Cosplayer Hangout 2014 edition CLOSED

Started by BSaphire, August 13, 2011, 10:07:35 AM

Cosplayer Hangout 2013...

4 Stars ~ LOVED IT and will use it again!
3 Stars ~ Great idea and I might use it again.
2 Stars ~ It's was ok, but I didn't use it.
1 Stars ~ Nice try, but won't really help cosplayers.
0 Stars ~ I'm the devil... What were you thinking!

BSaphire

Quote from: PrincessSquib on April 19, 2013, 10:55:53 AM
Hello!
I'm part of team half naked that participated last year,
our group sent in an application, but will we get a confirmation
email? We couldn't quite remember, so I was volunteered to ask.
Thank you,
-Squib
Reply has been sent :)
Squidge
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BWolfwood

I will bring a 4 foot long power strip again.  I will just need it during the workshop.
How can I make it move.....?

BSaphire

I have cleaned up the first six posts to reflect the many changes coming to the hangout in 2014. The first post has the updated Post key to help you find what you are looking for.

Chopped Cosplay has announced this years theme of "Attack on Titans!" The team application will be up in the next week or two which will give those competitive cosplay creation teams a chance to formulate a strategy and develop their character representation ideas.... ok, for some it will give them a reason to watch this great anime series to become familiar with it all :P All I can say is.... I'm SOOOO EXCITED! and I just can't hide it!... oh sorry got lost in the moment *LOL

Hope this streamlined version helps people get the info pre con.
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Gwydion

Do we have any idea of what supplies might be needed for the repair station this year?

BSaphire

Quote from: Gwydion on January 28, 2014, 06:07:41 PM
Do we have any idea of what supplies might be needed for the repair station this year?
The basic repair kit stuff is always helpful :) but as for specifics, hummm I don't have my inventory sheet in front of me right now but it would be awesome if someone wanted to donate small tools: screw drivers, pliers, and allen wrenches... There is someone always in need of this kind of stuff. for the make up side of things I have been hoping to get two light up mirrors so cosplayers can touch up their make up. Maybe some makeup wedges for foundation, cotton rounds, q tips and either those fingernail polish wipes that are packaged or one of those small swirl your finger type ones would be a plus. Can always use stuff for wigs: hairspray, gel, wax and that sort of stuff so cospeeps can touch up their hair. This is all I can think of off the top of my head, so if any cospeeps want to donate to the repair station here is some of the things we are in need of. As you can see we do a whole lot more than hot glue and safety pens... oh speaking of pens.. Silver, Gold, Red, and Black sharpies are ALWAYS needed.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

SquishyK

Quote from: BSaphire on January 28, 2014, 10:08:04 AM
I have cleaned up the first six posts to reflect the many changes coming to the hangout in 2014. The first post has the updated Post key to help you find what you are looking for.

Chopped Cosplay has announced this years theme of "Attack on Titans!" The team application will be up in the next week or two which will give those competitive cosplay creation teams a chance to formulate a strategy and develop their character representation ideas.... ok, for some it will give them a reason to watch this great anime series to become familiar with it all :P All I can say is.... I'm SOOOO EXCITED! and I just can't hide it!... oh sorry got lost in the moment *LOL

Squidges
B

My initial reaction to the Chopped Cosplay theme as AoT, "oh that's so cool! I love Shingeki". Then after really thinking about what I would want to make and what everyone else will probably make it was, "maybe not such a great idea..." It will end up as: who's gonna win, the soldier in the uniform, the soldier in the uniform, the soldier in the uniform, or TWIST the forth soldier has a cloak instead of a jacket! On the one hand it would be interesting to see how people use materials differently to create the same thing but I think that would work well for one round on one item, not so much for 3 rounds and 4 teams. Yes, there are ways that you can mix it up and do something a little off the wall and different but I think the parameters of the competition should allow this to be the exception, not force it as the rule. Also, speaking from experience those "creative alternatives" are going to be further limited by the requirement that we include the secret ingredient items. I honestly think a better choice would have been Tales of..., Sword Art Online, Vocaloid, Pokemon, even Naruto. If you want something current events relevant go with Ghibli! That's very relevant right now. I have a feeling that the only reason that Attack on Titan was chosen was because of it's EXTREME popularity right now. However, it just isn't the sort of show that lends itself to excessive creativity. Honestly, I have a feeling that by the end of this con everyone is going to get a little sick of Shingeki. Then again maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm the only one that's worried about something like this, just thought I would offer my take on it.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

BSaphire

Quote from: pitin on January 31, 2014, 04:53:50 PM

Squidges
B

My initial reaction to the Chopped Cosplay theme as AoT, "oh that's so cool! I love Shingeki". Then after really thinking about what I would want to make and what everyone else will probably make it was, "maybe not such a great idea..." It will end up as: who's gonna win, the soldier in the uniform, the soldier in the uniform, the soldier in the uniform, or TWIST the forth soldier has a cloak instead of a jacket! On the one hand it would be interesting to see how people use materials differently to create the same thing but I think that would work well for one round on one item, not so much for 3 rounds and 4 teams. Yes, there are ways that you can mix it up and do something a little off the wall and different but I think the parameters of the competition should allow this to be the exception, not force it as the rule. Also, speaking from experience those "creative alternatives" are going to be further limited by the requirement that we include the secret ingredient items. I honestly think a better choice would have been Tales of..., Sword Art Online, Vocaloid, Pokemon, even Naruto. If you want something current events relevant go with Ghibli! That's very relevant right now. I have a feeling that the only reason that Attack on Titan was chosen was because of it's EXTREME popularity right now. However, it just isn't the sort of show that lends itself to excessive creativity. Honestly, I have a feeling that by the end of this con everyone is going to get a little sick of Shingeki. Then again maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm the only one that's worried about something like this, just thought I would offer my take on it.
I can assure you that the staff have thought this also and our reasoning to stick with it is how this competition is designed that it won't be as easy as it seams. First off you start out with four teams with one team getting eliminated each round. Second of all is incorporating the secret ingredient given each round into the cosplay so that can become a challenge. Third, well it has to all work... meaning if your real manikin can't move in it without it falling apart then it is going to hurt the team. Even if there are two or more of the same character the bottom line is the playing field is leveled at the start with each team having the same basic ingredients and access to the pantry starts changing the dynamic of the individual cosplay from the get go. This is a VERY competitive competition. The creativity that happens is unreal.

We have already discussed opening up the theme for Chopped 2015 to the fans so look for a separate thread to appear soon where you can post your ideas. The top ten will be presented to the Chopped Cosplay audience to pick their top five and then we go to a timed poll to select the theme for 2015.
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

SquishyK

Quote from: BSaphire on February 18, 2014, 01:35:09 PM

We have already discussed opening up the theme for Chopped 2015 to the fans so look for a separate thread to appear soon where you can post your ideas. The top ten will be presented to the Chopped Cosplay audience to pick their top five and then we go to a timed poll to select the theme for 2015.

Looking forward to it!  ;D ;D ;D POKEMON  ;D ;D ;D

Tested/MythBusters:

SquishyK

Quote from: BSaphire on February 18, 2014, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: pitin on January 31, 2014, 04:53:50 PM

Squidges
B

I can assure you that the staff have thought this also and our reasoning to stick with it is how this competition is designed that it won't be as easy as it seams. First off you start out with four teams with one team getting eliminated each round. Second of all is incorporating the secret ingredient given each round into the cosplay so that can become a challenge. Third, well it has to all work... meaning if your real manikin can't move in it without it falling apart then it is going to hurt the team. Even if there are two or more of the same character the bottom line is the playing field is leveled at the start with each team having the same basic ingredients and access to the pantry starts changing the dynamic of the individual cosplay from the get go. This is a VERY competitive competition. The creativity that happens is unreal.

I RETRACT MY EARLIER COMMENTS. If you do enough digging there ARE actually other costume options.

Tested/MythBusters:

PrincessSquib

Team Half Naked is prepared to return for Chopped Cosplay 2014~! :D

- Princess Squib
A.K.A: Sailor Venus, from the Burlesque Sailor Moon Skit Fanime Masquerade Cosplay Spectacular 2014
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

SquishyK

The Fabulous Fabric Ferrets (a.k.a. Revenge of the Fabulous Fabric Ferrets) shall now be known as the Fabulous Fabric Ferrets of Freedom! (I <3 alliteration)

p.s. application will be forthcoming ;)

Tested/MythBusters:

PrincessSquib

Quote from: pitin on March 31, 2014, 09:14:41 AM
The Fabulous Fabric Ferrets (a.k.a. Revenge of the Fabulous Fabric Ferrets) shall now be known as the Fabulous Fabric Ferrets of Freedom! (I <3 alliteration)
Please please please announce yourselves and strike a pose. :D It would make my night. XD

Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

SquishyK

Quote from: PrincessSquib on March 31, 2014, 10:35:46 AM
Please please please announce yourselves and strike a pose. :D It would make my night. XD

Tehehe... we'll have to practice that ;)

Tested/MythBusters:

PrincessSquib

Quote from: pitin on March 31, 2014, 11:16:24 AM
Quote from: PrincessSquib on March 31, 2014, 10:35:46 AM

Tehehe... we'll have to practice that ;)

I did not quote that right! D: Damn android.... But thanks XD I'll be looking forward to it.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Xeluu

Question!
My sister, friends, and I would love to apply to be a team for Chopped Cosplay, but it's looking like it's going to interfere with the Swap Meet. I know it says pending for Friday, but is there any chance of it being moved to a bit earlier?
Additionally, are you still actually taking applications? :3
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

SquishyK

Quote from: Xeluu on May 01, 2014, 06:21:49 PM
Question!
My sister, friends, and I would love to apply to be a team for Chopped Cosplay, but it's looking like it's going to interfere with the Swap Meet. I know it says pending for Friday, but is there any chance of it being moved to a bit earlier?
Additionally, are you still actually taking applications? :3

It was posted on the Fanime FB page yesterday that they are looking for more teams to participate (and I just sent in my team's app yesterday). I would suggest applying anyway even if not everyone can make it on Friday. If we don't have more then 4 teams then it will just be an informational meeting as it has been in the past. Whoever can make it can relate everything to your team members that couldn't.

Tested/MythBusters:

Kiara

So excited for Chopped Cosplay! I haven't been able to do anything like it since AOD stopped having their Iron Cosplay competitions. Here's hoping my team can participate. <3

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

Xeluu

Since we are now getting down to a week before con I just wanted to check in on when we might be hearing more information about Chopped Cosplay. I got an e-mail saying the application was going to be forwarded to the right people, but I wanted to know if I should expect any further contact before arriving for the Friday event?
Thanks all, see you soon!
-Xeluu
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

SquishyK

Quote from: Xeluu on May 16, 2014, 04:03:48 AM
Since we are now getting down to a week before con I just wanted to check in on when we might be hearing more information about Chopped Cosplay. I got an e-mail saying the application was going to be forwarded to the right people, but I wanted to know if I should expect any further contact before arriving for the Friday event?
-Xeluu

If the response you got was something to the effect of "your application was received. I will forward it to the Chopped Team." Then don't sweat it, your application was accepted and the next step is to show up Friday at 6pm in the Market Room of the Hilton Hotel. They will give out more information about the competition then and possibly hold the qualifier round if we have more then 4 teams. If you have any other questions I can try to answer them. I'm not staff but I've participated in this event before.

Though I also have a question for the Chopped Cosplay staff:
Are there more then 4 teams signed up right now? (there seems to be more interest surrounding the event then there has been in previous years)

Tested/MythBusters:

BSaphire

Quote from: Xeluu on May 16, 2014, 04:03:48 AM
-Xeluu

The Chopped Cosplay Team Applications are CLOSED! :) Post #5 has been updated with day/time/location info on the Qualifying Round and the Teams are listed. There will be an email out today (I believe) to the team captains which will have the Team Handbook attached along with Qualifying Round information. Please check with your captains on that information.

The QR time starts at 6:30pm and after the four teams and one alternate win there will be the team orentation immediately following. It should all be done by 8pm so have your questions ready should your team make it to the show.

GOOD LUCK to ALL the Teams and Thank You for your participation in Chopped Cosplay 2014! It's going to be a FANTASTIC SHOW!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC