping dummies.. I can also show how to make simple consafe swords with sheaths. I'd love to hear if anyone has any particular things they'd like to see.

BSaphire

Quote from: dajoo on March 31, 2012, 10:00:27 PM
I didn't realize this happened last year, but I think it is awesome. I do have one of those singer handheld machines and wouldn't mind permanently donating it to the cause. I have other notions I can donate as well. If I make it to the next staff meeting I'll try and pass them off then.

I'd love to do a q&d as well, but have no clue what people would like to see. I can do anything from pattern manipulation to draping. I also know how to make simple but effective draping dummies.. I can also show how to make simple consafe swords with sheaths. I'd love to hear if anyone has any particular things they'd like to see.
I sent a reply to your email. :)
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

Update to 1st post on Cosplayer Hangout programming. Still looking for C2C Q&D if anyone is interested in doing one or two :)

THERE ARE STILL TEAM OPENINGS FOR CHOPPED COSPLAY! We provide the stuff and you provide the mad skills and the last team standing wins the prizes! Cosplay MADNESS! LUV IT!

Lots of stuff to do! UGH!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

amandald98

The cosplay hangout this year was AMAZING! They had really tasty citrus water (fancy), balloons (my friend and I started a game of catch/volleyball), make-up and alll of your cosplay needs, chairs, beanbags, and a convenient location right next to a major cosplay gathering area! this was my first time, and I will definitely go back again! You may, however, want to make the No Press rule a little more obvious (I got the rule, but I did notice some taking pictures.)
I like trains.

BSaphire

So as a quick update for the 2013 line up in the Cosplayer Hangout... I want to fill up the Q & D/Workshop/Panel times during the day as soon as possible for 2013 because I WANT THIS in the FanimeCon Program Guide for 2013!

Things that are returning for 2013:
Fabric Swap!
No Fear Props!
CHOPPED COSPLAY!
Cosplayer Crane Ceremony (Friday night @ FCC HS)
CGD Department raffles
Cosplayer Repair Station (DONATIONS NEEDED)
water station

NEW FOR 2013!
Cosplay CLUE!
Furry Cooling Station
more TBA!

Post your ideas and suggestions for the cosplayer hangout here! BTW... We plan to stay in the same location for 2013! *YEAH!
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Charis

One thing that'd be interesting to see is what sort of panels/Q&Ds/etc. people would be interested in seeing in the cosplayer hangout.  I've thought about trying to do one or two, but I'm terrible at ideas and gauging what people might want to learn about ...

I'm planning a major clean in the next handful of months; if I find anything that might be helpful for the hangout, I'll save it to donate -- and I certainly hope the fabric swap's at a time I can make next year!  Goodness knows I've got enough random odds and ends ...
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

silvermosico

Quote from: BSaphire on June 06, 2012, 07:22:57 PM

Things that are returning for 2013:
CHOPPED COSPLAY!

NEW FOR 2013!
Furry Cooling Station

If I make it to Fanime 2013 I am super excited to see Chopped Cosplay! Awesome that it'll be around again, it was totally awesome to watch last year!

Gotta cool all those cosplayers! If anyone can make a PVC "tree" with say 3" or 4" pipe someone can probably attach a blower and use the "tree" to direct airflow to service multiple cosplayers/fursuiters at once :D

yummy yummy! <3...

jingko

I'll get you a write up for the "cosplaying for your body type" or other name soon as well as a "sewing 101 dont' fear the sewing machine!"
i think i'm going to have too much fun on that one.
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

maikiritori

Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

BSaphire

Posts 1 - 7 have been updated!

Looking for teams for Chopped Cosplay!
Looking for Q&D Sessions or Workshops!

Cosplay Hangout can use a few staff members! If you are interested see bottom of first post here to apply:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13396.0.html

Squidges
BSaphire
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Dagger-6

I could probably host some sort of Q&D Session or Workshop.

I have 3 official panels:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18135.0.html

I can touch on similar topics again, though it seems like you already have a props-oriented session.  Here are some other possible ideas for discussions.

Costuming and Film - Talking about the difference between approaching costuming for conventions vs film.  I can discuss my experiences in filming in costume, putting actors in costumes, what happens when a costume designed for costumers to wear is tossed onto an unprepared actor, differences in priorities when approaching costume construction, etc. as well as some ways to get started in the industry for those interested.

That Armor/Costume Makes No Sense! - Where we critique how uncomfortable and nonsensical some costume designs are, no matter how cool they may look.  (e.g. how deceptively simple looking the Madoka costumes look to non-costumers; armor where if it was made like it actually appears you wouldn't be able to move)

I can probably think of some more later as well if those don't sound appealing.

SquishyK

Quote from: BSaphire on March 17, 2013, 01:38:05 PM

Looking for teams for Chopped Cosplay!

I would love to do chopped cosplay again it was so much fun last year (I was captain for the Moogle group). It would be helpful to first know minimally what day the actual competition is going to be so I can recruit a team with that in mind.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

BSaphire

i have updated post #1 & posts 4 - 7.

@ pitin: Chopped Cosplay and Team Application are up! Check Post #1 for post locations.

@ Dagger-6: I'm game :) Info on submissions is on post #2. I look forward to hearing from you.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

SquishyK

Quote from: BSaphire on April 11, 2013, 01:39:08 PM

@ pitin: Chopped Cosplay and Team Application are up! Check Post #1 for post locations.

@ Dagger-6: I'm game :) Info on submissions is on post #2. I look forward to hearing from you.

Squidges
B

Thank you for posting the day and time for the Copped competition! However, I'm concerned about the time that was selected as it overlaps with two major con. events, MusicFest and to a lesser extent the Steampunk Ball. These are events that I and my friends are very keen on attending and I'm worried that it might also impact the overall audience attendance for the Copped Cosplay competition. I understand if this is set in stone or rather inflexible due to other scheduling conflicts. I just thought that I would voice my concern here.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

BSaphire

Quote from: pitin on April 12, 2013, 09:28:02 AM
Quote from: BSaphire on April 11, 2013, 01:39:08 PM

Squidges
B

Thank you for posting the day and time for the Copped competition! However, I'm concerned about the time that was selected as it overlaps with two major con. events, MusicFest and to a lesser extent the Steampunk Ball. These are events that I and my friends are very keen on attending and I'm worried that it might also impact the overall audience attendance for the Copped Cosplay competition. I understand if this is set in stone or rather inflexible due to other scheduling conflicts. I just thought that I would voice my concern here.
It is actually scheduled for the same time as it was last year :) We did not have to run eliminations on Friday last year, however if we have a lot of teams then we run eliminations on Friday so that we end up with 4 teams for the competition. The Steampunk ball lasts for hours so even if you take out two hours to do the competition you will have plenty of time to enjoy the ball and as for MusicFest... well that is if we have a lot of teams. I hope this encourages your team to apply and come compete :)

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

PrincessSquib

Hello!
I'm part of team half naked that participated last year,
our group sent in an application, but will we get a confirmation
email? We couldn't quite remember, so I was volunteered to ask.
Thank you,
-Squib
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz